February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
LostHorizons

Re: February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Post by LostHorizons »

February 21- Alain Delon celebration. Set dvrs to “record.” :) They seem to be the constant repeats such as Yellow Rolls Royce and Rocco though Red Sun looks like it doesn’t turn up that frequently.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

They should have definitely scheduled “The Swimming Pool.” It’s in Criterion so they definitely have the rights to it.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

"If there's one man in this whole world I was born to kill with my own two hands it is Seymour Pippin!"
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:10 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 4:06 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: December 20th, 2022, 11:49 am If TCM wishes to honor a Latino woman why not Katy Jurado. Jurado was in many more high qualify films than Moreno and had a lot more interesting roles;

Bullfighter and the Lady, High Noon, Arrowhead, Broken Lance, The Racers, Trial, Trapeze, The Badlanders, One Eyed Jacks, Barabbas, Once Upon A Scandal.
I think its in part because Moreno is still alive and working. At this point, she's one of the very few people left who has been in films for over 70 years. She is in a late in life comeback right now; she had that new version of One Day at a Time (as the grandmother) that was much beloved by its fans, she had the West Side remake, and she has a new comedy in February where she is one of four co-leads, along with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field.

I wonder if the new version of One Day at a Time is produced under the same parent company that owns TCM.
No, just looked, it was done by Sony/Columbia. Have a hunch that this SOTM is meant to be a tie-in to her new film, given it opens in February. Prediction, she will be joining Ben on the set.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 2:58 pm There seems to be a unwritten rule lately that one SOTM per year is dedicated to a minority actor/actress whether they were a star or not. (Anna May Wong, etc.-don't get me wrong, I like her but...). In Rita's case, she's still alive and there might be a night of interviews or a podcast. And of course, Mank will cover the racism angle. I really think it's time they expand the category to include supporting players/character actor/actresses. Since they seem to have run out of stars they want to honor (for the first time, though there are plenty still waiting), since some of their choices were never stars to being with (for whatever reason).
They would have done better to honor Alain Delon for the whole month instead of giving him just one day.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

CinemaInternational wrote: December 20th, 2022, 8:53 pm

I think its in part because Moreno is still alive and working. At this point, she's one of the very few people left who has been in films for over 70 years. She is in a late in life comeback right now; she had that new version of One Day at a Time (as the grandmother) that was much beloved by its fans, she had the West Side remake, and she has a new comedy in February where she is one of four co-leads, along with Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Sally Field.

I wonder if the new version of One Day at a Time is produced under the same parent company that owns TCM.
No, just looked, it was done by Sony/Columbia. Have a hunch that this SOTM is meant to be a tie-in to her new film, given it opens in February. Prediction, she will be joining Ben on the set.
I like your analysis. These days TCM is all about the promotion. The only question is that 80 for Brady is a Paramount production. If it was Warner, then it would be a slam dunk.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Nope. The remake was produced by Act III Productions (a Norman Lear company), GloNation Studios (Gloria Calderon Kellett), Snowpants Productions (Mike Royce) and Sony Television.

Distribution was by Netflix and Pop TV (which is under the Paramount umbrella, via MTV).

The original was created by Whitney Blake (who played the mother on Hazel, and was real-life mother of Meredith Baxter), Norman Lear and Allan Mannings, husband of Whitney Blake. Production of the original series was by TAT Communications Company (a Norman Lear company), which later became Embassy Communications. Later on, it was sold to Coca-Cola, which owned Columbia Pictures at that time. They then sold that (along with Columbia) to TriStar, and before the ink was barely dry on that deal, they were sold to Sony.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

EP Millstone wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:32 pm
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:00 pm I wonder if they'll even run that since it's Fox? Will be interesting to see what the line up is.
Hibi,

You can see the selection of Rita Moreno's movies in the February 2023 schedules created by cmovieviewer.

POLL: Do you want a Like button?

Thanks. Not impressive. Several TBAs as well.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LostHorizons wrote: December 21st, 2022, 1:12 am
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 2:58 pm There seems to be a unwritten rule lately that one SOTM per year is dedicated to a minority actor/actress whether they were a star or not. (Anna May Wong, etc.-don't get me wrong, I like her but...). In Rita's case, she's still alive and there might be a night of interviews or a podcast. And of course, Mank will cover the racism angle. I really think it's time they expand the category to include supporting players/character actor/actresses. Since they seem to have run out of stars they want to honor (for the first time, though there are plenty still waiting), since some of their choices were never stars to being with (for whatever reason).
They would have done better to honor Alain Delon for the whole month instead of giving him just one day.
True. But when have they ever honored a foreign film star besides Sophia Loren? I guess Ingrid semi- qualifies, but then both had long Hollywood careers too, to choose from.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL! Knew there had to be a tie in!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:41 am

I like your analysis. These days TCM is all about the promotion.

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!

The only question is that 80 for Brady is a Paramount production. If it was Warner, then it would be a slam dunk.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:36 pm

LOL! Knew there had to be a tie in!
They also probably want to capitalize on the fact that she becomes the second oldest person ever to co-lead a Hollywood film (Lillian Gish still has the record for 1987's The Whales of August)
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
Totally agree. I love her but she probably has done more stage and TV work than films. The criteria for choosing a SOTM has apparently changed drastically. They barely picked Grace Kelly because she hadn't done enough films. Now they routinely pick actors whose filmography is limited while ignoring folks who worked in film for decades.
lydecker

Post by lydecker »

I'd say it's way more than one SOTM/year. And yes, the category should be broadened to include supporting players/character actors/actresses. Thomas Mitchell would make an perfect SOTM -- he appeared in so many important classic films.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

lydecker wrote: December 21st, 2022, 1:25 pm
Hibi wrote: December 20th, 2022, 10:21 am SIGH. Aside from West Side Story, what notable films has she been in? At least she's a first timer.
Totally agree. I love her but she probably has done more stage and TV work than films. The criteria for choosing a SOTM has apparently changed drastically. They barely picked Grace Kelly because she hadn't done enough films. Now they routinely pick actors whose filmography is limited while ignoring folks who worked in film for decades.
YEP!!!!!