SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
jamesjazzguitar

Re: SPORTS

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

laffite wrote: December 15th, 2023, 3:47 pm The final score, 63-21, is a scorigami. There was another, 11-8, this year. And probably Miami over Denver, 70-20, is another.

I have a queasy feeling that the C are going to keep BS.
You can stop being queasy. Both the coach and GM were fired.
laffite

Post by laffite »

My picks for the Wild Card games...

Cleveland over Houston (24-21)
KC over Miami (24-20)
Buffalo over Pitt (31-21)
LAR over Detroit (31-28)
Dallas over GB (45-21)
Phil over TB (31-14)

straight up, no spread

My picks above are all favor the top seeds with the exception of Rams-Lions.

The favorite for the Super Bowl probably is one of the two first round byes, Not only do they have the best records but they get to play one less game. New Rule : No more first round bye, let them play like the rest. Good idea, Yes?

Okay, ladies and gentlemen,
Last edited by laffite on January 13th, 2024, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Desire" (1936)
laffite

Post by laffite »

deleted by laffite
Last edited by laffite on January 13th, 2024, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Desire" (1936)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:31 pm The KC-Miami will be repeated on a normal NBC Network at 3pm on Sunday.

I will watch the morning game on Saturday and then simply wait until Sunday and view KC-Miami.

Then go back and watched the Sunday games as they will all be recorded.

I see what has happened. The game was contracted by NBC and would have ordinarily aired on the regular NBC Network, but NBC is being really shitty airing the exclusively on their Peacock Streaming Service and presumably with the consent of the NFL. They make the game unavailable for millions to promote Peacock. If you think you can get around this by simply going for the seven-day trial period, forget it ; they are not offering it. You must subscribe to Peacock and you can cancel in one month. It's $5.99 per month, which is not bad. Unless they some unforseen glitch, the bastards.
Yeah, I know what ya mean here, laffite.

Yep, and with "NBC's Bottom Line" notably missing from the above graphic here.

(...btw, I think that Rams-Lions game will be the best of the weekend...certainly the most interesting anyway, and considering the QB swap of a few years back)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 3:06 pm
laffite wrote: January 12th, 2024, 2:31 pm The KC-Miami will be repeated on a normal NBC Network at 3pm on Sunday.

I will watch the morning game on Saturday and then simply wait until Sunday and view KC-Miami.

Then go back and watched the Sunday games as they will all be recorded.

I see what has happened. The game was contracted by NBC and would have ordinarily aired on the regular NBC Network, but NBC is being really shitty airing the exclusively on their Peacock Streaming Service and presumably with the consent of the NFL. They make the game unavailable for millions to promote Peacock. If you think you can get around this by simply going for the seven-day trial period, forget it ; they are not offering it. You must subscribe to Peacock and you can cancel in one month. It's $5.99 per month, which is not bad. Unless they some unforseen glitch, the bastards.
Yeah, I know what ya mean here, laffite.

Yep, and with "NBC's Bottom Line" notably missing from the above graphic here.

(...btw, I think that Rams-Lions game will be the best of the weekend...certainly the most interesting anyway, and considering the QB swap of a few years back)
They also attempt to suck up new subscribers at the expense of millions of deprived patrons via a dubious business practice. Loyal fans have buttressed the entire football industry with their fandom. Yes, it is true that they just want watch football and care a fig with what network, yet let's not penalize them in this way. The NFL is probably more responsible than Peacock. A-holes. They have (literally) sold us out.

Nice chart, Dargo. You are Johnny on the spot with things like this.

Let's hope that a dolphin is mightier that an Chief. Hmmm, that's a touch sell. :smiley_chinrub:
"Desire" (1936)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Remember who owns Peacock: Comcast!
There is a rewards program from Comcast and you can get Peacock with commercials for free.
https://www.xfinity.com/rewards
I'm a TV/Internet customer but you probably only have to be an Internet customer.
I recently read the Super Bowl will be in 4K on CBS for the first time this year. Of course CBS is not in 4K on TV channels for the most part. Guess that means CBS Sports or Paramount+.
I kinda think 4K of any kind is still pretty rare.
Reminds me of the 1984 Olympics being broadcast in TV stereo and next to no one had it.
I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:02 pm ...I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Yeah, but AM stereo still could never bring to the radio listening audience how freakin' cool and damp the old Candlestick Park was during a twilight doubleheader, huh jimimac! ;)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Since the Patriots and the Panthers were horrible this season, I'm concentrating all my dislike on the
Cowboys. The sooner they are beaten the better. I don't give much hope for the Steelers, but we'll see.
During the regular season the NFL network reran some of the non-network games at midnight Sunday/Monday.
Not sure if they'll do the same during the playoffs.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Andree wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:36 pm Since the Patriots and the Panthers were horrible this season, I'm concentrating all my dislike on the
Cowboys. The sooner they are beaten the better. I don't give much hope for the Steelers, but we'll see.
During the regular season the NFL network reran some of the non-network games at midnight Sunday/Monday.
Not sure if they'll do the same during the playoffs.
Yea I'll be pulling for Green Bay to upset the Cowboys. This is a major test for Coach McCarthy and Dak Prescott. Can they win a must-win game?

Cowboys have no running game and too much depends on CD Lamb. Double cover Lamb and make the others beat you. I don't think those others are up to the task!

If McCarthy and Prescott, are one-and-done, at least one of them will not be a Cowboy next season.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:18 pm
jimimac71 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:02 pm ...I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
Yeah, but AM stereo still could never bring to the radio listening audience how freakin' cool and damp the old Candlestick Park was during a twilight doubleheader, huh jimimac! ;)
"That's Why The Lady Is A Tramp."
Technically: Cold and Damp.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 12th, 2024, 5:27 pm

Yea I'll be pulling for Green Bay to upset the Cowboys. This is a major test for Coach McCarthy and Dak Prescott. Can they win a must-win game?

Cowboys have no running game and too much depends on CD Lamb. Double cover Lamb and make the others beat you. I don't think those others are up to the task!

If McCarthy and Prescott, are one-and-done, at least one of them will not be a Cowboy next season.
Aren't the Cowboys undefeated at home this season? That doesn't mean they won't lose this game,
but it certainly tilts in their favor to some degree. If the Eagles hadn't screwed up at the end of
the season, it might be a different story. Certainly Green Bay has a chance. We'll know soon
enough.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 12th, 2024, 7:59 pm

Aren't the Cowboys undefeated at home this season? That doesn't mean they won't lose this game,
but it certainly tilts in their favor to some degree. If the Eagles hadn't screwed up at the end of
the season, it might be a different story. Certainly Green Bay has a chance. We'll know soon
enough.
Considering that Prescott has had 8 seasons to prove that he can be a Super Bowl winning QB or even a Conference winning QB and has failed this challenge at every opportunity, and because whenever he's under pressure his decision-making process seems to break down, I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay pulls off the upset this Sunday.

(...and also considering that GB's young QB Jordan Love is playing very good ball of late)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:18 pm
Anyone under the age of 40 will probably wonder what a doubleheader is.
"Desire" (1936)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:23 pm

enough.
Considering that Prescott has had 8 seasons to prove that he can be a Super Bowl winning QB or even a Conference winning QB and has failed this challenge at every opportunity, and because whenever he's under pressure his decision-making process seems to break down, I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay pulls off the upset this Sunday.

(...and also considering that GB's young QB Jordan Love is playing very good ball of late)
Hey guys! Isn't it fun watching "America's Team" getting blown out today?!!! :yahoo:

So James, it looks like we both called it correctly here, huh! ;)

(...btw, did you guys catch Jimmy Johnson goin' absolutely berserk during the halftime show?...loved THAT too!)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:02 pm
Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:23 pm

enough.

Hey guys! Isn't it fun watching "America's Team" getting blown out today?!!! :yahoo:

So James, it looks like we both called it correctly here, huh! ;)

(...btw, did you guys catch Jimmy Johnson goin' absolutely berserk during the halftime show?...loved THAT too!)
Sweet win for Green Bay. It was great seeing the Cowboy lose, yet again, anytime there is a must-win game.