The Honeymoon Killers (1970)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Honeymoon Killers (1970)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on The Underground this weekend. Anyone else looking forward to this one?
vallo

Post by vallo »

I saw this film about a year ago on IFC. Weird but good, Tony Lo Bianco is always great and Shirley Stoler is scary but fits the role perfectly. I recommend watching this very engrossing Black & White film. Leonard Kastle wrote and directed. It was his only film to date. Also Co-stars a 40yr. old Doris Roberts. As one reviewer called it : A grim treat.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

I'm looking forward to it. I saw it years ago. Shirley Stoler is one of my favorite "bit players" and she had an interesting career..."Klute," "The Deer Hunter," "Desperately Seeking Susan," "Miami Blues" and "Malcolm X." And TV-"Charlie's Angels, "The Edge Of Night," "One Life To Live" and played Mrs. Steve on "Pee Wee's Playhouse."
I would have paired "The Honeymoon Killers" with another lead role for Shirley...Lina Wertmuller's "Seven Beauties" (1975.) Giancarlo Giannini plays a man who kills his sister's lover. He eventually ends up in a German concentration camp where he fights to survive by seducing the evil Commandant (Shirley.) Sounds pretty horrible, but the movie has much comic relief.
Lina recevied Oscar nominations for writing and directing. Giannini was nominated for best actor. The movie was nominated for foreign language film.
I love "Harold And Maude," but I would have paired it with something else...Hal Ashby's "The Landlord" or "Where's Poppa?" with Ruth Gordon or "Bewster McCloud" with Bud Cort.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I've always had great fondness for THE HONEYMOON KILLERS ever since I first saw it at a midnight screening in San Francisco's Roxie Cinema in the mid-1970s. Oddly naturalistic in some ways, deliriously expressionistic in others, its only shortcoming (for me, at least) is its uneven pacing. I'm curious to give it another shot as it's been at least ten years since I last watched it. Does anyone know whatever became of the director, Leonard Kastle? As far as I know, he never directed another feature. Didn't he have some sort of connection to Scorsese? Or did I dream that?
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Dewey, Kastle does have a Scorsese connection. I found this article-
http://www.imagesjournal.com/2003/revie ... n/text.htm
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Excellent link, Ben, thanks!