The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Post by moira finnie »

My local PBS station has run an unwatchable poor print of RKO's The Most Dangerous Game (1932) in the past, so I was delighted to come across this pristine version on TCM very early this morning--even if it does creak a bit. This early work from one of the creators of King Kong, Ernest B. Schoedsack, incorporates several of the same elements as the later, legendary movie, but I found it to be wildly entertaining in itself for several reasons. Set on a small island run by a mad Russian count, it features a stalwart young man and a pair of siblings who are in for a rough couple of days even after they survive being shipwrecked off the island. Here are some of the elements that struck me as noteworthy and, in some instances, similar to King Kong:

Image A shipwreck, done using some beautiful, intricate models on a foamy seascape.

Image An exotic island chock full of mystery, as well as beautifully created sets of flora and fauna that undoubtedly came in handy later. Cinematographer Henry W. Gerrard deserves special mention for the dramatic beauty of all the photography, which helps immeasurably in making the film still interesting.

Image A damsel in distress, Fay Wray, who's very fetching and, mercifully, doesn't shriek much, and always does so decoratively, even when faced with the "fate worse than death" at the hands of Zaroff, who explains that one "never kills the female animal," but capturing her is a distinct perk after the hunt. Yes, being a pre-code film, Ms. Wray does appear in a wisp of a gown with a dangerously low décolleté throughout the movie. Of course, my thoughts turned to long contemplated idea for a thread entitled "why do girls have to be so dumb?" as I watched Fay mince through the jungle and frustratingly, not helping ol' Joel when he's about to be a snack for a starving Great Dane. Aaargh!

Image A big bad guy, Leslie Banks, who as Count Zaroff, is not nearly as sympathetic as the big monkey, but who chews the scenery big-time to amusing effect. He also couches his idea of hunting human game around his little island fiefdom in more intellectual terms than the Kong ever could, comparing his Nietschean concepts with "outdoor chess". Watch out when the Count starts touching that scar on his forehead! Maybe I missed it due to early morning fog on my part, but in one scene, the Count mentions having vast and wealthy estates in the Crimea. Does anyone know how the Count was supposed to have escaped with his fortune intact from the Bolshevik Revolution?

The Most Dangerous Game also has a few interesting differences with Kong:

Image A drunken comic relief character played by Robert Armstrong who's more annoying than entertaining. Believe me, you won't feel much of a pang when he shuffles off camera. It's interesting that Armstrong, having shown the severe limits of his acting in this movie, should've been awarded the ringmaster role in King Kong right after this.

Image A real, noteworthy hero: Joel McCrea, who's much more likable than Bruce Cabot in King Kong. Ah, no, Joel's no great shakes in the acting department either, but he's notably easy on the eyes and his lack of technique enables him to underplay his noble hunter part to good effect.

Image Really sinister henchmen to help the count, with the very ominous presence of Noble Johnson as a hulking, mute Russian, whose "smile" might make your blood run cold on the warmest summer morning. And don't miss the leer on the Eurasian guy's face when he's told to fetch Ms. Wray for the Count's delectation. And, yes, the movie's chock full of casual racism and sexism and, natch, the ethnocentric idea of a vigorous, clean American overcoming the decadent representative of Old World, (Zaroff)--but that's a given in films of this period.

Image The film also has lifted some ideas from Richard Connell's short story that provided the basis of the film, touching on the ethics of hunting and the "fairness" of humans hunting animals. Interestingly, according to IMDb, this enduring tale has been told at least 9 times on film, including this first version.

Image Max Steiner's score, which, unusually for an early talkie, actually plays throughout the film--admittedly at times a bit melodramatically--but the hunter's horn that is heard over the opening and closing credits is particularly effective and haunting. Producer David O. Selznick, an early believer in the use of music throughout sound movies, must've been partly responsible for its inclusion here, (sometimes annoyingly).

Overall, I'd say that The Most Dangerous Game (1932) wasn't a great movie due, perhaps to the inability of the director to evoke more fully human performances from his actors, but it is certainly fascinating in itself as an exemplary creative studio entertainment, showing what can be achieved on a soundstage with imagination.

TCM is trotting out this very brief movie (only just over an hour long), again on Sept. 15th at 4:15AM EDT.

Wish they'd include it in an evening of Joel McCrea movies too, as well as a possible pairing with I the 1941 Fritz Lang version of Geoffrey Household's Man Hunt.
Last edited by moira finnie on June 28th, 2007, 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I recently saw this on a DVD. I wish I'd been able to read your info before I saw it. (I also saw it about 30 years ago but wouldn't have remembered much.)

You're right about McCrea, it was just a tad early in his career. BTW I programmed a night of McCrea as part of my SOTM for him in a previous challenge. So far TCM hasn't seemed interested.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Great review, Moira!
I caught this one myself, last year, when TCM ran it; was looking forward to throwing my own two cents around, but willickers, ol' Friend, you and I came away with about 90% the same exact impressions!
'Bout all I have to add is that instead of just pairing it up with Man Hunt, I'd sooner suggest sandwiching it in between that one & Island of Lost Souls, due to the commonality of setting & tone & camera work.
:roll:
Whatcha think, hmmmm?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Chris,
Don't give up on the Joel McCrea night on TCM just yet. I've seen some Suggest a Movie ideas of mine pop up on the network after a year or more after initially submitting them. I think they program about a year ahead down in TCM hq. Besides, our pal Joel deserves a wider audience. The guy's so unpretentious that--like July's SOTM, Randolph Scott, he seems to have slipped out of sight with his passing and the removal of his more obscure films from circulation. With time, I think that his good films, from Bird of Paradise to Stars in My Crown to Ride the High Country will find an audience once more. While I think that an outlet such as the Encore Western Channel does a great job of re-introducing Mr. McCrea to folks via his oaters, TCM can and does an even better job--showing the range of his very best work with great directors in Foreign Correspondent, Sullivan's Travels and These Three.

Hey Klonster,
Island of Lost Souls would be a corker of a movie to accompany this one, though maybe Kongo would also be a scary addition too. Though Kongo is set in darkest Africa, its demented antagonist, Walter Huston, (I prefer him to the earlier version starring Lon Chaney), really creates one of the more remarkable looney tunes on film, and one who could go head to head with Leslie Banks any day.

My suggestion that Man Hunt could go with this movie is 'cause I'm just one of those dreamers who hopes that the 20th Century Fox library, which includes Man Hunt, will eventually find an appreciative home on TCM. As it is FMC seems to throw titles in a hat and pick one whenever they deign to broadcast some of their past treasures. I guess this numbskull approach to programming is not surprising, given the level of taste that Rupert Murdoch has shown in the rest of his professional life. Hey, at least Fox puts out some good dvds.

Given my predilection for "island" movies in general, (see My Favorite Volcano God for evidence of my slighted demented interest), I'd also like to see The Most Dangerous Game paired with such films as Bird of Paradise, Blue Lagoon (1947) and even Son of Fury & Whiskey Galore! (1949) too. Not the same theme, but you get the idea...isolation, lush beauty, albeit of the back lot variety, man vs. nature, elemental instincts working their magic on human beings...:wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moira,

If you (or anyone else) is looking for a good print of The Most Dangerous Game, Criterion has it in their library:

Amazon link

I wish Island of Lost Souls was availible (or at least being shown!).
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I always enjoy this movie when I see it.

In a lot of ways, "Most Dangerous Game" strikes me as a James Bond movie before there was a James Bond.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I enjoyed a lot "The Most Dangeous Game" when I watched it some years ago and I reviewed it at Amazon. This is the review I wrote:

Very amusing horror-adventure film

“The Most Dangerous Game” (1932) aka (in Britain) “The Hounds of Zaroff” was filmed simultaneously-and using some of the same sets and actors (Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong and Noble Johnson)-with “King Kong” (1933), although the latter’s shooting took much longer, being a grade “A” Super production with a huge budget and awesome special effects (for its time).

At only 62 or 63 minutes of complete running-time, the film is obviously fastly paced & non-stop entertainment. It tells the story of the sole survivor from a shipwreck, hunting-expert Bob Rainsford (Joel McCrea), who manages to arrive to a nearby mysterious island, which is only inhabited by Russian Nobleman, Count Zaroff (expertly played by british actor Leslie Banks in his talkie-film début) and his exotic servants, among them a very scary Noble Johnson, impersonating a Cossack. The Count lives in an intimidating fortress, built centuries ago by Portuguese navigators, where he meets the Trowbridge brothers (Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong), survivors from yet another shipwreck.

Leslie Banks gives the most notorious performance of the movie and is most effective as the villain of the story; Fay Wray confirms why she was the beautiful “queen of the screaming victims” during the early 1930s (other films include “Dr. X”, “The Mystery of the Wax Museum” and the aforementioned “King Kong”); Joel McCrea is great (& youthful) as the the good-natured hero and Robert Armstrong (wearing a moustache) is quite annoying as Wray’s drunken brother.

The film was released during the Pre-Code era, so there are aspects not to be found on horror or adventure films produced during the enforcement of the Production Code, especially related to Zaroff’s somewhat indirect allusions to the effects of hunting in a man’s sexual libido. I won’t tell anymore about the story or these aspects in order not to spoil the surprises.

The film has a very good score by Max Steiner, which wasn’t usual (film scores) in those days.

The Criterion Edition’s transfer is excellent, beautiful, sharp and crisp, and the featured commentary is highly informative.