Ford at Fox

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

MissGoddess,

:shock: Unfortunately, I can't get this link to work for me for some reason? Plus it is inundated with Spyware! Zone Alarm goes ballistic when I try to access, as do a couple other programs? What does it say? I am curious to know? :?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I almost bought this today but refrained. But for those who may not have my willpower, Costco has it for $219. It's $10 over Amazon's price but it's instant gratification.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

And I was just getting ready to get rid of some stuff they handed me today when I realized that there's a coupon in the bunch good for $60 off. That brings the price down to $160. It's only good between Dec. 17 - 24th, so i have a few days to make up my mind, but that makes it hard to resist.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Last night I listened to the commentary for The Prisoner of Shark Island starring Warner Baxter as Dr. Mudd of the Lincoln assassination infamy. Mr. Anthony Slide was awful, with a very bothersome English accent to boot. He called Roger Mudd ( the newsman ) Richard, The Three Faces of Eve was turned into All About Eve when discussing Nunnally Johnson's credits, and on and on.Mr Slide repeatedly misprounced John Carradine name, very irritating

Then I listened to the commentart on Drums Along the Mohawk- very boring !

Much better was Mr. Bride's commentary on "Pilgrimage which including his opinion that John Ford was really a women's director.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:Much better was Mr. Bride's commentary on "Pilgrimage which including his opinion that John Ford was really a women's director.
That's a relief, I have been afraid of McBride since I saw him in a couple of interviews and he turned me off with his bi-polar grumpusness on the subject of Ford. I for one thought I was the only person on earth who believe Ford was one of the best directors for women who ever lived.

I did NOT RECEIVE MY FORD AT FOX SET YET from Barnes & Noble AND AM BEYOND UPSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Miss G., just remember that deferred gratification is better than none at all...I'll never be able to afford the Ford at Fox box set, but hope that yours comes soon.

Has anyone else seen Ford's Up the River (1930), featuring Spencer Tracy's movie debut & the only time that he appeared on camera with Humphrey Bogart? This movie is on TCM at 6pm ET, Dec. 10th, this evening. It sounds promising, though I hope that the Ford humor is not applied with his customary hamfist, which I find pretty hard to take :?

Since I don't have any recording equipment at my disposal, I think I'm going to have to stay up late to catch Pilgrimage this evening on TCM, (it is actually on Tuesday, December 11th at 1:30 AM ET). Here's an intriguing article about the background of the film, which touches on the aftermath of the First World War, a topic that fascinates me, especially as it shows up in films of the late '20s and early '30s.

While I've seen Four Men and a Prayer (1938) (on TCM on Tue., Dec. 11th at 3:15 AM ET), several times due to my irrational fondness for Richard (*sigh*) Greene and his dimples, it is a romp, and moves along at such a good clip, that I might be tempted to watch it once more, despite the slightness of the tale. Besides, how often do you see a John Ford movie with a kind word for the English?

I wonder why Scott Eyman's commentary for The Prisoner of Shark Island, which has been included on the Region 2 dvd of that movie released in the UK, wasn't used for the American version, Ken? It's probably some arcane internal contracting thing. Sounds as though the guy who did this commentary needs to collect his thoughts and check his facts from your description.

I hope that others will post their thoughts on the movies in this package and on TCM this month as they see them.
Last edited by moira finnie on December 10th, 2007, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

'Morning Moira:

My worry is that there will be "none at all" because the delivery should have taken place on Saturday, according to the website tracking information. I will visit our US Post Office this afternoon to see if it arrived or if I can nag them into a definitive answer (impossible hope, I know!).

I saw Up the River so long ago I remember nothing but the title and the two leads. I expect it will be mildly entertaining, not great.

Pilgrimage is the one I'm most looking forward to, along with Prisoner of Shark Island.

I am going to hunt down the Region 2 dvd of The Prisoner of Shark Island because I really enjoy Scott Eyman's commentaries. I may also like the "boring" commentary on Drums if it's informative and accurate.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I'm really looking forward to recording all of the Ford films being shown on TCM tonight and tomorrow. I recorded The Iron Horse last night. I don't think that I've seen ANY of the films being shown, except How Green Was My Valley (which I love).

Sandy K
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

SIGH....of....relief. It finally arrived and though I have not opened the box set itself, it appears intact despite the rather rugged looking shipping box. I'll be watching the films that are airing tonight on TCM while flipping through the book. :D :D :D :D

Enjoy the films tonight, everyone!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I just watched Up the River. I was all set to record it, when at exactly 8:00, my cable froze up and then the box RESET! AAAARGH! By the time it was finished resetting, I had missed the first few minutes of the film and it faulted the dvd-r disc. SO, I just sat and watched it.

I was AMAZED at how good looking young Bogart was. For the first time, I could see him as a well-born young man.

Tracy was Tracy, exactly the same, reliably natural as in everything he does.

Sandy K
melwalton

up the river

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Moira,
I saw 'Up the River' about three hours ago and promptly put it on my 'Worst Pictures' list. I liked Warren Hymer and that's all I can say for the movie. .... mel
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ford's RKO films, such as Plough and the the Stars, The Lost Patrol, The Fugitive, Wagonmaster, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow, and The Informer need to be released with audio commentaries. It is a shame that those films that I have mentioned that have already been released do not contain commentaries ! :wink:
vallo

Post by vallo »

I watched "Up The River" last night. It was OK. I'm not sure how the DVD is. But TCM's copy was very choppy, sound problems and it seems to be badly Edited jumping and skipping through out the film. It was good to see early Bogart and Tracy. I'm glad I watched. But it's not a keeper in the condition it was shown (IMHO)

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I liked Up the River as a breezy prison comedy (is that an oxymoron?), and thought that the repartee between Warren Hymer and Spencer Tracy was pretty funny at times. I liked the dumb jokes that they kept trying out on the warden's little girl. I don't think it was the world's worst movie, Mel, and it certainly kept my interest as Tracy seems pretty natural for a guy in his first flick. It also amused me that Ford's prison seemed alot like a big prep school, peopled largely with jocks and nice lads.

Bill/Vallo, I'd be interested to know if the dvd of Up the River has the same sound and print problems too. Hope that those who purchased it might let us know how it seems.
I was AMAZED at how good looking young Bogart was. For the first time, I could see him as a well-born young man.
Sandy,
I thought that Bogie's appearance and manner in this movie made me understand for the first time why he might have seemed an ideal choice for casting those "tennis, anyone?" parts in drawing room comedies on Broadway in the '20s. He was not the Bogart we think we know from his later years, but a well spoken, rather formal young man. This was by far the most fascinating feature of this movie for me.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I noticed the "choppiness" to Up the River, too---something which may have been TCM's fault because earlier a poster at the message boards over there noted the same thing occuring during Meet John Doe. I haven't opened my box yet to investigate the dvd.

Up the River
was about what I expected, OK but not great, except for the pleasure of seeing Tracy and young Bogie. Spence did act right at home in front of a camera, it's easy to see where he was going in his career. Bogie was still a walking question mark---who could see the craggy, world-weary Rick of Cafe Americain in that pallid young thing?

I was getting really into The Prisoner of Shark Island when I had to go to bed. I managed to find the European dvd of this movie with Scott Eyman's commentary and I ordered it. I'm looking forward to that even more than to the one in the box set.

I did think Warner Baxter really did a great job as Dr. Mudd! Especially since he was not Ford's choice for the part.