Elia Kazan Films

Discussion of programming on TCM.
JackFavell

Re: Elia Kazan Films

Post by JackFavell »

I think you are right about Brando and the overindulgence, but it doesn't bother me much.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Zapata" is a good film, if not a great one. There's a lot of talk. Opposing views of politics and morality. It's not always exciting. But the cast is good; the story intelligent. I think Steinbeck wrote the screenplay. It's worth watching.

contemprorary films, ones that reflect the time they were made, On The Waterfront, Streetcar fit in this category, as does Face In The Crowd.

Do they ever. Kazan had a talent for this. He was very much in touch with his times. I, also, prefer more or less contemporary stories. The Depression, WW2: that's close enough. It's 20th Century. I don't jump at costume drama or historical epics. Then there are westerns. The rules don't apply to cowboys! I'm always up for that!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't think most people would view Westerns as historical dramas, they have their own dress. Even with Westerns it's those with contemprorary feel to them that I like, The Ox Bow Incident, Stagecoach etc. I do like historical if there is a strong story, I'm not over keen on biopics but stories like in The Heiress, Jezebel I like those.

Yes, Brando was an actor that could overindulge himself, or simply not give a role his all but when he's good there's something like a breathe of fresh air about him, I think the freshest he gets is in On The Waterfront, although I love him in Streetcar, Guys and Dolls, Sayonara and One Eyed Jacks to name a few.

Looking at Kazan's filmography I'm thinking this must be a man who kept up with stage work too. I must watch Gentleman's Agreement, that's another I haven't seen.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's OK, not one of my favorites. For me the most interesting parts are John Garfield's and Dorothy McGuire's.

The best thing about Brando is he's not afraid to go anywhere. He's so open as an actor it hurts. He'll go to places we don't even dream of existing... he's fearless. This leads to overindulgence, but who cares? One Eyed Jacks is overindulgent and yet I still love it. I think he stopped trying when suddenly it was all about everything but the acting, people focused on him differently and that's a shame.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Alison, Brando is very moving in Sayonara, but his accent is very distracting to many of us in the US. It is not just Southern, but what was then called Negro. It certainly complicates a film that is about race!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

JF wrote regarding Gentlemen's Agreement:
It's OK, not one of my favorites. For me the most interesting parts are John Garfield's and Dorothy McGuire's.

Then you like it much more than I do. And it has you-know-who.

I certainly agree regarding Garfield -- he takes a small role and makes it one of the most riveting of his career.

Give me CROSSFIRE.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

ChiO wrote:
JF wrote regarding Gentlemen's Agreement:

Then you like it much more than I do. And it has you-know-who.

I certainly agree regarding Garfield -- he takes a small role and makes it one of the most riveting of his career.

Give me CROSSFIRE.

I was trying to be kind about it. :D It was a big disappointment for me, but I do find Garfield and McGuire fascinating.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Am I going to have to give my Gregory Peck talk again? That film was written by Mr. Moss Hart. I admire his contributions to the theatre.
charliechaplinfan

I never realised that Brando's accent was that of a negro in Sayanora, how confusing and unhelpful, I know Brando was all for equality and civil rights but it's still strange, I wonder what he was thinking. He was such a big star at that time that he was allowed to get away with anything.

I do agre Wendy about the kind of actor he was. I think that's why On The Waterfront really resonated with me the first time I saw it, I'd never seen any man on screen so unashamedly vulnerable and unsure of what to do. He's so touching with Eve Marie Saint. The one film I haven't managed to get through is Mutiny on the Bounty, he's so foppish but supposedly more true to Fletcher Christian than any other screen portrayal. I'll take Gable in that role.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, but I like Brando in almost everything else I've seen him in. Even up to the more recent films. I get very irritable when instead of focusing on his acting, they commented about his weight or family problems. That has nothing to do with it!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]CHARLIE[/u] [u]CHAPLIN[/u] [u]FAN[/u] wrote:Looking at Kazan's filmography I'm thinking this must be a man who kept up with stage work too. I must watch Gentleman's Agreement, that's another I haven't seen.
Let us know what you think of this when you get a chance to see it. I enjoy the film and what it tried to do. I never quite understood the anti-Semitic prejudice that people took...take. I like how Peck goes undercover to uncover it, and how brave or cautious the studio was to put that out. Many moguls were Jewish and probably didn't want to upset the applecart of of...well you know, we talked about it elsewhere. Peck & McGuire were very good where this topic spills over into their relationship and misunderstandings abound.
[u]JACK[/u] [u]FAVELL[/u] wrote:It's OK, not one of my favorites. For me the most interesting parts are John Garfield's and Dorothy McGuire's.

I liked them both in it. McGuire had to walk a tightrope of not being misunderstood by her lover, and maybe harboring prejudiced attitudes herself. My favorite role in this was Celeste Holm.

She won an Oscar for this film and I like her being the 'Career Girl' suffering from unrequited love. Touching. ( Yay Celeste! )
[u]ChiO[/u] wrote:Then you like it much more than I do. And it has you-know-who. Give me CROSSFIRE.
Oh no...don't tell me I'm going to have to listen to anti-Peck talk when I come to Chicago? Lemme know now. Re: "CROSSFIRE" are you talking about its anti-Semitic plot line? You prefer its dealing with it over "Gentlemen's Agreement's"?

P.S. Relative to nothing...did anyone watch the Superbowl and see the ad about the Clyesdale horse? Sweeeeeeeeeet! :cry:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

CM wrote:
Oh no...don't tell me I'm going to have to listen to anti-Peck talk when I come to Chicago?
Hey! I didn't start it! JF and CCF started it! Make them stop! I knew you liked them more!

Nah, I won't bring him up if you don't.

And...
Re: "CROSSFIRE" are you talking about its anti-Semitic plot line? You prefer its dealing with it over "Gentlemen's Agreement's"?
Sure, that too. It just immediately leapt to mind as a slightly earlier movie with an anti-Semitic plot line. But plot line aside, yes, I prefer CROSSFIRE. Of the 14 or so Kazan features I've seen, I'd put it very near the bottom, if not the bottom.

Don't ask me why. You probably don't really want to know.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

oy!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:Of the 14 or so Kazan features I've seen, I'd put it very near the bottom, if not the bottom.
Could the jaw-dropping chaos that is Elia Kazan's The Arrangement (1969) be near the end of that list?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

JackFavell wrote:I agree, but I like Brando in almost everything else I've seen him in. Even up to the more recent films. I get very irritable when instead of focusing on his acting, they commented about his weight or family problems. That has nothing to do with it!

Amen to that.

Gregory Peck, that wasn't me, honest :wink: I think he's too safe a pair of hands, without a hint of wrongdoing, that's all. But of course I have to watch more of his movies.