The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
The Ingenue

Re: The January 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by The Ingenue »

[u]CineMaven[/u] wrote:Saw "CRY DANGER" which was a tough little picture. I wish Rhonda Fleming was a little more lethal lady.
I see what you mean, Maven. Rather like Gail Russell in "Calcutta"... or for that matter, Fred Astaire in "Holiday Inn": lovely, lonely, gentle Gail was just too tender-of-heart to play a Brigid O'Shaughnessy, and it was years before I realized Fred was supposed to be the heel of the Crosby-Reynolds-Astaire (not to mention the Crosby-Dale-Astaire) triangle.

On the other hand, and getting back properly to "Cry Danger", it was an interesting twist on Powell's tendency to fall for the "nice" girl.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Saw "CRY DANGER" which was a tough little picture. I wish Rhonda Fleming was a little more lethal lady.
CarrieLiz wrote:I see what you mean, Maven. Rather like Gail Russell in "Calcutta"... or for that matter, Fred Astaire in "Holiday Inn": lovely, lonely, gentle Gail was just too tender-of-heart to play a Brigid O'Shaughnessy, and it was years before I realized Fred was supposed to be the heel of the Crosby-Reynolds-Astaire (not to mention the Crosby-Dale-Astaire) triangle.

On the other hand, and getting back properly to "Cry Danger", it was an interesting twist on Powell's tendency to fall for the "nice" girl.
You know what CarrieLiz, as Dick Powell started to walk down the hill in the sunlight, leaving Regis to go to Rhonda’s trailer & it was dawning on me that "holy cow, the movie is ending???" ...I pictured her being hurt...then surprised...then hellcat-mad like redheads are. After I thought about it a bit, she is still kind of hidden though, but it really is a nice twist. I've made my peace with it. And good for Powell for being the indie producer on this. Nice tight movie.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Kingrat, I agree with you on "Seven Thieves." It is an okay caper film. Not bad, but there have been better.

"Gambit," with Michael Caine, Shirley MacLaine and Hebert Lom has always struck me as a better than average caper film, one that not enough people know about.

Funny how for a while, the caper film seemed to be everywhere, and we knew that one guy was "the driver," and another was "the explosives guy," and another was "the crazy guy," and so forth. And then the whole subgenre/cycle just went away. Even George Clooney's "Ocean's" films never really brought them back.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT:
TCM SPOTLIGHT: GREAT CAPERS
Tuesday, the 29th

Italian Job, The (1969)
Looking At London (1946)
Lavender Hill Mob, The (1951)
They Came To Rob Las Vegas (1969)
Armored Car Robbery (1950)
Guns, Girls and Gangsters (1958)
Hoodlum, The (1951)

I kinda looking forward to Tuesday Night ... and thinking about watching all of these films. I will watch the 1st four films and let my DVR to record the rest of them.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ah, yes...THE HOODLUM.

From a May 2009 post after a viewing, courtesy of Dewey, at the Roxie:

You must remember this: nobody loves a sociopath...not even his mother. Lawrence Tierney brooded on and shot up the screen as Vincent Lubeck, THE HOODLUM. Released from jail -- for about the fifth time -- only because of the pleas of his mother, Vincent is planning a bank heist 24 hours later. By the time it comes to fruition, he's gotten his brother's girlfriend pregnant and she's committed suicide. Then his partners take his share because he wants to shortchange them. While he's on the lam, they are killed (or nearly killed) trying to escape the cops. Vincent goes to Mama, who's on her deathbed, but finds the strength to let him know that he's never been able to escape the stink of the world because he is the stink. His brother takes him to the dump to finish him off, but before he pulls his trigger, the cops pull theirs. Yes, indeed, truly a feel-good movie with a bit role by the smarmy O.Z. Whitehead.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ChiO ... Great Write Up on the Hoodlum Movie ... and thanks for sharing it.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

CORTEZ SIGHTING! CORTEZ SIGHTING!...AND ONLY AN HOUR LONG!

MONDAY - JANUARY 28TH, 2013 - 7:30AM

HAT, COAT AND GLOVE (1934) - A lawyer gets mixed up in a net of intrigue when he witnesses a suicide.
Dir: Worthington Miner Cast: Ricardo Cortez, Barbara Robbins, John Beal. BW-65 mins, TV-G/

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes! I'll be there!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:)