Noir Alley

ElCid

Re: Noir Alley

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 13th, 2024, 12:23 pm
Cinemaspeak59 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 11:17 am The Guilty (1947) A low budget wonderful noir from Monogram Studios, with a well-earned surprise ending. Bonita Granville plays twins, one of whom is a femme fatale. Granville’s petulant persona from her past films morphs into an effective seductress, easily manipulating WWII vets Don Castle and Wally Cassell, and pitting them against each other. Because there are twins, there’s mistaken identity, and murder. I saw this on YouTube, along with Eddie’s commentary in the intro and outro.
I liked The Guilty because I'm a big Bonita Granville fan. Known for the Nancy Drew serial, Granville also made an impact in many films as a teen actress. Her adult career was rather limited but she was effective in films like The Glass Key with Alan Ladd, Now Voyager with Bette Davis, and the noir film Suspense with Barry Sullivan.
My wife and I are also big fans of the Granville Nancy Drew movies. In fact, we are on our third set due to worn out discs in first two. Wish she had made more. She was good in other roles and I wonder if her height and appearance kept her from getting more "adult" roles?
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Did anyone else catch the Eddie Muller/Robert Osborne intro to The Breaking Point? Couldn't stop watching the whole film again.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

kingrat wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:25 pm Did anyone else catch the Eddie Muller/Robert Osborne intro to The Breaking Point? Couldn't stop watching the whole film again.
Yes, I loved the discussion that Robert and Eddie had before and after the film, both making interesting points. The film is amazing and a worthy choice for TCM's 30th anniversary.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 14th, 2024, 6:25 pm Did anyone else catch the Eddie Muller/Robert Osborne intro to The Breaking Point? Couldn't stop watching the whole film again.
YES. I wasn't going to watch the film but decided to watch it anyway. (I've seen it thanks to TCM 3 or 4 times). It's such a downer, but so well done. That ending on the dock with the boy always kills me. So sad. One wonders what happens to the Garfield character. Does he avoid jail? Wouldn't have an easy life ahead even if he doesn't....

Does anyone know where it was filmed? (Am assuming somewhere in CA.)
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

Filmed at Newport Beach CA and at a race track in CA as well
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:09 am
YES. I wasn't going to watch the film but decided to watch it anyway. (I've seen it thanks to TCM 3 or 4 times). It's such a downer, but so well done. That ending on the dock with the boy always kills me. So sad. One wonders what happens to the Garfield character. Does he avoid jail? Wouldn't have an easy life ahead even if he doesn't....

As for "does he avoid jail?": There are no witness left so all he has to say is that he was chartered to take these guys on a sea voyage and didn't know they were crooks until they killed his first mate. Who was still alive that could contradict that? Thus, in my world, he ends up collecting a reward for returning the loot that was stolen. (still, as you said life ahead won't be easy).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 15th, 2024, 1:39 pm
Hibi wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:09 am

As for "does he avoid jail?": There are no witness left so all he has to say is that he was chartered to take these guys on a sea voyage and didn't know they were crooks until they killed his first mate. Who was still alive that could contradict that? Thus, in my world, he ends up collecting a reward for returning the loot that was stolen. (still, as you said life ahead won't be easy).
Probably. Dead men tell no tales. The authorities were suspicious of him over the last incident though. I guess he could kiss the boat goodbye. Not sure he'd be a good fit for lettuce farming either.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I thought it was rather funny that Hawks took the "worst" Hemingway novel to
make into a film and then made a number of changes and then when it was
remade in 1950 they stayed close to the "worst" Hemingway novel. I've seen
it a number of times before. It's very well done with a solid script and direction.
Part adventure flick, part domestic drama, and bit of Papa's macho bs. They
work well together. Garfield is so honest he never checks the smuggler's pockets
for money before he throws the body overboard. Okay. I figured at the end that
he learned his lesson and returned to his long-suffering wife and kiddies a changed
man still owning his boat so he won't have to go to Salinas. As well done as it is,
there's not much of added interest on the third or fourth go around.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:27 pm I thought it was rather funny that Hawks took the "worst" Hemingway novel to
it a number of times before. It's very well done with a solid script and direction.
work well together. Garfield is so honest he never checks the smuggler's pockets
he learned his lesson and returned to his long-suffering wife and kiddies a changed
man still owning his boat so he won't have to go to Salinas. As well done as it is,
I guess you don't have much interest in seeing the 3rd version!

The third film version, titled The Gun Runners (1958), was directed by Don Siegel and stars Audie Murphy in the Bogart/Garfield role and Everett Sloane in Walter Brennan's part as the alcoholic sidekick, although Sloane's interpretation was less overtly comedic than Brennan's. The movie features a bravura performance by Eddie Albert as a charismatic villain.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I've never heard of The Gun Runners. Did Eddie say what's on Noir Alley this week? I can't remember now.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Thanks to James for the reference, I was not aware of The Gun Runners either. Has been on TCM a few times before, last in 2015, not on Noir Alley (yet). This week on Noir Alley is the third-time! showing of the Lawrence Tierney - Claire Trevor film Born to Kill (1947). No doubt you've seen it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: April 16th, 2024, 11:57 am Thanks to James for the reference, I was not aware of The Gun Runners either. Has been on TCM a few times before, last in 2015, not on Noir Alley (yet). This week on Noir Alley is the third-time! showing of the Lawrence Tierney - Claire Trevor film Born to Kill (1947). No doubt you've seen it.
Oh, good! I've seen that one multiple times but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I'd be curious to see The Gun Runners, just to compare it.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:05 am

I guess you don't have much interest in seeing the 3rd version!

The third film version, titled The Gun Runners (1958), was directed by Don Siegel and stars Audie Murphy in the Bogart/Garfield role and Everett Sloane in Walter Brennan's part as the alcoholic sidekick, although Sloane's interpretation was less overtly comedic than Brennan's. The movie features a bravura performance by Eddie Albert as a charismatic villain.
Some of the reference books mention The Gun Runners remake. I wouldn't mind
seeing it out of curiosity. The first two versions would be difficult to better. I forgot
to mention that the shootout on the boat is as exciting as the one in Key Largo.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Andree wrote: April 15th, 2024, 8:27 pm I thought it was rather funny that Hawks took the "worst" Hemingway novel to
Yes, THE BREAKING POINT is well done, but I don't have any need to see it multiple times.

Whereas Howard Hawks's earlier, less faithful adaptation of the Hemingway novel --- TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT ---- is a movie that I can watch again and again.
Andree

Post by Andree »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 16th, 2024, 7:14 pm

Yes, THE BREAKING POINT is well done, but I don't have any need to see it multiple times.

Whereas Howard Hawks's earlier, less faithful adaptation of the Hemingway novel --- TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT ---- is a movie that I can watch again and again.
Bogie and Bacall were more interesting than Garfield and Thaxter. Though they come
from the same source, they're two different movies. Sometimes I'm in a mood to see
films I've seen many times before, sometimes not, for no particular reason.