Noir Alley

Bronxgirl48

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

We might be the only two.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

For those who might have missed it, the Neo-Noir series on TCM was a special theme on Fridays in July, 2021. Each week Ben and Eddie would introduce and discuss three films classified as Neo-Noir. It seemed to be a joint project they had worked out together, and TCM promoted it as an offshoot of Noir Alley. I don't think there was ever the intention of extending it past that month.

Here are the films that were included in the series:

7-2-2021
Harper (1966)
Point Blank (1967)
Warning Shot (1967)

7-9-2021
Get Carter (1971)
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
Chinatown (1974)

7-16-2021
Pulp (1972)
Body Heat (1981)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

7-23-2021
Blood Simple (1984)
Night Moves (1975)
Cutter's Way (1981)

7-30-2021
Blade Runner (1982)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)

Many if not all of these wrap-arounds are available on YouTube. I would say that the format was probably a little easier for Eddie to prepare for, since he was discussing the films with Ben, as opposed to Noir Alley where he has to cover the entire presentation himself. But the fact that it involved both hosts makes it difficult to repeat. Also, Eddie has so far not shown an interest in including Neo Noir films in the Noir Alley series, but I would never say never.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 5:21 pm
Hibi wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:27 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:35 pm

To quote Eddie Muller, Rod Steiger in this is at "his most Steiger-est".

And that is only one of its pleasures!
LOL! I remember it being very talky....
And by talky, if you mean "shoulda been cut by 45 minutes," I totally agree! The dialogue is very fancy-schmancy, "peritonitis of the soul" and such. I don't consider it noir, just a waste of a good cast. It might even be eligible for a "Stinky the Skunk" award when we get around to that year in another thread.
LOL! All I remember is there was a lot of talk and it was very static. (a lot of it taking place in his living room/house. It was many years ago.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: April 24th, 2024, 3:02 am For those who might have missed it, the Neo-Noir series on TCM was a special theme on Fridays in July, 2021. Each week Ben and Eddie would introduce and discuss three films classified as Neo-Noir. It seemed to be a joint project they had worked out together, and TCM promoted it as an offshoot of Noir Alley. I don't think there was ever the intention of extending it past that month.

7-2-2021
Harper (1966)
Point Blank (1967)
Warning Shot (1967)

7-9-2021
Get Carter (1971)
Chinatown (1974)

7-16-2021
Pulp (1972)
Body Heat (1981)

7-23-2021
Blood Simple (1984)
Night Moves (1975)
Cutter's Way (1981)

7-30-2021
Blade Runner (1982)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)

Many if not all of these wrap-arounds are available on YouTube. I would say that the format was probably a little easier for Eddie to prepare for, since he was discussing the films with Ben, as opposed to Noir Alley where he has to cover the entire presentation himself. But the fact that it involved both hosts makes it difficult to repeat. Also, Eddie has so far not shown an interest in including Neo Noir films in the Noir Alley series, but I would never say never.
YES! I remember watching many of those. Wish they'd do another round.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 8:26 pm
Hibi wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 4:34 pm

Right. And why be jealous if Cook was gay? Unless he was to dumb to notice!
I doubt he thought much about Cook one way or the other. He was just
a guy that Tierney could use for his own purposes. As bad as Trevor is,
she kind of blends into the background compared to Tierney.
I consider Trevor worse than Tierney. He's just a lowlife. She grew up privileged and there's no excuse for her behavior. I thoroughly enjoyed her demise! :D
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

cmovieviewer wrote: April 24th, 2024, 3:02 am For those who might have missed it, the Neo-Noir series on TCM was a special theme on Fridays in July, 2021. Each week Ben and Eddie would introduce and discuss three films classified as Neo-Noir. It seemed to be a joint project they had worked out together, and TCM promoted it as an offshoot of Noir Alley. I don't think there was ever the intention of extending it past that month.

7-2-2021
Harper (1966)
Point Blank (1967)
Warning Shot (1967)

7-9-2021
Get Carter (1971)
Chinatown (1974)

7-16-2021
Pulp (1972)
Body Heat (1981)

7-23-2021
Blood Simple (1984)
Night Moves (1975)
Cutter's Way (1981)

7-30-2021
Blade Runner (1982)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)

I also watched or re-watched a number of these films. An excellent series.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2024, 9:19 am

7-2-2021
Harper (1966)
Point Blank (1967)
Warning Shot (1967)

7-9-2021
Get Carter (1971)
Chinatown (1974)

7-16-2021
Pulp (1972)
Body Heat (1981)

7-23-2021
Blood Simple (1984)
Night Moves (1975)
Cutter's Way (1981)

7-30-2021
Blade Runner (1982)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)

YES! I remember watching many of those. Wish they'd do another round.
At the TCMFF Chinatown screening, Eddie mentioned that he and Carl Franklin (who was the guest at the screening) had just taped intro/outro segments at the Roosevelt Hotel for a couple of Franklin's neo-noir films that will be shown in September. I don't remember if he stated that this would be part of the regular Noir Alley lineup or something separate.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

That's good to know.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2024, 9:22 am

I consider Trevor worse than Tierney. He's just a lowlife. She grew up privileged and there's no excuse for her behavior. I thoroughly enjoyed her demise! :D
The Production Code said you must die. While she was bad she never killed anyone,
she just covered up for Tierney. I think at the bottom of her troubles was being a
poor relation to her foster sister or whatever their relation was, something that
shows up in Perry Mason once in a while. I certainly wouldn't mourn for her.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It's never made clear just what type of sister she is. She mentions being a foster sister or something like that. Not related. It's obvious she's a lot older. True, she never kills anyone, but I'm sure she'd use TIerney to kill if it suited her purposes and covers for him.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Yeah, you wouldn't want to get any blood on one of those fancy hats.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2024, 4:16 pm It's never made clear just what type of sister she is. She mentions being a foster sister or something like that. Not related. It's obvious she's a lot older. True, she never kills anyone, but I'm sure she'd use TIerney to kill if it suited her purposes and covers for him.
I have no doubt she would have no hesitation in using Tierney to kill someone
if the situation came up. Time to go. A certain person is On the Case. :D
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Surprised there have not been any comments about The Big Knife on Apr.27/28.
I had seen it before, but recorded it and watched the first hour and then went out and did some yard work. Came back and fast forwarded through a lot of it.
Too much talking and "angst" by everybody. Too long also.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

And starring MISS SHELLEY WINTERS as Dixie Evans! Who came up with THAT billing? I was so unimpressed with the film, I forgot to check this thread! PU!!! It was static and as hammy as I (vaguely) remembered it! Hard to say who was the hammiest, Steiger or Palance. (At least Steiger wasn't in the whole movie!) Except for one scene it all took place in his house (or back yard!) At least I'll never have to watch this again. Nice to know I had some taste even as a teen! Talk, talk, talk!

And WHY are they showing Dark Passage AGAIN???
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

[
And WHY are they showing Dark Passage AGAIN???
[/quote] I suspect Eddie is looking for the version with Paul Henreid under the bandages...By the way Bogart had a fun time with Steiger on The Harder they Fall,asking his buddies to look at Steiger
'internalize' !!! Bogart hated method actors