Period Styles

Discussion of programming on TCM.
RedRiver

Re: Period Styles

Post by RedRiver »

DEADLINE AT DAWN is fun, if light. Kind of cute and frolicking for noir, it nonetheless delivers the suspense, and it does so at a galloping pace. The characters are simple and clearly drawn. The plot, though by now I've forgotten it, is thrilling. It's what carries this otherwise, marginal production. Odets was a challenging and ponderous playwright. But this straightforward material reflects little of his trademark social statement. Like you, King Rat, I wonder how much of the story is the product of Woolrich's wild imagination and what came from Odets. We don't need to know. The result is a fast, exciting popcorn feature!

As a teenager, I called movies like this "Bill Williams Movies"! I didn't know many directors. Didn't think about terms and categories. It seemed this hard-working contract player was in a lot of them. I'd say to my brother, "There's a Bill Williams Movie on. Want to watch it?"
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:DEADLINE AT DAWN is fun, if light. Kind of cute and frolicking for noir, it nonetheless delivers the suspense, and it does so at a galloping pace. The characters are simple and clearly drawn. The plot, though by now I've forgotten it, is thrilling. It's what carries this otherwise, marginal production. Odets was a challenging and ponderous playwright. But this straightforward material reflects little of his trademark social statement. Like you, King Rat, I wonder how much of the story is the product of Woolrich's wild imagination and what came from Odets. We don't need to know. The result is a fast, exciting popcorn feature!

As a teenager, I called movies like this "Bill Williams Movies"! I didn't know many directors. Didn't think about terms and categories. It seemed this hard-working contract player was in a lot of them. I'd say to my brother, "There's a Bill Williams Movie on. Want to watch it?"
Nicely Written about Deadline at Dawn ... Red.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Odets changed Woolrich's plot a bit, but retains the theme and some motifs (pretty standard operating procedure -- see, for example, BLACK ANGEL).

For my eyes, it is more faithful to Woolrich than REAR WINDOW, which keeps the plot, but changes the tone.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

And here I thought this thread was going to be about art direction and fashion in period films. :D

Very interesting ideas about Deadline at Dawn and League of Gentlemen. I haven't seen Dead Heat yet.

I LOVE Deadline at Dawn. The quirky characters, the gorgeous lighting and slightly perverse nighttime atmosphere all blend to make this one of my favorite movies, much less noir films. I think the emphasis on Woolrich's words, themes and motifs and Nick Musuraca's beautiful cinematography make D at D a real hidden gem. Not really sure how good a director Clurman is, but he doesn't get in the way of what's worth watching here, which is a relief. Great acting by all. Susan Hayward and Lola Lane really stand out for me, but no one is a slouch.

I definitely see that realism you are talking about in League of Gents and I think you're review was spot on. I just would have liked a couple of those thrills you talked about it sacrificing. I think the film could have added moments of surprise but still made it's point and retained the suspense it built up, which was considerable.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]JACK FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:And here I thought this thread was going to be about art direction and fashion in period films. :D

Ha...Naaaaah. That would be this, Wendy:

http://moviestarmakeover.com/2012/02/27 ... yle-watch/
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nice! That black dress on Rose whoeversheis was my favorite of the night. It's perfect.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I haven't seen BLOW UP in about 40 years. I wasn't crazy for it at the time, but what did I know? Your comments remind me vaguely of my own feelings so long ago.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What is really happening in the park?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm sorry, I've seen the movie, it was a favorite of mine as well when I first saw it. I wasn't really asking for a play by play, I was trying to be funny... which failed miserably! I was trying to say that we don't know what happened in the park at all since we are looking at everything from a subjective viewpoint.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm sure you all know this, but Brian DePalma did a fair homage to this film with his BLOW-OUT. The pivotal concept being sound, rather than photography. It's not a classic thriller, but it has its moments.