August 2013 on TCM - Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: August 2013 on TCM - Summer Under the Stars

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:WOW! Congrats on your blog post!

Yes, there is this distinct impression that though Macomber sees this as a friendship, or maybe a mentor-student relationship, Wilson is more aware of the rivalry factors, and the big picture. He is the stronger so he is quite torn. I think were it not for Margo, Wilson and Macomber might be friends, or perhaps Wilson would not have bothered at all with Macomber, but all in all, the whole thing would not have been a to-the-death situation. It would have been a take-him-or-leave-him-alone situation. Wilson's biggest problem is that he sees this, and yet he also sees Margo trapped in a relationship with an inferior man. He cannot stop himself from messing with Margo.
Thank you Wendy. I like your comments here. I'm looking forward to watching it again tonight. I think "THE MACOMBER AFFAIR" is a many-layered thing. One almost has to watch the movie three times and pay attention only to each part of the triangle with each viewing. The movie sooooooo caught me off guard.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Fabulous essay about all things "Macomber," Theresa! (I left a comment at the site.)

Congratulations! A job well done, revelations well made.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx a lot Christy. Are you "Silverscreenings" by any chance?? THANX!!!! I saw that.

Another gentleman named JOEL responded to my article with a very good review of his own. He wrote:

"Finally was able to watch the film this evening after many years of searching and being unable to find it. One of those Holy Grail movies that you get to the point where you think they will be unattainable and suddenly they turn up out of the blue.

I found it highly enjoyable, really a three person chamber piece that lived or died on the performances of its leads and they all delivered. Gregory and Bob Preston both offered up good work but Joan Bennett walked away with the film. Always at her best playing conflicted characters, so great in The Reckless Moment and the Fritz Lang trio of noirs, she lacerates with every look she gives Preston but you can believe her when she tells Peck that she was once a nice woman ground down by one crushing disappointment after another at the hands of her b
*****d of a husband."

Yep. Ms. Bennett's fast becoming my favorite forties femmes fatale.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I still have Un Flic on my DVR, king, along with several Truffauts to catch up with. I really have way too many movies to view.

How did others feel about today's Maggie Smith films?

I only had time to see some of Othello (impressive, esp. Olivier & Finlay) and part of Travels With My Aunt. Right now I am trying to watch (and relish) the British beat noir, Nowhere to Go (1958), which was Ms. Maggie's debut film.

Curious about George Nader, whose presence in movies never seemed as sharp or sneaky as he does here. Loving the avuncular Bernard Lee too--esp. since he seems to be playing a man who doesn't walk a beat in this role. Hoping Maggie shows up soon. Here's a good piece about this little known film:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2009/06/20/now ... ium-rare//
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I missed all of Maggie Smith day so far, not on purpose, but was mighty curious about Olivier's Othello, since he was supposed to be so realistic playing an African American.

I love Bernard Lee, he's someone who snuck up on me in a few movies, giving quiet, perfect performances, and now I have a positive passion for spotting him in films. Should have watched today I guess.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Olivier's Othello, since he was supposed to be so realistic playing an African American.
Moor? :?:

The acting is impressive. I prefer Welles' version cinematically, but...after all....Welles is Welles, and then there are the others.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh... yeah. Moor. Let's make that African. :oops:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I love Bernard Lee, he's someone who snuck up on me in a few movies, giving quiet, perfect performances, and now I have a positive passion for spotting him in films. Should have watched today I guess.
Whoa, too bad you missed this one, Wen. Bernard Lee was not at all what is usually expected in this really well done movie. The great Maggie was such an accomplished infant at only 24 when she made this film, I kept half-expecting her to appear with a teddy bear behind her back. Still, when she was on screen, no one else was as compelling. I love the way her unconventional looks could make her look knowing, awkward, elegant, funny and vulnerable, sometimes simultaneously. Thanks to TCM for showcasing her.
ChiO wrote:The acting is impressive. I prefer Welles' version cinematically, but...after all....Welles is Welles, and then there are the others.
I like both the Olivier & Welles versions, though being a movie peasant, I really liked the Paul Douglas-Ruth Roman interpretation of the bard's bloody tragedy the best, in modern dress, in Joe MacBeth (1955). Besides, any movie that casts Sid James as gangster Joe's henchman named "Banky" must be seen. :wink:

Isn't it interesting that TCM programmed SUTS this year so that two of the most prominent character actors in the month's lineup are being featured on a weekend? First, Mary Boland a few weeks ago, and this Saturday, Charles Coburn. I hope that this strategy introduces many more people to the actors' broad range of films and types of roles. I'm crossing my fingers that next year will feature more of these supporting players as well as the great stars.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Coburn is tomorrow (Saturday.) They have some in his list that I haven't seen. (Looking forward to "Together Again.") It would have been nice to include "The Devil and Miss Jones" but there are only so many hours in a day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Coburn is tomorrow (Saturday.) They have some in his list that I haven't seen. (Looking forward to "Together Again.") It would have been nice to include "The Devil and Miss Jones" but there are only so many hours in a day.
Thanks, Chris. I fixed my post & think it was wise of TCM to schedule these character actors on weekends (not Sundays only).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm curious what others think of Jeanne Crain in THE FAN, I loved it and I know at least one other person here loved it too, but the criticism of it is usual just OTT. I think it all works, and totally retains the flavor of the play.

I think you'll like Together Again, it's got a similar feel to Theodora Goes Wild, but with totally different stars and a different style. I'm excited to get my own copy of this! How can you go wrong with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer? Now they have to show When Tomorrow Comes which also starred the popular couple, but is more of a romantic picture.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, thanks for the update on Bernard Lee, again, I'm so sorry I missed him. I did get to watch Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing, tho I missed the very end - I looked away for just a minute (or maybe longer since I may have fallen asleep), and it was over. Perhaps someone can PM me what happened after they reconciled and left the Spanish villa owned by the horny man with the moustache? (I really missed the whole thing, didn't I?) :D

I had also seen The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie a few weeks ago when it was on, and was really stunned at how good it was, comparable to Streetcar, I would say, as far as lead actress performances and quality of script are concerned. I had seen it several times years ago, but it was even better than I remembered, and that's saying a lot.

Very complex, very good dynamics, especially between Smith and the school's strict and perhaps dull headmistress, played by the great Celia Johnson, who just took my breath away in her scenes with Maggie. Johnson played her role of the unartistic and unbending admin with a touch of stolid surety, but you can also tell that this woman had great instincts. The young actress Pamela Franklin established herself as very capable, in a role that could have been played as a bad seed, but ultimately you just feel sad for her. All the cast did fabulous jobs, but Maggie Smith was heartbreaking.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I did get to watch Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing, tho I missed the very end - I looked away for just a minute (or maybe longer since I may have fallen asleep), and it was over. Perhaps someone can PM me what happened after they reconciled and left the Spanish villa owned by the horny man with the moustache? (I really missed the whole thing, didn't I?) :D
Wendy, you can see the movie in its entirety below yourself and/or I can send you an email describing the ending if you would prefer.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks