Las Vegas History

Chit-chat, current events
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira, Larry and Anne,

Thanks for all the well wishes. Am here in Vegas helping my folks deal with some medical issues. Having grown up here I'm used to high temps.
But I have to tell you nothing really prepares you for 117+ degrees. Especially when you have a summer cold.

I agree with Anne, it's better than the humidity of New York or Florida in the summertime but that's little consolation.

It was so hot on the 4th of July (it was still over 100+) degrees after dark that most people stayed indoors and watched fireworks on television. Which given our drought conditions was probably the smartest thing we could all do.

I was going to go out to Boulder City for the Damoboree and hear some old Jazz musicians play but after serious thought of the heat and my car, I opted to stay home and watch The Howards of Virginia and 1776 with my dad.

Yesterday, after going with him to a doctor's appt. I got in my car and the thermometer said it was 125. Once the car got going, it decreased to 117.

They say a cooling trend is coming this weekend so the temps will go back to about 110. Hope SueSue Applegate brought lots of sunscreen!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

benwhowell

Some like it hot?

Post by benwhowell »

I lived in Memphis, TN and northeast MS the first 26 years of my life so I experienced my share of humidity. I don't miss that...drenched with sweat the majority of the time and the headaches. (High humidity and heat gives me headaches.) I do miss moisture and rain.
I've lived in Vegas 20 years and the summer heat gets more unbearable to me every year. It's like an oven. When the winds come it's like a convection oven. Sometimes it's hard to catch your breath. And there's no moisture or rain. We have to water our grass and plants twice a day...which is probably a violation of our water conservation law...and we still lose a lot of plants and grass. They literally fry!
Anyway, thank God for air conditioning! My poor old air conditioner really gets a work out. We don't really have as many brown outs as we used to and that's a little surprising with the population growing daily.
I'm glad that Vegas is so casual because I wear shorts and sandals from February to October.
Oh, yeah, the three most important things you need in Vegas on a daily basis are water, Carmex and body lotion.
Thanks to everyone for your concern and sorry for all the complaining...the heat brings out "personalities" you didn't know you possesed...
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Ben,

OK, so educate me - what's Carmex? Never heard of it...

And, I'm having a big glass of ice water for you as we speak!!

Stay cool, pal.....

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi All:

As I said, please don't think I'm disregarding the heat at all!!! When I lived there we had a few 104 and 105 days, so I know what you mean. The sad part about it is, I moved there because I loved the desert terrain, and my mobile home front 'lawn' was quickly decorated with a cactus and various wooden desert animals. I was very irritated when people started planting grassy lawns and importing Elm and Oak trees which all need water to thrive, meaning some of the treasured water supply has to be wasted on watering. In this case, 'wasted' is the word to be used. If I loved concrete cities, I would live in the heart of Chicago, but I don't. I like the open space of the suburbs and driving at 55 mph from town to town. Driving in town is a pain with a stop sign every other block. The desert is a beautiful place, and people would do well to look at it before trying to turn it into what they've left behind.

The varied colors intermixed in the hills and mountains are lovely, and the wild grasses are just as nice as a green lawn. The cacti also are much more interesting than a bus stop or a mail box or phone booth. Looking out over the desert at the snow capped mountains is so much more uplifting than seeing the height of Sears Tower. I fail to understand why people insist on ruining the beauty of the desert with modern paraphernalia. I guess I was just born 200 years too late.

Carmex is a dry lip conditioner. It comes in a little white jar with a yellow top and is usually up front by the register. It's really better than the stuff in the tube.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************