Anatomy of a Murder

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Anatomy of a Murder

Post by mrsl »

This is one of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies, as well as wonderful Eve Arden as his secretary. I love just watching Stewart play the 'good ol' boy' which he does so very well. I can sit and watch this movie over and over again which I have done and rarely, if I see it listed as coming on, I will tune in to watch from the very beginning. Some of my favorites I can tune in after the first half hour or so, but never Anatomy . . . I love courtroom dramas and this is one of the best. I also seem to recall that the man who played the judge was actually a retired judge and did the film as a lark.

I was around when the movie first came out, but the thing that really made it big, I think, were the ads that went out. I'm not sure of the sequence, but the first ad was an empty box (in the movie section), with only a silhouette of an arm, the next week same thing with the head, next week, a leg, and etc. until the entire body was shown. It was a great ad campaign (worthy of Mad Men), and you went crazy wondering what it was all about. Words didn't appear in the ad until the very last week, I think. Remember, I'm trying to recall 60 years ago, but it really whetted your appetite.

All the acting was superb, and seeing George C. Scott as a young smart aleck was an added pleasure, especially when little old Jimmy out-smarts him. And I never tire of the twisted ending. This was writing, acting and directing at it's very finest.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Robert Regan

Re: Anatomy of a Murder

Post by Robert Regan »

And don't forget the excellent work of young Lee Remick in a part originally slated for Lana Turner! Sometime things do work out for the better!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oh Bob.

"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Can a girl ask a silly question?: Are those Andy's teeth?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You tell me who your avatar is, and I'll confirm OR deny Andy's ( "A FACE IN THE CROWD" ) dental records.

The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Deal. I managed to tame the threatened answering ramble ( somewhat ), and posted it at the site of your original question: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=536&p=124412#p124412
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well, I'll mosey on over there, CarrieLiz and see wassup and who's who.

By the by, "Anatomy Of A Murder" is one of my favorite films. I remember being very young sitting in the living room with my father, being allowed to stay up late to watch this. I felt grownup even though I didn't understand half of what was going on. ( My father told me the judge was a real judge. ) Very adult film by Preminger...pulls no cutesy punches. Gets it all out in the open. Wonderful performances by all, but I especially like George C. Scott's laser beamed skill.

...And who am I kidding, I like Lee Remick too.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"BARNEY QUILL IS WHAT MISS PAQUETTE?!!!"

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I prefer Scott's younger, supporting roles to his star vehicles. He's a fine actor. But his work in this film, "Strangelove," and especially THE HUSTLER is exceptional. "Anatomy" is a scintillating legal drama. On another thread, I stated that few Preminger films rate extreme praise from this viewer. This one gets an A plus. Along with the thoughtful ADVISE AND CONSENT, it displays the director at his best.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like how you said that, "never putting his thumb on the scales". You are very right, he treats all his characters in an adult, sophisticated way without judgment.

I like your description of the way we see Jimmy using his image in order to best the city lawyers - he's tearing a page out of Claudius' book, by making his opponents think he is too dumb to even be worth the effort, while constantly pulling rabbits out of his hat.

Preminger doesn't even make a judgment on whether this is a good marriage or a bad marriage. I think they are perfect for each other, and it seems to work for them. I could see them being together for a short time, but I could also see them staying together for years, and people talking about how they never thought that they would have made it this long. I think it's kind of cool that their definition of marriage is to have fun while they can, and care as long as it lasts. Can we really make a commitment based on anything else? At least they aren't tied together out of boredom, like Eve Arden and Paul Douglas in We're Not Married. Neither finds the excitement they crave in anyone else and that seems pretty good to me.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Robert Regan reminded me that Lee Remick was also memorable in Anatomy . . . but the point she makes is the huge evolution that has occurred between 1959 and now, as far as sexy goes. She was supposed to be voluptuous but actually looked pretty average to me and although her skirts were tight, the unattractive length looked downright dowdy. Also, George C. suggested that being bare legged showed a wanton type of behavior. I recall a few months ago saying that the bare legged look (without nylons), was an ugly look, but was vetoed down by the fellows disagreeing. Of course being a woman I can't look at the sight with a man's eye so who am I to judge? And I wonder how many of you remember that the lovely Mary Pilant was Kathryn Crosby, 2nd wife of Bing? Her wispy little curly-cue on her left temple was a natural give-away, and the way I usually spotted her in the few movies she did before retiring to be Mrs. Bing. I was right about the judge, but I didn't know that he only agreed to do the movie if his wife had a part, so she was one of the jurors. Must have been fun times on the set.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

kingrat wrote:
One of the most interesting aspects of ANATOMY OF A MURDER is that Preminger doesn't tell us what we're supposed to think of the characters.
That is why Preminger is one of my favorite directors and the common thread among all the the directors I most admire.

Respect for the characters and, as a result, respect for the audience.

Call it the "Anti-Stanley Kramer School of Directing."

Characters may do stupid things. Characters may do evil things. Characters may do wonderful things. But they are always people. And the director does not judge them, leaving that...and all of the attendant ambiguity...for the audience to ponder.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

What’s not to believe?

[u][color=#4000BF]KING[/color][/u] [u][color=#4000BF]RAT[/color][/u] wrote:Stewart's slimeball client deserves to go to prison for a long time, and a man should be reluctant to take sexy Lee Remick's word for anything without other evidence. If she lied to her husband and brought about the catastrophe, she doesn't feel much guilt about it.
Brother Rat...you’re not blaming the victim, are you?