POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

LostHorizons

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Post by LostHorizons »

LawrenceA wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:23 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:15 am
He didn’t like me very much but also I don’t blame him. I found him knowledgeable and funny sometimes. What I just don’t get is why he never outright admitted being Persian even though he clearly supported Iran heavily and is probably from there. He always stuck to “I’m Irish American and I just really support Iran and Hezbollah because they are downtrodden like us.”

That's weird, because I don't recall him being super pro-Iran. I'm not saying he wasn't, just that I don't recall it, nor him expressing any sort of dislike for you.

I recall him being pretty consistent in his disdain for US foreign policy, and being pro-Palestinian, and of course his dislike of the English in general and Churchill in particular.
One thing in particular which struck me was his “review” of Ken Burns Holocaust documentary. His review was something like “okay, now do the Palestinians in Israel. OH WAIT” That to me was just wtf? Only an Iranian American would say something like that on the topic of a Holocaust documentary.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I want a button that shows Shelley Winters in her prime with some sassy dialogue and maybe a “bending over the stove” shot.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

What I don’t want is that same shot of Shirley MacClaine. No thanks. She is mean and spiteful and not near as sexy as she thinks she is.
Last edited by Thompson on December 13th, 2022, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

That has always stuck in my craw, or stuck somewhere, that she talked about and “rated” her boyfriends. This guy did this, this guy drank, this guy couldn’t perform when I wanted him to. It’s no wonder she has a bad reputation and no boyfriends.
Last edited by Thompson on December 13th, 2022, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

And she can’t bend over a stove worth a darn, Shirley MacLaine
Hibi

Re: Do you want a Like button?

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:19 pm

This is probably a joke based on something Vautrin posted on the TCM boards.
While I don't know the specifics (or even the generalities), I found it funny.
Vautrin prided himself on never voting! :(
Proud for never voting? Wow! I missed that.
Yep. He stated that several times over the years.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

laffite wrote: December 12th, 2022, 9:27 pm
Hibi wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:19 pm

This is probably a joke based on something Vautrin posted on the TCM boards.
While I don't know the specifics (or even the generalities), I found it funny.
Vautrin prided himself on never voting! :(
Maybe he was following his namesake. Vautrin appeared in Pere Goriot, Balzac's novel and he would never have voted. He was a villain of high degree and abhorred Rousseau's Social Contract. He hated society. :tickedoff:
Could be! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 13th, 2022, 4:59 am I want a button that shows Shelley Winters in her prime with some sassy dialogue and maybe a “bending over the stove” shot.
LIKE!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 12th, 2022, 11:45 pm How does Vautrin rate? He never likes a post , never quotes a post, he’s kinda uppity and knowitally, but I love the way he paragraphs.
That's not true. He did both to me.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LawrenceA wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:23 am
LostHorizons wrote: December 13th, 2022, 1:15 am
He didn’t like me very much but also I don’t blame him. I found him knowledgeable and funny sometimes. What I just don’t get is why he never outright admitted being Persian even though he clearly supported Iran heavily and is probably from there. He always stuck to “I’m Irish American and I just really support Iran and Hezbollah because they are downtrodden like us.”

That's weird, because I don't recall him being super pro-Iran. I'm not saying he wasn't, just that I don't recall it, nor him expressing any sort of dislike for you.

I recall him being pretty consistent in his disdain for US foreign policy, and being pro-Palestinian, and of course his dislike of the English in general and Churchill in particular.
I don't remember that either. I took him as a bit of a provocateur. Not sure I always believed his statements. He was funny though and I enjoyed his posts.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thompson wrote: December 13th, 2022, 7:30 am What I don’t want is that same shot of Shirley MacClaine. No thanks. She is mean and spiteful and not near as sexy as she thinks she is.
And a really bad mother.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Forgive me for not having read all the comments here, I thought this was merely a "poll" thread. Is Vautrin dead? The comments sound like eulogies!
Last edited by Swithin on December 13th, 2022, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:52 pm I was simply curious what caused this site to go "dark", while the TCM message board continued until the plug was pulled. There were occasional new users at the TCM board, but not many, and most quit after a short time. It was primarily the same group of people who had been posting for many years, and despite repeatedly going over the same topics, they still kept posting.
What happened here is that the user base was very small (VERY small) and the main contributors went to Facebook, which dropped the traffic of most of the rest of us, and so that was that. There were one or two posters generating most of the topics and content that the rest of us were responding to or viewing, and when they went to Facebook, there really wasn't much to see here. We had one poster who posted a huge thread every day with pictures of movie stars, usually on their birthday, which generated discussion in the thread about that person...that kind of thing. Another member grew up knowing a lot of golden age greats, and shared stories. I found his posts fascinating. I wish I could remember who, and get him back if he's still with us.

Anyway, please don't take my comment about overwhelming support as a discouragement to voting in the poll! If we have a significant majority for it, then we can rethink things. "Overwhelming" is a subjective term, after all. :)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:17 am
LawrenceA wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:52 pm I was simply curious what caused this site to go "dark", while the TCM message board continued until the plug was pulled. There were occasional new users at the TCM board, but not many, and most quit after a short time. It was primarily the same group of people who had been posting for many years, and despite repeatedly going over the same topics, they still kept posting.
What happened here is that the user base was very small (VERY small) and the main contributors went to Facebook, which dropped the traffic of most of the rest of us, and so that was that. There were one or two posters generating most of the topics and content that the rest of us were responding to or viewing, and when they went to Facebook, there really wasn't much to see here. We had one poster who posted a huge thread every day with pictures of movie stars, usually on their birthday, which generated discussion in the thread about that person...that kind of thing. Another member grew up knowing a lot of golden age greats, and shared stories. I found his posts fascinating. I wish I could remember who, and get him back if he's still with us.

Anyway, please don't take my comment about overwhelming support as a discouragement to voting in the poll! If we have a significant majority for it, then we can rethink things. "Overwhelming" is a subjective term, after all. :)
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Lomm wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:17 am

Yeah, I suspected as much. These kinds of sites need discussion instigators, and not just commenters. I used to be good at starting discussions/threads, but I got lazy over the years. Some of our better TCM instigators haven't appeared here (MissW, CigarJoe, LHF), and others just haven't posted much yet. I do thank Detective Jim, Cinema International, ziggy, Swithin, Masha and others for putting in the effort to try and start discussions thus far.
Last edited by LawrenceA on December 13th, 2022, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watching until the end.