POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

Thompson

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll ends today!

Post by Thompson »

It may be hard to believe, but I don't! I came in today to use the work computer for something. (I have a flip phone and no computer at home).
[/quote]

Hibi, that is the most refreshing post I’ve heard in a while. I believe it and all the more power to you. My brother forced this smarta$$ phone on me and I’ve been getting into trouble ever since.
Last edited by Thompson on December 29th, 2022, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElCid

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by ElCid »

I thought we were going to end the discussion on this topic.
The advisory poll has been taken and everyone has had ample opportunity to comment.
Now it is up to the Administrators to determine whether or not to add a like button.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

ElCid wrote: December 29th, 2022, 4:40 pm I thought we were going to end the discussion on this topic.
Why did you think that, ElCid?

If you don't like the discussion, don't participate in it!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll ends today!

Post by EP Millstone »

Hibi wrote: December 29th, 2022, 3:40 pm It may be hard to believe, but I don't! I came in today to use the work computer for something. (I have a flip phone and no computer at home).
Hibi,

I hope that you don't get in trouble for "playing on the Web" on company time and company equipment. Watch your back!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Although I’ve been spending my posting time on the Classic Film/TV board, which I’ve grown to like, I do look in here once in a while. (On the other board, we are all newbies, so no one can accuse us of entering someone else’s home. And there are some new posters there whose posts I enjoy very much.)

Look, I know that it’s easy on these anonymous boards to get carried away and express oneself in an undignified manner. It does require a special kind of restraint to avoid that.

For me, it was never really just about a “like” button. It was my disappointment about certain responses. I understand that people have differing opinions, but how can people who have used a “like” button frequently on the TCM board suddenly become so vehement in their opposition to it? (I know people can change their minds, but so violently, and so rudely?)

Regarding the poll, one may recall that Movieman1957 posted that he had voted. Although he voted “no,” surely the fact that a moderator voted, adds credibility to the poll, and gives it an imprimatur! I will be interested in seeing the decision.

Taking a break from cleaning and cooking for Christmas dinner, I browsed our old TCM site and enjoyed seeing some of the wonderful posts you all made over the years. I hope they're being archived. I’ll conclude this post by quoting from one of my final posts (made on November 25) on the TCM board. I was surprised to notice that the anti-like poster who made that outrageous post here, actually liked the following post!

"I joined the TCM Board 16 years ago because of my love for TCM. I was younger, my needs were different. I worked (and still dabble) in an arts milieu in which there were plenty of people to speak with, about classic films, but I enjoyed the additional anonymous connections here. Now, the attraction of the Board is really about the posters I've come to know and enjoy. Despite it's vastness and number of threads, this is a manageable Board, in terms of size, and it's the people who have kept me here.

I sometimes comment on The Guardian newspaper website -- it's vast -- but my rare comments there have nothing to do with the other posters: there are too many of them anyway, from around the world. It's a different experience. Some boards, like TheatreBoard, which focuses on UK theater -- are useful to me for information. But our TCM site is more about community, and at this stage in my life, that's what I'll miss when this board shuts down. So I'm glad that there will be at least a bit of that community on those two other sites.

Heraclitus may or may not have been right -- "you can't step into the same river twice -- δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης" -- but other philosophers have disagreed with him. But there is inevitable change. Perhaps A.E. Housman said it best. Terence Davies quotes Housman's famous lines in Of Time and the City:

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again."
laffite

Post by laffite »

Cuthbert wrote: December 29th, 2022, 5:57 pm
Heraclitus may or may not have been right -- "you can't step into the same river twice -- δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης" -- but other philosophers have disagreed with him. But there is inevitable change. Perhaps A.E. Housman said it best. Terence Davies quotes Housman's famous lines in Of Time and the City:

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again."
[/i]
Wonderful post, Swithin. of which only the ending comment is shown. Lovely poem and has always moved me. I am at times (especially as I grow older and older and older, i am 78) to be so struck by a memory, of events, of good times and bad times, or simply a place in my past, that a certain paralysis of mind, a calm state of being mesmerized, descends upon me with inexorable fascination. I have not entered into an altered state or anything and it doesn't last long, that state of being, mind you; but the memory will go on nonetheless, and will wane in due course, not to be forgotten, nor be wallowed in. That simple poem evokes. Not having the power to revisit places of remembrances past is an affliction of old age (to me), and derives a certain pleasure, though mightily bittersweet. And yes M. Villon, Ou sont des neiges d'antan?
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, considering we seem to suddenly be in some sort of a "reflective" mood at the moment here gentlemen, HERE'S a thought for YA:

Ever wonder how they make that paint that does that???

(...well, I HAVE told ya before that I'm not much of a deep thinker here, now haven't I ?!) ;)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Dargo wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:02 pm Well, considering we seem to suddenly be in some sort of a "reflective" mood at the moment here gentlemen, HERE'S a thought for YA:

Wonder no more, Dargo!

How To Make Reflective Paint
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

EP Millstone wrote: December 29th, 2022, 9:11 pm
Dargo wrote: December 29th, 2022, 7:02 pm Well, considering we seem to suddenly be in some sort of a "reflective" mood at the moment here gentlemen, HERE'S a thought for YA:

Wonder no more, Dargo!

How To Make Reflective Paint
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: December 29th, 2022, 6:49 pm

Wonderful post, Swithin. of which only the ending comment is shown. Lovely poem and has always moved me. I am at times (especially as I grow older and older and older, i am 78) to be so struck by a memory, of events, of good times and bad times, or simply a place in my past, that a certain paralysis of mind, a calm state of being mesmerized, descends upon me with inexorable fascination. I have not entered into an altered state or anything and it doesn't last long, that state of being, mind you; but the memory will go on nonetheless, and will wane in due course, not to be forgotten, nor be wallowed in. That simple poem evokes. Not having the power to revisit places of remembrances past is an affliction of old age (to me), and derives a certain pleasure, though mightily bittersweet. And yes M. Villon, Ou sont des neiges d'antan?
Thank you Lafitte. If we had a like button, I would use it. That's all that's needed to honour your lovely response. No words necessary.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

The TCM site had more than just a Like button. They had a confused button and a couple of others. I no longer have access to the site so I don't remember what the others were.
As I said earlier, if the Administrators agree to a Like button, they should also add a Dislike or Disagree button. Fair is fair. Although I still remain opposed to any more buttons.
As for the discussion, appears that a very small group is still intent on forcing a change on the rest of the members rather than waiting for the Administrators to make a decision based on the advisory poll.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

ElCid wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:16 am The TCM site had more than just a Like button. They had a confused button and a couple of others. I no longer have access to the site so I don't remember what the others were.
As I said earlier, if the Administrators agree to a Like button, they should also add a Dislike or Disagree button. Fair is fair. Although I still remain opposed to any more buttons.
As for the discussion, appears that a very small group is still intent on forcing a change on the rest of the members rather than waiting for the Administrators to make a decision based on the advisory poll.
Here's just one example of a highly respected board related to British theatre. They only have a like button. The assumption is that other buttons express stronger opinions, and in those cases, people would tend to write something, rather than just use a button. (But I wouldn't be averse to more buttons.)

https://theatreboard.co.uk

I do think, based on my experience, that if a moderator actually votes in a poll, it's not to advise himself. Of course it's up to the mods, but I think Movieman1957 voted in the poll because he took the poll seriously; not just to advise himself or his co-moderators!
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

ElCid wrote: December 30th, 2022, 9:16 am The TCM site had more than just a Like button. They had a confused button and a couple of others. I no longer have access to the site so I don't remember what the others were.
TCM had Like, confused, sad, and thanks. Thanks had a trophy as it’s icon so it was more generally used like “winner” for really good comments.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

For some naysayers, what could be worse than a Like button?

A range of reaction buttons!

What could be worse than a range of reaction buttons?

Animated reaction buttons!

laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 30th, 2022, 8:04 pm For some naysayers, what could be worse than a Like button?

A range of reaction buttons!

What could be worse than a range of reaction buttons?

Animated reaction buttons!

Not bad. Except the pulsating heart. I was in the habit of inserting a heart next to a name of fave beauties, but I wanted it to be sweet. All that pulsating makes it inappropriately aggressive (as if i were a dirty old man). At least this one is less so that the one we have. Reminds me of Pinkerton waiting breathlessly to get his hands all over Cio-Cio-San.
Mona