The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts about Dark Victory, Cinemaven, and Jackie. Lovely.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Sue Sue. I think I haven't watched it for years, because I didn't want to be disappointed.... the subject matter being what it was, I guess I thought it would not live up to my expectations. Well, there was none of that, it's a superb movie, at least in the running for the best women's pic ever made.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Agreed!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:Watching Dark Victory again day before yesterday, I saw none of that leftover Bogart-can't play-Irish-thing that I thought I remembered. And you know what? I thought he was pitch perfect.

His chemistry with her for that one scene in the stable room was like lightning. I thought it was a tremendous scene. So sue me! I liked him and his accent and the way he and Bette batted the ball back and forth, acting wise. There was a flash of brilliance in his scenes that made me sit up in my chair. Made me wish they'd done another movie where they actually had scenes alone together. It could have been like a battle between the gods.

I'm trying to remember when I first saw this movie, did I really think Bogie was terrible? I can't imagine it watching now. I totally loved him this time, he added some fire and maleness to the proceedings, that's for sure, and personally, I thought the accent was extremely good except for the novelty of it coming out in his voice.

I think more than likely I read something about this movie and didn't really make up my own mind about his performance, I just latched onto the oddness of an Irish accent coming out of Bogie's mouth.... I mean did folks back tin 39 think it was weird, or have we simply decided more recently that Bogie can only be Bogie in noir or quietly boozing himself to death in Casablanca? Is it that we have an image of him that is iconic and this character role doesn't fit that narrow perception? I find it no more odd than Bogie in naval uniform as Captain Queeg.
You have given me a lot of food for thought for my comments on Bogie as an Irishman. I confess that I am guilty of being a naysayer and said as much in my post. I allowed myself to get distracted because I looked at the scene with the knowledge of what Bogie's career WOULD become. It's a trap I think all of us film buffs fall into if we're not careful; the trap I call "MisChronology." Since we're most likely NOT viewing these stars' films in their chronological order, we're forming opinions on their earlier work based on our opinions of their later performances. Sooooo, we get locked into seeing them one way. As you put it here: "...have we simply decided more recently that Bogie can only be Bogie in noir or quietly boozing himself to death in Casablanca?" I may be guilty of that here. I think of Robert Osborne introducing "Platinum Blonde" and saying it's said that Harlow was mis-cast in the role. I don't think she was. I perfectly believed she was a rich girl who wanted everything until she was tired of it. So you're right. There IS a difference between whether or not Bogie's brogue sounds authentic and do we accept his characterization as an Irishman. I'll be very conscious of that from here on out. I can accept him as Queeg...but as a "COWBOY?" ( Uh-oh...give me time, doctor. )
I think there's nothing I can add to Maven's splendid analysis of Geraldine Fitzgerald's fine performance. She's just aces here, and deserved the long career she had. But it is Bette's picture, and this movie really shows her at her best. Bette was superb, so fragile, and this is something you never expect with Bette, and it's what makes the movie and her performance so outstanding. Bette is not herself at all but really and truly Judith Traherne, and she totally loses herself in the role. There is no grandstanding, even in the scene where she's trapped Brent and Fitzgerald in the bar. Everything she does is unexpected, whether it's showing her vulnerability, or the way she aches over the news and tries to run from it, but can't. She plays the opposite of every Bette Davis move you think you know.

Nice Jaxxxon. I thought Bette's body language was very different than what I was used to seeing...which goes back to your previous point.
I have to say that after watching again after so many years, this one is still my favorite Bette Davis performance. And that is saying one heck of a lot. She was able to completely transcend the material, and along with Goulding turned it into one of the best movies ever made. You can't take your eyes off Bette. The light touch was perfect for this film, and it made what could have been ridiculous and heavy handed something filled with hope and beauty. It IS, it's a beautiful film.

So yeah, I cried a bucketful.
You really can't take your eyes off Bette Davis, can you? She holds the screen. We watch her journey. I daresay this film just might help someone who is coming to terms with the same fate Judith had to. It's one of the jewels in the crown of Davis' career. Wendy, what are some of your other favorite Bette Davis films?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's hard because I have to break it into two groups - performances and movies.

Favorite Performances:

1. Dark Victory
2. Now Voyager
3. All About Eve
4. Elizabeth and Essex
5. The Catered Affair
6. The Little Foxes
7. Dead Ringer

I left The Letter off the list because it's not a favorite for me, however, there is no denying that it's a GREAT performance.

Favorite Movies:

1, Dark Victory
2. Now Voyager
3. All About Eve
4. The Great Lie
5. Dangerous
6. Marked Woman
7. Elizabeth and Essex
8. Dead Ringer
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Bette was superb, so fragile, and this is something you never expect with Bette, and it's what makes the movie and her performance so outstanding. Bette is not herself at all but really and truly Judith Traherne, and she totally loses herself in the role. There is no grandstanding

After reading this, I recalled seeing Bette Davis in an interview (Dick Cavett, I believe) talking about the ending of the movie. She wanted to go up those stairs quietly, and die quietly...the studio insisted on over the top music to accompany her, and she was very unhappy with the results. I agree with her, it would have been much more powerful with little or no music.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I loved the whole thing, I never even thought of the music, except at the end when the camera closed in on her face and it swelled up as the screen faded. I thought it was perfect.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just saw Gene Krupa on TCM today and it was fantastic. Sal Mineo did a great job as Gene. I just love everything about it ... The Ups and Downs of his legendary career. I was surprised to see Yvonne (Batgirl) Craig had a role in this movie as Gloria Corregio.

It's really a fun movie to watch!

:)
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I agree kingme, that was a fine show. Sal Mineo really was a darn good actor and it was neat(o) to see a pre-Batgirl Yvonne Craig playing a kind of trampy part. BTW: James Darren is absolutely one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Tomorrow morning (Friday Jan. 11) at 6 AM (groan), LOVE IS A RACKET (1932) is playing.

I haven't seen it, but it's got Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Frances Dee as a girl heading toward the bad side of town, Ann Dvorak as the nice girl (!) and Lee Tracy as the good natured buddy (!!) It's directed by William Wellman so that + the cast bodes well. I'll be up at 5:55 to record this one, hopefully.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Western Guy wrote:I agree kingme, that was a fine show. Sal Mineo really was a darn good actor and it was neat(o) to see a pre-Batgirl Yvonne Craig playing a kind of trampy part. BTW: James Darren is absolutely one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.
James Darren was good too. I forgot to mention him too.
:)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:That's hard because I have to break it into two groups - performances and movies.

Favorite Performances:

1. Dark Victory
2. Now Voyager
3. All About Eve
4. Elizabeth and Essex
5. The Catered Affair
6. The Little Foxes
7. Dead Ringer

I left The Letter off the list because it's not a favorite for me, however, there is no denying that it's a GREAT performance.

Favorite Movies:

1. Dark Victory
2. Now Voyager
3. All About Eve
4. The Great Lie
5. Dangerous
6. Marked Woman
7. Elizabeth and Essex
8. Dead Ringer
ImageImageImageImage

I like your list a lot Jaxx. I'm fond of all your Bettes - films and performances. I've never seen "The Catered Affair" all the way through though. Bette-strong, Bette-regular, Bette-repressed, Bette-spoiled, Bette & Bette. There's Bette-the Queen of England, Bette-the Mom of the Bronx and Bette-the B*tch. Is she schizophrenic? Are they all inside her? Is it just convincing pretend?

What's she going to do, what choices is she going to make. I love to watch her. I think Bette Davis is one of the Golden Age's most fascinating creatures.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

5:00 PM (PST) ... 8:00 PM (EST) Comedy
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963)

8:00 PM (PST) ... 11:00 (EST) Comedy
Great Race, The (1965)

I just saw these two movies and they were incredibly funny ... and I ever get tired of watching them ... because I love comedies. :D :lol: :) :D :lol: :) :!:
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The new Star of the Month interstitial on Loretta Young is narrated by her god-daughter, Marlo Thomas, and is quite good. I didn't know that. Wonderful clips and some great photos.

I saw it this morning just before this week's installment of Torchy Blane.

What do you think of it?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese