February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Post by Hibi »

lydecker wrote: December 21st, 2022, 1:29 pm
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 2:58 pm There seems to be a unwritten rule lately that one SOTM per year is dedicated to a minority actor/actress whether they were a star or not. (Anna May Wong, etc.-don't get me wrong, I like her but...). In Rita's case, she's still alive and there might be a night of interviews or a podcast. And of course, Mank will cover the racism angle. I really think it's time they expand the category to include supporting players/character actor/actresses. Since they seem to have run out of stars they want to honor (for the first time, though there are plenty still waiting), since some of their choices were never stars to being with (for whatever reason).
I'd say it's way more than one SOTM/year. And yes, the category should be broadened to include supporting players/character actors/actresses. Thomas Mitchell would make an perfect SOTM -- he appeared in so many important classic films.
Yes. And also performers who played leads in lesser A's or Bs like Marie Windsor etc. who often played leads and sometimes supporting roles. Is a big cross over group there who never get their due. Fair is fair. (I know TCM isn't fair....). They have as much right as Rita Moreno does....

Just call it Performer of the Month.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: December 20th, 2022, 12:56 pm
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
I agree. I like Rita Moreno, but I don't see the new schedule and go "ooh Rita Moreno, I better set my DVR." She's in "Singin in the Rain" but barely. I like "West Side Story" but I find the two leads kind of irritating in this film, despite how much I love Natalie Wood. I also can't stand Marni Nixon's dubbing. She's a good singer, don't get me wrong, but her voice does not match Natalie's affected Latina accented voice. The dubbing in this film always takes me completely out of it.

Maybe Rita will be interviewed and help introduce her films, that would make it more interesting for me at least.
I also like Rita Moreno (and love Natalie Wood), but having seen Steven Spielberg's recent adaptation of WEST SIDE STORY, it's difficult to watch the 1961 movie without seeing all the older movie's flaws, notably the overly dark make-up on the actors playing the Puerto Rican characters even on Rita Moreno (!) who is Puerto Rican and Marni Nixon's jarring dub of Natalie Wood's singing voice.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

lydecker wrote: December 21st, 2022, 1:29 pm Thomas Mitchell would make an perfect SOTM -- he appeared in so many important classic films.
Most definitely!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

On Tuesday, February 21, TCM’s daytime line-up is devoted to movies with Alain Delon!
ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (1960)
THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE (1964)
ONCE A THIEF (1965)
RED SUN (1971)
L'ECLISSE (1962)
PURPLE NOON (1961)

I’ve seen them all except for RED SUN.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:27 am On Tuesday, February 21, TCM’s daytime line-up is devoted to movies with Alain Delon!
ONCE A THIEF (1965)
RED SUN (1971)
L'ECLISSE (1962)
PURPLE NOON (1961)

Red Sun is on Tubi, I believe. Delon's role is very minor. The slot would have been better with either Le Samourai (1967), Red Circle (1970) or The Swimming Pool (1969).
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:27 am On Tuesday, February 21, TCM’s daytime line-up is devoted to movies with Alain Delon!
ONCE A THIEF (1965)
RED SUN (1971)
L'ECLISSE (1962)
PURPLE NOON (1961)

It's not a great movie by any means but even Zorro would have been a better choice.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

skimpole wrote: December 24th, 2022, 3:14 am
Red Sun is on Tubi, I believe. Delon's role is very minor. The slot would have been better with either Le Samourai (1967), Red Circle (1970) or The Swimming Pool (1969).
[/quote]

The Leopard would be better still.
[/quote]

Yes, it absolutely would. Wasn’t thinking of that one. It’s also in the Criterion collection so TCM has the rights to show it.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

LostHorizons wrote: December 24th, 2022, 4:40 am
Yes, it absolutely would. Wasn’t thinking of that one. It’s also in the Criterion collection so TCM has the rights to show it.
Not all films in the Criterion collection are available to TCM. In fact, not all of the films in the Criterion collection are available to the Criterion collection, at least not any more. There are a lot of them that are out of print because the licensing rights expired, and broadcast rights would need to be negotiated with the current rights holders. Most of the remaining Criterion DVD's in my collection are ones that the rights have expired for, and I can't currently order a new Blu-ray version.

Most of these seem to be English-language films from major studios (Rosemary's Baby, Harold and Maude, etc.), but some are foreign language films, as well.
Watching until the end.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:04 pm
It was a really small wordless part, but she was in Singin in the Rain for a few moments. And her striptease scene in Marlowe is certainly an eye-opener.
If you really want an eye-opener, try Carol Channing's striptease in Skidoo.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

cmovieviewer wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:41 am
I like your analysis. These days TCM is all about the promotion. The only question is that 80 for Brady is a Paramount production. If it was Warner, then it would be a slam dunk.
They promote a Paramount movie in exchange for getting the rights to run certain movies Paramount holds. (That's my educated guess, not stated as fact. I also distinctly recall many years back TCM promoting certain Universal box sets.)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Fedya wrote: December 24th, 2022, 1:18 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:04 pm
It was a really small wordless part, but she was in Singin in the Rain for a few moments. And her striptease scene in Marlowe is certainly an eye-opener.
If you really want an eye-opener, try Carol Channing's striptease in Skidoo.
I remember that. The see-through bra and all. Skidoo wasn't a high point for anyone, although Channing acquitted herself better than many others in it.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:40 pm Any Alain Delon films would be welcome.
Agreed!
I re-watched PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON) today.