I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Fedya

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Fedya »

Andree wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 8:18 pm
Fedya wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 6:08 pm
Did they stuff twenties down the car's waistband too?
Same word, somewhat different definition.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2024, 4:46 pm

10 gallons to the mile!!! Yeah, I noticed Highway Patrol and Hazel......
Of course Perry could afford it. Never much of a Hazel fan. I still
like LITB. Another show that's been in that time slot for a pretty long
time. They just finished the last season and are starting over again
with the first one.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

Fedya wrote: April 24th, 2024, 5:53 pm
I haven't thought about NYNEX in years. Funny how many of the
Baby Bells gradually merged with one another after the breakup
of AT&T.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ElCid wrote: April 21st, 2024, 5:08 pm Speaking of original Perry Mason TV series, I am always highly interested in the automobiles. Perry would go from a Ford to a Cadillac to a Lincoln, etc. Paul usually drove the best cars - mostly Thunderbirds. Perry paid him well.
In the early episodes, Perry drives what looks like a standard Ford, but is actually the Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner. It was a convertible that actually had a real hardtop. Real expensive for a Ford and extremely complicated. Seldom see it on PM with the top down, but if you look close you can see an line across the top about a foot or so from the windshield. This is where part of the hard top folded up so whole thing could be stored in the trunk.

the thing about BROADCAST EPS is that I would have to wait it out for the episodes in question to show up in the rotation, and there's like nine seasons. and imagine how bummed i would be if i spent three months waiting to see THE CASE OF THE PEOPLE VS PAUL DRAKE and for some reason it;s missing from broadcast eps too?

remember having to wait for stuff to air on TV back in the day and if you didn't tape it, tough s***? in a way, I sorta miss those days.

A LADY in the THE CASE OF THE SPURIOUS SISTER was driving A 59 EDSEL hardtop the other night!!!!!!!

I laughed and thought of that line in PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 8:34 pm MARY & GEORGE Anybody else looking at this?

yES.

Yes.

I checked it out....

sigh

I wish modern interpretations of both GAY STORIES and HISTORICAL DRAMAS didn't have to be filled with SADISTIC DUPLICITY AND BACKSTABBING AND OBSESSION AND MEANINGLESS ENNUI ABOUT TRANSACTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS AND EMOTIONALLY DETATCHED THREESOMES...

i will admit, it's titillating, but real gay life is already filled with all the pain and intrigues of THE KREMLIN, sometimes I just wanna see a nice love story where two people who where born in the same decade meet and work things out (or not) and no one has to DIE VIOLENTLY or be BETRAYED ON A GRANDIOSE BAROQUE AND TWISTEDLY PERVERSE LEVEL.

I watched a lot of the sex scenes though.

Hoo boy.

Also JULIANNE MOORE needs to stop messing with her face. i know it's wrong to say that but i said it, come for me. she looks BOTOXED TO THE GILLS and any woman looking LIKE THAT in 1612 at her age (or any age) would be BURNED AT THE STAKE.

And maybe rightly so....
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 7:55 am
ElCid wrote: April 21st, 2024, 5:08 pm Speaking of original Perry Mason TV series, I am always highly interested in the automobiles. Perry would go from a Ford to a Cadillac to a Lincoln, etc. Paul usually drove the best cars - mostly Thunderbirds. Perry paid him well.
In the early episodes, Perry drives what looks like a standard Ford, but is actually the Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner. It was a convertible that actually had a real hardtop. Real expensive for a Ford and extremely complicated. Seldom see it on PM with the top down, but if you look close you can see an line across the top about a foot or so from the windshield. This is where part of the hard top folded up so whole thing could be stored in the trunk.

remember having to wait for stuff to air on TV back in the day and if you didn't tape it, tough s***? in a way, I sorta miss those days.
Many of us are old enough to remember that if you missed an episode when it first aired, you had to wait for a rerun (usually in the summer). And if you missed that, you were SOL until (and if) it went into syndication.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I'm still just curious as to WHY those episodes are missing from the PERRY MASON line ups on MULTIPLE FORMATS...
AND WHY SO MANY HAPPEN TO be top rated.

because genuinely the ONLY THREE reasons I can think of for removing the episodes would be if there was something deeply offensive and/or racist that could not be edited without sacrificing continuity [which i HIGHLY DOUBT because PERRY MASON was a highly progressive show in their casting and their storylines, they had a lot of multiracial actors over the years); there was a COPYRIGHT ISSUE of some kind somewhere- maybe involving music or material for the episode- or the episodes were damaged or somehow lost.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I JUST HAVE to give a shout-out to TREE FOR TWO, an animated LOONEY TOONS short that I grew up with via watching DAFFY DUCK'S FANTASTIC ISLAND.

I've been watching a lot of animated shorts lately and really, this one is about as brilliant a five minutes of animation as there has ever been.

still laughing at it after all these years.

"THIS IS FOR BEATIN' UP MY PAL SPIKE!!!!"

Last edited by Lorna on April 25th, 2024, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:02 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 8:34 pm MARY & GEORGE Anybody else looking at this?

yES.

Yes.

I checked it out....

sigh

I wish modern interpretations of both GAY STORIES and HISTORICAL DRAMAS didn't have to be filled with SADISTIC DUPLICITY AND BACKSTABBING AND OBSESSION AND MEANINGLESS ENNUI ABOUT TRANSACTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS AND EMOTIONALLY DETATCHED THREESOMES...

i will admit, it's titillating, but real gay life is already filled with all the pain and intrigues of THE KREMLIN, sometimes I just wanna see a nice love story where two people who where born in the same decade meet and work things out (or not) and no one has to DIE VIOLENTLY or be BETRAYED ON A GRANDIOSE BAROQUE AND TWISTEDLY PERVERSE LEVEL.

I watched a lot of the sex scenes though.

Hoo boy.

Also JULIANNE MOORE needs to stop messing with her face. i know it's wrong to say that but i said it, come for me. she looks BOTOXED TO THE GILLS and any woman looking LIKE THAT in 1612 at her age (or any age) would be BURNED AT THE STAKE.

And maybe rightly so....
It is rather funny though that the namesake of the King James Version of the Bible had several, to use the term of the time, favourites.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 24th, 2024, 8:22 pm
Hibi wrote: April 24th, 2024, 4:46 pm

10 gallons to the mile!!! Yeah, I noticed Highway Patrol and Hazel......
Of course Perry could afford it. Never much of a Hazel fan. I still
like LITB. Another show that's been in that time slot for a pretty long
time. They just finished the last season and are starting over again
with the first one.
Yes. Never liked Hazel, even as a kid! Perry needed that extra power to move him along.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: April 25th, 2024, 8:19 am
Lorna wrote: April 25th, 2024, 7:55 am

Many of us are old enough to remember that if you missed an episode when it first aired, you had to wait for a rerun (usually in the summer). And if you missed that, you were SOL until (and if) it went into syndication.
And pre-VCRs if you missed an episode and it wasn't rerun you were SOL! Especially when a season had more than 30 episodes. They only reran 12-16 episodes in the summer.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

AND if you were a child of the 80s or 90s, you also ran the risk of HAVING YOUR DAD TAPE OVER IT WITH GOLF OR NASCAR.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

SO THEN YOU'D PULL THAT LITTLE BLACK TAB ON THE BOTTOM LEFT SIDE OF THE TAPE SO IT COULDN'T BE RECORDED OVER.
SO THEN HE'D GO AND PUT DUCT TAPE OVER IT- which meant IT COULD BE.

And the battle raged on...

(I know some of you know what I am talking about)
Last edited by Lorna on April 25th, 2024, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Romeo And Juliet (1936) TCM On Demand-6/10

The Hollywood version of Shakespeare's star crossed lovers.

First time viewing for me, I avoided it because the 1968 version is my favorite Shakespeare on film. It was disappointing but not too bad. Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer have been criticized for being too old. Howard looks very long in the tooth for this but Shearer is very lovely and gives a fine performance. The film looks lavish and the supporting cast is good. It is nearly stolen by John Barrymore as a very flamboyant Mercutio and Basil Rathbone a menacing Tybalt. Rathbone got an Oscar nomination for this, I wish he had more screen time. The tragic moments still work, but the 1968 version is still by far the best.