The March 2013 TCM Schedule

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Rita Hayworth

Re: The March 2013 TCM Schedule

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sunday, 3/17 to Saturday, 3/23 on TCM
I will be watching these ...

Sunday ... The Quiet Man, 1952
Sunday ... The Prisoner of Zenda, 1922 ... This is a silent movie. Looking forward seeing this.

Monday ... I'm planning on making a mini-marathon with Greer Garson that evening. Starting with Desire Me and ending with The Law and the Lady. So, I'm planning on making several cups of Coffee that evening.

Tuesday ... Call Northside 777, 1948

Wednesday ... Forbidden Planet, 1956
Wednesday ... 20 Million Miles to Earth, 1957

Thursday ... Manhattan Melordrama, 1934
Thursday ... Complusion, 1959

Friday ... No Movies for Me, I will be gone that day.

Saturday ... The Hypnotic Eye, 1960
Saturday ... Battle of the Bulge, 1965
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Went to bed with the ghostly sound of Garry Owen playing in my head from the massacre of the Indian Village in Little Big Man... woke up to the sound of Garry Owen played in The Fighting 69th. Gave me a distinctly odd feeling.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

There are a couple of classic classics coming on TCM this Tuesday:

8:45AM - STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR (1940) - A newspaperman serves as key witness in a circumstantial murder case. Dir: Boris Ingster Cast:  Peter Lorre, John McGuire, Margaret Tallichet. 64 mins.

A nice discussion ensued thanxx to Chi0 starting it off a little earlier.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 52#p117452
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 19#p117919

11:15 AM - THE MAN WHO TALKED TOO MUCH, (1940) - A defense lawyer sets out to topple a powerful gangster. Dir: Vincent Sherman Cast:  George Brent, Virginia Bruce, Brenda Marshall. 76 mins.

0hhhhhkay, perhaps not officially a "classic." But I think it'll probably be a classically "B" film. And there's the"other" Georgie.

3:30 PM - THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940) - Truck driving brothers are framed for murder by a lady psycho. Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast:  George Raft, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Humphrey Bogart. 95 mins.

Wonderfully plotted. Sheridan simmers, Ida's meltdown - epic. * George, the other "other" Georgie is on point, pitch perfect, and shows what he can do with a good role.

6:15 PM - THE LETTER (1940) - A woman claims to have killed in self-defense, until a blackmailer turns up with incriminating evidence. Dir: William Wyler Cast:  Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, James Stephenson, Gale Sondergaard. 95 mins.

Perfection. Perfection on soooooo many levels. But we can start with Bette who lies and lies and lies until fate finds her.

8:00 PM - THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) - Three returning servicemen fight to adjust to life after World War II. Dir: William Wyler Cast:  Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright. 170 mins.

Epic. Sublime. Almost the best performances of their career by EVERYone involved. :cry:

1:15 AM ON THE WATERFRONT (1954) - A young stevedore takes on the mobster who rules the docks. Dir: Elia Kazan Cast:  Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb.108 mins. Letterbox Format.

BRANDO. KAZAN. No contender...a champion.

* ( The real George is our "Dear Boy." ) :wink:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was excited to see The Man Who Talked Too Much on the list here, because it's another Vince Sherman film, like those Ann Sheridan films the other day.

The other George, would that be George Tobias? :D I see him listed as well, plus some other great character actors, like Louis Jean Heydt, Clarence Kolb, Marc Lawrence, Richard Barthelmess and ...John Ridgely of course. Nah. I know you are talking about our Dear Boy! A movie just isn't a movie until you've seen the secondary cast list.

It also has William Lundigan who I like very much in a Dennis O'Keefe kind of way. He's a big, comforting presence, not too hard on the eyes, and not too taxing to watch. He may make Brent look positively fascinating!

Or vice versa.... :shock:

kingrat, I really love Young Cassidy, it's a fine film. I don't think episodic is a bad thing, in fact, I love episodic films. I agree with all you say, and although Ford absolutely loved O'Casey, perhaps the more modern aspects to the story might not have been his territory... however, I would never underestimate him on this point - his next film 7 Women is completely different from anything else he'd done and shows a quite modern sensibility.

In Young Cassidy, my favorite scenes are the ones with Michael Redgrave and Edith Evans, except of course for the shirtless ones.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[color=#4000BF][u]Jack[/u] [u]Favell[/u][/color] wrote:I was excited to see The Man Who Talked Too Much on the list here, because it's another Vince Sherman film, like those Ann Sheridan films the other day.
Oh snap. I hadn't even noticed that it was a Vincent Sherman film. That's a plus then.
The other George, would that be George Tobias? :D I see him listed as well, plus some other great character actors, like Louis Jean Heydt, Clarence Kolb, Marc Lawrence, Richard Barthelmess and ...John Ridgely of course. Nah. I know you are talking about our Dear Boy! A movie just isn't a movie until you've seen the secondary cast list.
Yeah, you're sooooooo right about that. And as I've said before, the bench sure does run deep in casting back then. ( You've got a hit on your hands if you've got John Ridgely in your cast. And a veritable box office bonanza if you've got John AND Louis Jean!! Who needs the Duke & McLaglen. )
It also has William Lundigan who I like very much in a Dennis O'Keefe kind of way. He's a big, comforting presence, not too hard on the eyes, and not too taxing to watch. He may make Brent look positively fascinating!
ImageImageImage

You've got your finger on the pulse of the artery of the vein of the femur and jugular of The Character Leading Men Hierarchy. :) Instead of me wasting what's left of my brain cells trying to figure out why Lundigan didn't become a bigger star ( he was great looking, deep voice, tall... ) I just accept that there were certain tiers people fell into; probably never to rise above their "station."
Or vice versa.... :shock:
I second that emotion--------> :shock: :shock:
In Young Cassidy, my favorite scenes are the ones with Michael Redgrave and Edith Evans, except of course for the shirtless ones.
It's so nice to have a poet around the house. :oops:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Oh looky, Wayne Morris! I think he probably had the best career of the three, he just kept going and going, acting in every single thing they put him in no matter what the role or how goofy it was. He turns up from the thirties right through the fifties! He deserves a lifetime achievement award for taking one for the team every time. I always think, when these guys started out, did they think they would be playing these kinds of roles? Or were they serious dedicated actors who would have rather been playing Julius Caesar?

(speaking of JC , I saw Ian Wolfe wrap his mouth around a couple of lines there with such wonderful brio... it was probably what he dreamed of all his life - his finest moment in film - except he was listed second to last in the credits and literally only got a few moments on screen.)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I should have also said that Stranger on the Third Floor is absolutely a must see! The camera work is intense and beautiful, a precursor to noir. Very good.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Night Court is a good solid film, It's got a good performance by Phillips Holmes, and Huston of course is his big bad self. I thought Eskimo was excellent. I've only seen half of The Pagan - Dorothy Janis is quite beautiful and so is Ramon Novarro, it's about innocent island people being taken advantage of by whites.

I'm especially looking forward to the Joan Crawford/Clark Gable films. And don't forget coming up on Saturday are PAID (don't miss it) and Forsaking All Others. Paid has my gal Marie Prevost in it, and is a perfect Joan vehicle, later remade over and over again with the likes of Margaret Lindsey and Ruth Hussey. Gal from the streets gets sent up the river for something she didn't do, so she gets revenge by studying law in order to bend it.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like Paid, I like the early Gable/Crawford films, they suit each other in style and looks, like they were made to star together.

I wish I could have seen Fear, it's the only one of Ingrid's films I haven't seen, never a dull film with Rossellini and Bergman.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:I'm especially looking forward to the Joan Crawford/Clark Gable films. And don't forget coming up on Saturday are PAID (don't miss it) and Forsaking All Others. Paid has my gal Marie Prevost in it, and is a perfect Joan vehicle, later remade over and over again with the likes of Margaret Lindsey and Ruth Hussey. Gal from the streets gets sent up the river for something she didn't do, so she gets revenge by studying law in order to bend it.

Sounds right...up...my...alley!