Vampyr (1932)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Vampyr (1932)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Its coming on the Underground this weekend. I knew I had seen it listed. Why it's on Underground who knows, but it's a great film:

Another foreign great from Carl Dryer shows tonight. This film eschews normal horror cliches and trades them for a dreamlike quality that is little seen on conventional film.

Instead of a male prescence with strong sexuality and elegance, Dryer defied tradition and chose instead an infirmed old woman who is helped by a doctor to locate her victims.

Dryer tried many interesting experiments with film here. Shooting only at dawn and dusk, some of the film was accidently exposed. When Dryer saw the rushes, he did the same with every reel he shot. The result is a cloudy picture that gives the film an otherworldly quality.

If you're tired of the same old horror films, give Vampyr a try. It's erie look stays with you long after the lights come up.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on June 28th, 2007, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I wasn't too fond of it the first time I saw it, but after repeated viewings it's become one of my favorite films. Dreyer was a magnificent director, coming very close to Murnau in being one of the greatest of all time.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Oops! I must have not read the schedule right! :oops: Cranes are Flying is tonights FF! Oh well.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Friendly bump to bring it to the top of the page.