POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Do you want a Like button?

Poll ended at December 22nd, 2022, 2:45 pm

YES, I want a Like button.
60%
NO, I do not want a Like button.
40%

Total votes: 25

KayFrancis

Re: POLL: Do you want a Like button? Poll has ended!

Post by KayFrancis »

Love both Keaton and Chaplin, Harold Lloyd is my favorite but I'll go with Keaton for the poll
Last edited by KayFrancis on December 23rd, 2022, 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:14 pm
ElCid wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:19 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 4:07 pm
I assume you prefer not to give names, but at least to me it is not obvious about whom you are speaking. I also assume that the two people who behaved so badly were opposed to the like button?
Regardless, I hope you stay with SSO and continue to post. It seems that we all can discuss movies, people, TV, etc. with out all the divisiveness that occurs on this type question.
Happy Holidays!
My Dear ElCid,

I thought it unnecessary to name names, thinking it would obvious! Simply having an opinion different to mine would not constitute behaving badly. Calling me (and others) a troll, and other names, definitely constitutes behaving badly. You read her post, how can you not know who she is?

And the other person should be obvious to you as well. ;)

But it doesn't matter. As I've said, I joined both boards. I know several people here have had problems with the moderator of the other board. I've had disagreements with him over the years, but I guess I just didn’t engage with him that often, maybe due to the threads that I frequented. His is a good board, and it has potential. I’ve already had many enjoyable conversations there, and, yes, I’ve “liked” some posts, and enjoyed more substantive exchanges in others. Many of our old friends are there.

As Movieman1957 just posted about the "like" discussion, "I shouldn't think it is anything for an argument." I agree, though I take a different view. I think it's something so basic, to provide it, and those who don't want to use it don't have to.
It isn’t immediately to me either who the other individual is who offended you (the male one). There are lots of people from both sides who contested the poll.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

movieman1957 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:46 pm Speaking only for myself, I want everyone to stay and everyone to enjoy the place, button or not. Frankly, I am a little surprised that this much energy and angst has been spent on this item.
You and me both.

IMO, the reason that this topic has become a (you should pardon the expression) hot button issue has nothing to do with a button and everything to do with Choice and The Denial of Choice.
movieman1957 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:46 pm My hope is that we comment with as much enthusiasm over whether Dramas or Westerns are the better genre, or Keaton or Chaplin is the better comedian. (As some have already done, look up some of the really old stuff and see what was going on.)
As much as I love movies (which is my only passion), I can't work up the interest, energy, excitement, and enthusiasm to debate about them. I find discussions -- especially long, drawn-out discussions -- about movies boring (ditto discussions about books and matters of personal taste). A couple of years ago I joined a local Horror Film movie club. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But, I dropped out because I just can't watch a movie with a bunch of film buffs and then sit around talking about a work of fiction.

"But when she saw that he was afraid of a crucifix and never wanted to go on a date during the daytime, how could she not know that he was a vampire? Huh? How? Explain that to me! I would have known! Wouldn't YOU have?"

"Uhhhh, calm down, Van Helsing. It's only a movie. If you wanna get worked up about something, take a look over there at that wino barfing all over your car."
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 23rd, 2022, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

KayFrancis wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:09 pm Love both Keaton and Chaplin, Harold Lloyd is my favorite but I'll go with Keaton for the poll.
I wanted to "like" this post but I couldn't find the "like" button.

KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

scsu1975 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 8:10 pm
KayFrancis wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:09 pm Love both Keaton and Chaplin, Harold Lloyd is my favorite but I'll go with Keaton for the poll.
scsu wrote
I wanted to "like" this post but I couldn't find the Like button
Last edited by KayFrancis on December 23rd, 2022, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

LawrenceA wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:43 pm
movieman1957 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 5:46 pm
So, Chaplin or Keaton?
Harold Lloyd
;)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

EP Millstone wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:50 pm As much as I love movies (which is my only passion), I can't work up the interest, energy, excitement, and enthusiasm to debate about them. I find discussions -- especially long, drawn-out discussions -- about movies boring (ditto discussions about books and matters of personal taste).
If you don't enjoy discussing movies, why do you participate in movie discussion boards???

If you just want to post your own thoughts, there are other options available.

Not trolling, just curious . . .
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Honestly, not a big fan of any of the “major three” of silent comedy. I watched enough of them growing up that you couldn’t even pay me to sit down and watch them nowadays. If I had to pick I would go with Max Linder I guess since he is the predecessor to all of them, sort of like their grandfather.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm
It isn’t immediately to me either who the other individual is who offended you (the male one). There are lots of people from both sides who contested the poll.
[/quote]

It isn't really important who the other individual is.

When TCM announced the sunsetting, I posted about how, although of course we love to discuss film, it was the impending loss of the community that we built up over the years that I lamented most. There are dozens of sites to discuss films. I chose to join the two boards which promised some continuation of our community, and I favoured this one, because a few of my favourite posters settled here.

I'm not a sensitive creature; I don't take offense easily. It's more a question of disillusionment. Two posters whom I admired, and who were part of the reason I settled on the SSO, behaved badly: the one with a really horrid, nasty post, which was offensive on so many levels; the other with (I felt) an irrational disregard for the election after the fact, which he continued to harp on.

So my point is that the justification I had for coming here has been diminished. I'll see how things go. I absolutely do not understand how an election which expressed desire for something fairly innocuous can be ignored. It would not hurt the minority who voted "no" to add a "like" button which can be used by the majority who voted "yes" and can be ignored by anyone who wants to ignore it.

The "yes" side won the election. The moderators can do as they please; it would just seem to me to be very odd if they did not respect the results. That in conjunction with the fall from my grace of two individuals who were part of my reason for coming here, would make me seriously reconsider whether I wanted to stay here.

My absence would certainly not be a loss for the SSO. I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:17 pm I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?

Well, I guess we can start another poll to see if we can get rid of the "quote" button." :)
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 8:44 pm If you don't enjoy discussing movies, why do you participate in movie discussion boards???
A fair question.

There is more to the SSO than just discussions, e.g., links to essays, articles, publications, profiles, and movies and music; games (although I'm not really a gamer either); news and announcements; Q&A; and most enjoyed by me: humor and wit.
Last edited by EP Millstone on December 23rd, 2022, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

scsu1975 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:25 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:17 pm I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?

Well, I guess we can start another poll to see if we can get rid of the "quote" button." :)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I keep hitting the Report button by mistake, sorry about that lol
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:17 pm

When TCM announced the sunsetting, I posted about how, although of course we love to discuss film, it was the impending loss of the community that we built up over the years that I lamented most. There are dozens of sites to discuss films. I chose to join the two boards which promised some continuation of our community, and I favoured this one, because a few of my favourite posters settled here.

I'm not a sensitive creature; I don't take offense easily. It's more a question of disillusionment. Two posters whom I admired, and who were part of the reason I settled on the SSO, behaved badly: the one with a really horrid, nasty post, which was offensive on so many levels; the other with (I felt) an irrational disregard for the election after the fact, which he continued to harp on.

So my point is that the justification I had for coming here has been diminished. I'll see how things go. I absolutely do not understand how an election which expressed desire for something fairly innocuous can be ignored. It would not hurt the minority who voted "no" to add a "like" button which can be used by the majority who voted "yes" and can be ignored by anyone who wants to ignore it.

The "yes" side won the election. The moderators can do as they please; it would just seem to me to be very odd if they did not respect the results. That in conjunction with the fall from my grace of two individuals who were part of my reason for coming here, would make me seriously reconsider whether I wanted to stay here.

My absence would certainly not be a loss for the SSO. I can't even seem to edit a post without pressing the "quote" button by mistake, thereby creating numerous copies of my post. Who needs that?
[/quote]

I think I figured out who you are referring to and I do not see how him changing his mind offends you. People change their minds all the time. Likewise, the other poster apologized for her post. The stuff you are threatening to leave over seems really innocuous to me.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 11:54 pm
Cuthbert wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 9:17 pm

I think I figured out who you are referring to and I do not see how him changing his mind offends you. People change their minds all the time. Likewise, the other poster apologized for her post. The stuff you are threatening to leave over seems really innocuous to me.
[/quote]

That was no apology. Look at it again. Regarding the male poster, of course people can change their mind. But to disrespect an election and think of all kinds of reasons to criticize it, after it has taken place and a result exists, is not right. And it just happens to be a poster I had a very high regard for on the old board, which is why it saddens me.

But nor is it right for me to "threaten" to leave. I'll go if/when I'm ready, no one needs to hear my whinging over that; And I would look in on occasion.

This has been a mean-spirited discussion, on all our parts, but particularly mean-spirited on the part of the minority, who lost the election. A couple of those posters are people whom I've respected in the past. Give us our damn "like" button, we voted for it; and let the losing side in the election -- particularly the two people whom I've always had a high regard for -- concede graciously.

(Sorry about the font size of my post. It's difficult here, after a few levels of quoting, to differentiate between responses, so the size thing helps.)