SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:43 pm
Incoming. I was ready, for the most part. We also don't have that New Age aura/marketing ploy thing
going,
just moonshine. The only good part is that it is one of those one day deals where it is expected
to warm up quite a bit over the next several days, thank goodness. The fireplace will be getting a
workout tonight. Feed me, feed me. :)
LOL

Sounds as if you're well aware of the image Sedona now likes to project to the world here, eh?! ;)

And yep as you said, primarily for "marketing" purposes.

(...so, who ya likin' in the second game tonight?)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:31 pm
Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:20 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 20th, 2024, 6:36 pm
The Raven offensive coach is a moron. In the first half his playing calling sucked! Even the announcers said that he made adjustments and that lead to them scoring on their first procession in the second half. But these announcers are way too wimpy\kind. I like ones that are willing to call out bozos.
It also looked like the Texans D was tightening up and putting more pressure on Jackson at the end
of the first half, but it sure didn't carry over. They are getting run over now. Maybe some of the
announcers play it safe in their own self interest. Turn out the lights....
Yep, I had a feeling that at the end of the first half the Texans' play could at best be viewed as a "moral victory" with that tie score, but that they'd probably be blown out during the second half by the Ravens.
Maybe there is something to the theory that having too long of a layoff causes a team to be sluggish. The Ravens in that second-half were the Ravens I expected to see. (even Jackson said as much in the post-game sideline interview). Good thing for the 49ers that they are the late game. Kyle Shanahan will likely point this out to his team, so the 49ers come out strong from the start.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Dargo wrote: January 20th, 2024, 7:50 pm

Sounds as if you're well aware of the image Sedona now likes to project to the world here, eh?! ;)

I think most people do. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep communing with the dead--those dead presidents.

I was rooting for the 49ers, but they made it too close for comfort, but a good game, better than those
blow out ones.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Andree wrote: January 20th, 2024, 11:31 pm

I think most people do. Nothing wrong with that. Just keep communing with the dead--those dead presidents.

I was rooting for the 49ers, but they made it too close for comfort, but a good game, better than those
blow out ones.
Yea, the 49s cut it too close for comfort but did make the plays when they needed to in the 4th quarter. But Purdy showed his inexperience.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:23 pm

blow out ones.
Yea, the 49s cut it too close for comfort but did make the plays when they needed to in the 4th quarter. But Purdy showed his inexperience.
Yeah, maybe, however it could be said the Niners were lucky that Love showed that he was even more "inexperienced" than Purdy was at the end, and considering Love's ill-advised last pass attempt and when he should have just thrown it out-of-bounds to stop the clock.

(...and especially so on only 1st-down with still enough time left on the clock in order to get his team into FG range to tie the score)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm sure you can make comments about Purdy. He still gets a few million "bungeros" annually.
To quote the late great Carter B. Smith from what used to be KABL AM, after they were swallowed up by Clear Channel, "As long as the checks still cash."
I wanted the Packers to win, regardless of where I happen to live.
Not being a sports fan, I'm tired of the "Red and Gold Report" on TV.
The people who make sports available on TV could care less about the fans, just the income.
I will also say sports should not happen on Apple TV+ or Peacock. These are services with limited subscribers.
That is probably for a reason. Why pay for something you don't want, just for a sporting event?
ESPN on ABC infuriates me."What happens on ESPN needs to stay on ESPN and not take out local news broadcasts."
Okay, Go 9ers, all the way!
Where I live, it's Go 9ers, Sharks, A's, Giants, Raiders, Warriors.
Meanwhile, in Oregon, to the best of my knowledge, it's just the Portland Trailblazers.
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: January 21st, 2024, 2:35 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 21st, 2024, 1:23 pm

blow out ones.
Yeah, maybe, however it could be said the Niners were lucky that Love showed that he was even more "inexperienced" than Purdy was at the end, and considering Love's ill-advised last pass attempt and when he should have just thrown it out-of-bounds to stop the clock.

(...and especially so on only 1st-down with still enough time left on the clock in order to get his team into FG range to tie the score)
Good points here. As for the 49ers: If Deebo Samuel is hobbled for the game with the Lions, that will put even more pressure on Purdy. Thus, the Lions do all they can to contain McCaffrey, putting major pressure on Purdy and the passing game to score points. We saw that when teams focused on containing the Lions' running game, Goff and the passing game didn't fold. Hey, Purdy has proven naysayers wrong in the past, so he has the ability to do so again. This looks like it will be a very even match-up (and I wouldn't have felt the Lions had much of a chance against the 49ers, 4 or so weeks ago).
laffite

Post by laffite »

jimimac71 wrote: January 21st, 2024, 5:54 pm I'm sure you can make comments about Purdy. He still gets a few million "bungeros" annually.
To quote the late great Carter B. Smith from what used to be KABL AM, after they were swallowed up by Clear Channel, "As long as the checks still cash."
I wanted the Packers to win, regardless of where I happen to live.
Not being a sports fan, I'm tired of the "Red and Gold Report" on TV.
The people who make sports available on TV could care less about the fans, just the income.
I will also say sports should not happen on Apple TV+ or Peacock. These are services with limited subscribers.
That is probably for a reason. Why pay for something you don't want, just for a sporting event?
ESPN on ABC infuriates me."What happens on ESPN needs to stay on ESPN and not take out local news broadcasts."
Okay, Go 9ers, all the way!
Where I live, it's Go 9ers, Sharks, A's, Giants, Raiders, Warriors.
Meanwhile, in Oregon, to the best of my knowledge, it's just the Portland Trailblazers.
The Sharks are struggling like mad. Started out 0-10-1, then played about .500 for about 16-18 games which included some mind boggling comebacks. They are the only team I've seen that scored two short-handed goals on the same power play. Then BAM, another long losing streak. There was not much expectation and they are obviously in rebuilding mode. They'll get there ... but when? Professional sports franchises can have long droughts. Sometime a complete generation. Go Sharks!!
Mona
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I was given a Condors ball cap years ago.
They are a hockey team in Bakersfield.
After you stop laughing, here's proof:
https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com
laffite

Post by laffite »

They are probably better than the Sharks.
Mona
Andree

Post by Andree »

Another close game and like the 49ers-Green Bay game Mayfield was intercepted during the last two
minute. Ouch. I thought the game was only going to be on Peacock until I thought why not switch over
to NBC just in case and there it was. I like both the 49ers and the Lions, but I'll likely pull for the
Lions because it's been such a long time.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Scott Norwood Redux!
laffite

Post by laffite »

I muse on the Bills of the early 90s, three consecutive Super Bowl appearances and three consecutive Super Bowl losses. Now they can't get that far. Josh, you ought find another team. Maybe the jinx is on. Josh Allen and Justin Herbert, great QBs may never see a SB.
Mona
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

laffite wrote: January 21st, 2024, 10:25 pm I muse on the Bills of the early 90s, three consecutive Super Bowl appearances and three consecutive Super Bowl losses.
Four
laffite

Post by laffite »

Josh Allen completed 26 passes but good for only 186 yards for an average seven yards for each completed pass. That is far below standard for the NFL. He did throw a couple or so passes downfield but they all failed. The announcers interestingly remarked that both QBs were playing a bit conservative, knowing that a turnover could cost, considering that for most of the game both teams were scoring every possession. Buffalo should have been more aggressive in that final drive, methinks. I guess that's a second guess, but maybe the offensive coordinator might have known. Unless, unfortunately, they were too intent on running the clock down to score with little time left. A horrible loss for the Bills. :headbang:
Mona