The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Vecchiolarry

Re: The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Dear Lynn,

I think it is a wonderful homage to a beautiful woman, who exhibited glamour and charm and style.
The celebrities of today should be made to view this feature and others of yesteryear's stars and see what not to do - massive tattooings all over themselves and bolts in their faces!!
Nobody wants to see grotesque, but beauty instead...

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lynn, I thought it was lovely.
Larry, we do want to see beauty and glamour.

Marlo seemed to truly cherish the memory of her godmother, and I felt that the editors used her comments and clips from her films to make it dramatic and relevant to the scope of her career. Bravo!

I did'nt realize that Werle also did some of Thomas' wardrobe for the first season of That Girl. I had only thought Cardinali was her designer on the show.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lzcutter wrote:The new Star of the Month interstitial on Loretta Young is narrated by her god-daughter, Marlo Thomas, and is quite good. I didn't know that. Wonderful clips and some great photos.

I saw it this morning just before this week's installment of Torchy Blane.

What do you think of it?
I loved it and found it surprisingly moving. It was great the way that Marlo Thomas blended her personal memories of Loretta Young with her public persona--best of all were the family home movies of "Gretchen" and her family having fun included at the end of the segment. This was beautifully edited and just made me want to record all the films this month. It has been a joy to see the less familiar early films with Young. You can see the TCM video here:
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/5701 ... homas.html

I'm looking forward to the familiar favorites I grew up on in the coming month, as well as such rarities as the totally cornball and politically offensive but engaging Kentucky (1938) when Young was paired with the second most handsome fellow in films, Richard Greene (who should have played Tyrone Power's brother); the marital mystery-comedy A Night to Remember (1942) with Brian Aherne, and Grand Slam (1933), an early Paul Lukas thriller about....(you guessed it!) the card game of Bridge that swept the country from the '30s through the '50s. I've only seen portions of these films over time and am very curious about them.

If anyone is interested, the memories of many of the people who worked with Young on her television show are captured at the Archive of American Television below. Don't miss the story that Hugh O'Brian, then a recent Marine veteran with the vocabulary to prove it, tells about his experience on The Loretta Young Show. He also had an unexpected real life connection to the Young family, looking vaguely familiar to his leading lady.:

A http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... g-show-the
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:I did'nt realize that Werle also did some of Thomas' wardrobe for the first season of That Girl. I had only thought Cardinali was her designer on the show.
Christy, I always loved the clothes on That Girl, though I could never afford or make them look as good as they did on Marlo. You might enjoy hearing Marlo Thomas' comments on her fashions, hair, and stylish wardrobe on That Girl. These comments about her cutting edge fashions in this portion of her interview from the Archive of American Television:
[youtube][/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for the link, Moira!

I also adored those clothes, and she looked fabulous in them. I'll never forget the episode when she was packing her sweaters away for the summer.

And what would we have done if Ann Miller hadn't invented pantyhose! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:And what would we have done if Ann Miller hadn't invented pantyhose! :lol:
We would have spent a lifetime adjusting ourselves! Thank you, Ann Miller!

Now, of course, we have to worry because they say pantyhose is going the way of the snood and white gloves since many women prefer to go bare-legged. Maybe Danskin will keep making these "essentials."

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chester Morris and companions are looking over some document in LAW OF THE UNDERWORLD (1938), one of the better B movies on TCM today as the network spotlights the many programmers of director Lew Landers. This individual, who began in movies as an actor under D.W. Griffith and ended directing Superman episodes, is best remembered for the horror film, THE RAVEN (1935), but Landers worked in almost every genre. Here are the interesting films on tap today (all times shown are ET):

7:15 AM
LIVING ON LOVE (1937)

A man and woman working different shifts share the same apartment without realizing it.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: James Dunn , Whitney Bourne , Joan Woodbury .
BW-62 mins, TV-G,

8:30 AM
CRASHING HOLLYWOOD (1938)

A true to life gangster movie stirs up an all out mob assault on Hollywood.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Lee Tracy , Joan Woodbury , Paul Guilfoyle .
BW-61 mins, TV-G,

9:32 AM
HOLLYWOOD THE SECOND STEP (1936)

Jane Barnes' first steps to becoming a star, starting out as an extra and then a stand-in for Maureen O'Sullivan.
Dir: Felix E. Feist
BW-10 mins,

9:45 AM
DOUBLE DANGER (1938)

A jewel thief faces surprising competition when he tries to rob the police commissioner's home.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Preston Foster , Whitney Bourne , Donald Meek .
BW-62 mins, TV-G,

11:00 AM
LAW OF THE UNDERWORLD (1938)

A respectable citizen lures two innocents into his secret criminal plots.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Chester Morris , Anne Shirley , Eduardo Ciannelli .
BW-61 mins, TV-G,

12:15 PM
FIXER DUGAN (1939)

A circus man adopts an aerialist's daughter.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Lee Tracy , Virginia Weidler , Peggy Shannon .
BW-68 mins, TV-G,

1:30 PM
TWELVE CROWDED HOURS (1939)

A reporter avenges his editor's murder by gangsters.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Richard Dix , Lucille Ball , Allan Lane .
BW-65 mins, TV-G,

2:45 PM
BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU, THE (1942)

A young divorcee tries to convert a house into a hotel despite its oddball inhabitants.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Boris Karloff , Peter Lorre , Maxie Rosenbloom .
BW-67 mins, TV-PG,

4:00 PM
STAND BY ALL NETWORKS (1942)

A radio reporter sets out to track down and expose Nazi agents.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Florence Rice , John Beal , Margaret Hayes .
BW-65 mins, TV-PG,

5:15 PM
SUBMARINE RAIDER (1942)

A submarine captain tries to warn the Navy about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: John Howard , Marguerite Chapman , Bruce Bennett .
BW-64 mins, TV-PG,

6:30 PM
TRUTH ABOUT MURDER, THE (1946)

A prosecutor's girlfriend sets out to prove a murder suspect is innocent.
Dir: Lew Landers Cast: Bonita Granville , Morgan Conway , Rita Corday .
BW-63 mins, TV-PG, CC,

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

FIRE and ICE

Those feisty gals seem to come from Brooklyn ( Clara Bow, Barbara Stanwyck... ) Today, TCM features another one of them - SUSAN HAYWARD - in a spate of movies:

8:15 AM - THE HAIRY APE ( 1944 ) - A ship's stoker becomes obsessed with a society beauty who finds him repulsive. Dir: Alfred Santell Cast: William Bendix, Susan Hayward, John Loder.

10:00 AM - DEADLINE AT DAWN ( 1946 ) - An aspiring actress risks her life to clear a sailor charged with murder. Dir: Harold Clurman Cast: Susan Hayward, Paul Lukas, Bill Williams.

11:30 AM - THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ( 1947 ) - A faithless husband is charged with a murder he didn't commit. Dir: Irving Pichel Cast: Susan Hayward, Robert Young, Jane Greer .

1:00 PM - TULSA ( 1949 ) - A cattle owner's daughter risks everything to drill for oil. Dir: Stuart Heisler Cast: Susan Hayward, Robert Preston, Pedro Armendariz.

2:30 PM - I'LL CRY TOMORROW ( 1955 ) - True story of singer Lillian Roth's battle against alcoholism. Dir: Daniel Mann Cast: Susan Hayward, Richard Conte, Eddie Albert .

4:30 PM - TOP SECRET AFFAIR ( 1957 ) - A female publishing magnate tries to keep a general she hates from securing a prestigious appointment. Dir: H. C. Potter Cast: Susan Hayward, Kirk Douglas , Paul Stewart.

6:15 PM - I THANK A FOOL ( 1962 ) - A woman once convicted of euthanasia gets a job caring for her prosecutor's wife. Dir: Robert Stevens Cast: Susan Hayward, Peter Finch, Diane Cilento.

If you have a moment, check out these critiques from your fellow board members. Oh you can read them freely, they contain no spoilers:

JACK FAVELL writes a lovely review for "DEADLINE AT DAWN."

FEAITO and KING RAT give their collective thumbs up to "THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME"

DIANE CILENTO has a thread of her own if you want to read some comments about this actress with the unusual voice.

And here's a great candid shot posted by our resident Candide...MONGO II
[u][color=#4000BF]MONGO II[/color][/u] wrote:Image
Susan Hayward as Lillian Roth (right) on location filming "I'll Cry Tomorrow"
Pssst! ...And one more thing: The conventional wisdom around these parts is to stay away from "Top Secret Affair." From what I've read about it at the Oasis, it should have stayed top secret. You'll be glad for the warning.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was excited to see three of my favorite Susan Hayward films today... The Hairy Ape, Deadline at Dawn, and They Won't Believe Me... all lined up in a row, nice and neat. I really want to see I Thank a Fool....it's been recommended but I haven't ever had the chance to see it before.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I was excited to see three of my favorite Susan Hayward films today... The Hairy Ape, Deadline at Dawn, and They Won't Believe Me... all lined up in a row, nice and neat. I really want to see I Thank a Fool....it's been recommended but I haven't ever had the chance to see it before.
Love Hayward's work in Deadline at Dawn--too bad Harold Clurman didn't direct more films.

I look forward to your comments on I Thank a Fool, one of my favorite titles of all time (that name is right up there--or is it down?--with Kiss the Blood Off My Hands). In honor of this latter-day Susan Hayward performance (and her heavy breathing, post-Oscar acting style) I give it three out of four flaring nostrils and will look in to see if I can catch the leading lady tossing her red mane haughtily two or three times.

I love Diane Cilento's wild child wife in this movie. The color and settings in this film are so lush and inviting, it makes me wish I too could be a convicted felon who went to work for my handsome former prosecutor. :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She really is outstanding in Deadline at Dawn. It's my favorite role of hers and I love the movie. I'll let you know how I feel about ITAF, should be a lot of fun. I don't know how much mane tossing I can take!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for mentioning Father Brown... I LOVE the stories. I would never have known from the title of the film that it was taken from the G K Chesterton character.

There are also some early British films on in the morning that are almost never seen. I can't wait to watch them, though I haven't really warmed up to Diana Wynyard much.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The League of Gentlemen (1960) a different sort of heist movie (the participants are all British veterans) with a great cast headed by Jack Hawkins (also in Malta Story and The Prisoner), Nigel Patrick, Roger Livesey and several other wonderful actors is on TCM this evening, Jan. 15th at 8pm ET. It is most entertaining.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh I missed this listing! Thank you!