I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
txfilmfan

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:27 pm
There are also regional differences, like Southerners (me, for one) who thought All in the Family was WAY TOO LOUD!!! PEOPLE SHRIEKING AT EACH OTHER IN UGLY ACCENTS!!!!!! Whereas Designing Women, so brilliant and funny in its early years, might not have made as much sense to people in other parts of the country.
I thought all of Normal Lear's comedies had people shouting at each other, all the time. All in the Family, Maude, Good Times, One Day at a Time, The Jeffersons - all of them had shouting as a normal, routine way of speaking. I find them hard to watch in reruns.
Last edited by txfilmfan on April 13th, 2024, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:27 pm An early contributor to this site, ChiO, said that he never argued about comedies because what people think is funny (or isn't) differs so much. He felt much more comfortable arguing about dramas.

There are also regional differences, like Southerners (me, for one) who thought All in the Family was WAY TOO LOUD!!! PEOPLE SHRIEKING AT EACH OTHER IN UGLY ACCENTS!!!!!! Whereas Designing Women, so brilliant and funny in its early years, might not have made as much sense to people in other parts of the country.
It's funny how our early impressions define our opinions for a long time. As a Yankee, my impression of Southerners was formed by the movie Li'l Abner (which I loved). Also by The Beverly Hillbillies, The Phenix City Story, etc. It wasn't until my first big romance that I learned not all Southerners are like that.

I had a colleague -- a brilliant man from Louisiana -- who told me that he had been on the debating team in college. He said that the coach told the team members to lose their Southern accents, because nobody believes anything anyone says with a Southern accent.

But now I know that not all Southerners sound like Moonbeam McSwine and the Scraggs.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Frank Lloyd Wright houses are also known for leaky roofs...

Disney's PINOCCHIO is truly one of the most beautiful films indeed.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:25 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:08 am I have never seen CURB YOUR ENTHUISAM.
We just began watching it. We were looking for a sitcom to binge and well, there’s 12 seasons. We loved Loudermilk but that was a scant 3 seasons.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is funny, but the schtick gets tiring episode after episode. MrTiki likens David to Woody Allen as a NYC Malcontent who puts his foot in his mouth far too often. Any normal person would learn to keep their mouth shut after awhile.

Although the writing & acting is pretty funny, sometimes hilarious. David leaves a restaurant with leftovers and offers it to a guy begging on the corner. The beggar asks what it is & David says “Tuna”. The beggar refuses saying “I don’t like tuna” and that gives David pause to laugh, he just can’t believe the audacity.
The line that killed us is when David’s wife returns from a week with her relatives, kisses him & noticed he hasn’t shaved all week…. he laughingly comments “the prostitutes don’t seem to mind it”
The sweetie and I have been binge watching SCHITT'S CREEK (a re-watch for me and a first time watch for the sweetie).
This has to be the best written and acted comedy series of the 2010s, and one of the best TV series of all-time.
It was created by father and son Eugene Levy and Daniel Levy, who also play father and son Johnny Rose and David Rose on the show.
Many of the episodes were also written by Daniel Levy.
There is also a Jewish sensibility to the series since the Levys and the Roses are Jewish.
Technically, Daniel Levy and David Rose are half-Jewish since their mothers are gentiles (although both Daniel and David celebrated a bar mitzvah).
David's mother Moira is hysterically played by the wonderful Catherine O'Hara, who created an idiosyncratic speech pattern for Moiria Rose, a former soap opera star.
My favorite member of the Rose family though is probably daughter Alexis, brilliantly brought to life by Annie Murphy. Her non-verbal reactions are priceless.
I guess the show is kind of a BEVERLY HILLBILLIES in reverse meets GREEN ACRES.
The formerly wealthy Roses are so wonderfully self-involved, but unlike the characters on SEINFELD, they are not mean-sprited.

Oh yeah, Daniel Levy wears the most fantastic sweaters on the show!

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Our last favorite TV show... :(
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

To add to the sitcom discussion, add another vote to the column for The Nanny. That show was hilarious, and the ensemble was perfectly matched together.

I saw a couple of episodes of Cybill online and wanted to see more because it seemed fantastic (and I loved Cybill on Moonlighting), but never got around to it. It's now MIA on streaming. Sigh.

And I thought that Bergen was ideal on Murphy Brown.

But as for the Emmys, they have long been known for having repeat winners. Sometimes it is deserved, sometimes its a bit much.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:40 pm To add to the sitcom discussion, add another vote to the column for The Nanny. That show was hilarious, and the ensemble was perfectly matched together.

I saw a couple of episodes of Cybill online and wanted to see more because it seemed fantastic (and I loved Cybill on Moonlighting), but never got around to it. It's now MIA on streaming. Sigh.

And I thought that Bergen was ideal on Murphy Brown.

But as for the Emmys, they have long been known for having repeat winners. Sometimes it is deserved, sometimes its a bit much.
You should be able to find Cybill on a few services. All four seasons of it are available on The Roku Channel, for example. Other services only have limited seasons.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

The character of singer "Johnny Fontaine" was a thinly disguised Sinatra in THE GODFATHER.

Wonder if Old Blue Eyes saw the movie and thought about suing Coppola or Mario Puzo.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:smiley_sick:
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, Hibi! She makes me want to hurl! "You can put it on your pits and butt crack"

There's actually another one with a similiar product and the same disgusting pitch about using it "everywhere".
Andree

Post by Andree »

John Wayne IS the Godfather.

Hey pilgrim, I'm gonna make them an offer they can't refuse.
Never apologize Michael, it's a sign of weakness.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Andree wrote: April 14th, 2024, 1:24 am John Wayne IS the Godfather.

Hey pilgrim, I'm gonna make them an offer they can't refuse.
Never apologize Michael, it's a sign of weakness.
Even better would be if he played the role in full Genghis Khan make up like from “the conqueror” just to confuse the s*** out of everybody.

(can you imagine the look on Pacino’s face?)
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 13th, 2024, 4:40 pm I saw a couple of episodes of Cybill online and wanted to see more because it seemed fantastic (and I loved Cybill on Moonlighting), but never got around to it.
I LOVED it when seeing it in re-runs.
The “Dr Dick” schtick got a bit tiring, but I could see desperation/obsession in those kind of Hollywood people. And Christine Baranski is good enough (and wears a wardrobe distracting enough) that you can roll with it.
I loved that Cybill’s ex-husband was a beefy Hollywood stuntman.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

The Freshman (1990) A first year New York film student (Matthew Broderick) meets a "Godfather" look alike (Marlin Brando) and becomes his errand boy. Not a Brando or gangster film fan, but based on SSO comments that this was a comedy take on The Godfather (1972), decided to try it. Have only liked Brando in On the Waterfront (1954), was disappointed with his miscasting in Guys and Dolls (1955), and absolutely hated him The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956). A few other films pretty much solidified him as someone for me to avoid. Took decades for me to finally watch The Godfather trilogy and thought that was a complete waste of time.

I often try to match my dinner to a movie, but didn't feel like cooking, so had a Health Choice Chicken Margherita with Balsamic Steamer. Somehow that seemed to be a perfect match to this flick - a lite reflection of the original. 😂 So many zany situations that seemed believable. A fun movie ... but I will still continue to generally avoid Brando. 😆
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 13th, 2024, 2:27 pm

The sweetie and I have been binge watching SCHITT'S CREEK (a re-watch for me and a first time watch for the sweetie).
This has to be the best written and acted comedy series of the 2010s, and one of the best TV series of all-time.
I guess the show is kind of a BEVERLY HILLBILLIES in reverse meets GREEN ACRES.
SCHITT'S CREEK is an unbelievably rare example of a premise that could fill a two hour movie being stretched to DICKENSIAN length over five(six?) seasons and it actually WORKING WONDERFULLY.

It is a really wonderful example of character development- all four leads as well as some of the support go through a lot of growth and change as the series continues- in ways that are both endearing and ludicrous.

of course, maybe I am prejudiced because, like a certain girl who is A CUTE HUGE YACHT...

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 8:44 pm The character of singer "Johnny Fontaine" was a thinly disguised Sinatra in THE GODFATHER.

Wonder if Old Blue Eyes saw the movie and thought about suing Coppola or Mario Puzo.
SUING CIVILLY for DAMAGES means that you are open to a process known as DISCOVERY, which means the other sides lawyer's are totally allowed to ask you FOR ALL KINDS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION- BANK STATEMENTS, TAX RETURNS, PEOPLE IN YOUR EMPLOYEE, CORRESPONDENCES, MEDICAL RECORDS- EVERYTHING....And I have a STRONG FEELING that FRANCIS ALBERT had this process explained to him very carefully on more than one occasion to talk him out of it.

(my DAD is a lawyer so I know this kind of mostly useless stuff)

SERIOUSLY though, I know SINATRA was "THE VOICE" but he was SUCH A GOOD ACTOR-
Honestly, as good as The Best there were- even if the film is ****, he's gonna see it through...I mean, the total opposite of BRANDO- not interested in being a pain in the butt or upstaging everyone or scene-stealing- JUST GETTING IN AND GETTING IT DONE IN ONE TAKE- TWO IF HE HAPPENED TO BE IN A GOOD MOOD AND TEE TIME WASN'T TIL 4:00.