The Tall T

mrsl

The Tall T

Post by mrsl »

Here I am with two posts in a row on this thread, but after seeing Bringing Up Baby 99 times, I'm just not in the mood for #100.

Well, I've finally seen The Tall T, and I enjoyed it immensely, particularly because finally, here is a female lead of the right age, for Randy. Miss O'Sullivan fits into this movie like I would never expect her to. Even after being 'Jane' so many times, I never pictured her in westerns, but she does. Richard Boone was hard to figure out. You couldn't help but like him, even though it was obvious he was a slime ball, but his admiration for Scott was completely understood. Who wouldn't want to hang with a guy who had some sense, and maturity rather than two punks like he was latched to? Talk about violence however, I was shocked about the little boy. Can't say more, but imagination ran wild in this one.

I'm sure everyone knew right from the start what a jerk the husband was going to be, and I liked Randy's attitude toward Maureen during the movie. I won't say anything more because I don't know how many people have seen this one.

I'm looking forward to July when Randy is Star of the Month. TCM is playing a lot of movies I haven't seen, or only seen when I was younger. Wouldn't you know my VCR would be broken? But anyway, for some reason the Western Channel is also doing a tribute to him on June 30, so happily I should get a good snootful of RS in the next few weeks.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Anne:

I always like "The Tall T" as well. I agree with you about O'Sullivan although I wish she would have been a little stronger character.

Boone is one of the great bad guys. He doesn't suffer fools and he even has a sense of humor about him. Mainly he's all business. If you've never seen him in "Hombre" you should check it out.

Getting a new perspective on him watching "Have Gun- Will Travel."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is the one Randolph Scott western I've been wanting to see more than any other, but unfortunately I can't seem to get to it. It's not on dvd and I still don't have Encore WC. (grrrr grrrr). I hope since every other RS western seems to be getting a dvd that this one will, too and soon. :cry:
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Mrsl, Miss G., Movieman: I just saw this film for the first time this weekend. I thought Randolph Scott was so good in this film.

In one scene, he told so much of the tale with just his eyes, determining what to say by measuring everybody's stake in the outcome. How dangerous were the boys? Who was the most ruthless? Who was really running the show? How do I save my skin? How do I save us both?
I saw all those questions running through the mind of his character.

But, ooh. All that unexpected stuff with the recently widowed.
Hubbaba Bubbaba.....
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Vienna

Re: The Tall T

Post by Vienna »

Another slightly different role for Scott . He doesn't usually play happy characters, but in this he is happy go lucky until events get serious, and even at the end , he has that great line of dialogue about the weather which says so much.He hasn't lost his optimism. Good part for Richard Boone.