February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Fedya

Re: February 2023 Schedule Posted, Rita Moreno is SOTM

Post by Fedya »

To be fair, however, nobody in Plein Soleil is credibly American.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Fedya wrote: December 25th, 2022, 8:22 am To be fair, however, nobody in Plein Soleil is credibly American.
I think Freddy and his parents are the only ones played by actual American actors though of course Delon plays Tom Ripley.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

kingrat wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:40 pm Any Alain Delon films would be welcome.
They could play Asterix and Obelix where he is Caesar (a fitting role).
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fedya wrote: December 25th, 2022, 8:22 am To be fair, however, nobody in Plein Soleil is credibly American.
In PLEIN SOLEIL we have primarily French actors playing American characters and speaking French.

In North American and British movies it is common for actors to speak English in movies where all the characters are supposed to be French (or Russian or German). Sometimes the actors affect some sort of an accent; sometimes they don't. It's understood that the characters are meant to be speaking in their own language even though the dialogue is in English.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Note, Rita joins the list of these former SOTMs who were honored while they were still alive:

Doris Day: 1995, 2003, 2012
Olivia De Havilland: 1998, 2003, 2016
Glenn Ford: 1994, 2001
Greer Garson: 1994
Katharine Hepburn: 1997
James Stewart: 1996
Elizabeth Taylor: 1999, 2006
June Allyson: 1997
Lauren Bacall: 2000, 2012
Cyd Charisse: 1998
Kirk Douglas: 2002, 2011
Kathryn Grayson: 1996
Gene Kelly: 1995
Deborah Kerr: 1996, 2006
Angela Lansbury: 1994, 2012
Robert Mitchum: 1996
Eleanor Parker: 1997, 2013
Gregory Peck: 1999
Sidney Poitier: 2002, 2019
Jane Powell: 1995, 2019
Ronald Reagan: 1995
Mickey Rooney: 1999, 2010
Esther Williams: 1995, 2011
Shelley Winters: 2002
Jane Wyman: 2000
Leslie Caron: 2009
Sean Connery: 2009
Joan Fontaine: 2005
James Garner: 2001
Gene Hackman: 2016
Charlton Heston: 1998
Van Johnson: 1996
Sophia Loren: 2008
Shirley MacLaine: 2003
Kim Novak: 2013
Maureen O’Hara: 2014
Robert Redford: 2015
Debbie Reynolds: 2000
Robert Young: 1996
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 25th, 2022, 2:40 pm
In PLEIN SOLEIL we have primarily French actors playing American characters and speaking French.

In North American and British movies it is common for actors to speak English in movies where all the characters are supposed to be French (or Russian or German). Sometimes the actors affect some sort of an accent; sometimes they don't. It's understood that the characters are meant to be speaking in their own language even though the dialogue is in English.
Well American actors are used for the supporting parts which are American roles. It was probably out of necessity that the main roles all went to French actors. Bill Kearns is the only actual American in a major role and it is immediately apparent he is phonetically speaking all of his lines. Even with my subpar French skills I could hear a mile away he was struggling to pronounce everything. An entire movie of Americans speaking like that would be grating to native French speakers.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

LostHorizons wrote: December 20th, 2022, 7:20 pm February 21- Alain Delon celebration. Set dvrs to “record.” :) They seem to be the constant repeats such as Yellow Rolls Royce and Rocco though Red Sun looks like it doesn’t turn up that frequently.
I am here for Alain Delon. I just discovered him last year (earlier this year? I have no idea, it all runs together) when I saw "La Piscine." I then watched "Purple Noon" which was fantastic. I got so wrapped up in the film, the subtitles almost seemed inconsequential, even though I don't speak French.

"Once a Thief" was introduced by Dana Delany when she guest hosted with Eddie Mueller for an evening. This film was also my first introduction to Mr. Delon, so I'd like to thank Ms. Delany for that. Plus, "Once a Thief" is a good film. I loved the jazz score and the overall aesthetic of the film. Van Heflin was great. I also liked Jack Palance, even though he's supposed to be Alain Delon's brother and is affecting an accent different than Delon's natural one. I love Ann-Margret, she's a bit of a basketcase in this movie, but she and Delon definitely make for a hot couple.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 24th, 2022, 7:16 pm
kingrat wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:40 pm Any Alain Delon films would be welcome.
Agreed!
I re-watched PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON) today.

A still of Delon from this scene is the wallpaper on my phone. It's so nice have this gorgeous face looking back at me when I turn on my phone. LOL.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

LostHorizons wrote: December 24th, 2022, 1:22 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:27 am On Tuesday, February 21, TCM’s daytime line-up is devoted to movies with Alain Delon!
ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (1960)
THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE (1964)
ONCE A THIEF (1965)
RED SUN (1971)
L'ECLISSE (1962)
PURPLE NOON (1961)

I’ve seen them all except for RED SUN.
Red Sun is on Tubi, I believe. Delon's role is very minor. The slot would have been better with either Le Samourai (1967), Red Circle (1970) or The Swimming Pool (1969).
The Swimming Pool was awesome. Who doesn't want to watch a movie about sexy people lying around the pool with a little bit of a thriller thrown in for good measure?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

speedracer5 wrote: December 28th, 2022, 6:58 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 24th, 2022, 7:16 pm
Agreed!
I re-watched PLEIN SOLEIL (PURPLE NOON) today.

A still of Delon from this scene is the wallpaper on my phone. It's so nice have this gorgeous face looking back at me when I turn on my phone. LOL.
The humanlike fish faces from that scene creep the hell out of me every time I watch it. They look like actual people screaming out in terror. It’s really uncanny to see faces like those on fish.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LostHorizons wrote: December 27th, 2022, 9:18 pm

Well American actors are used for the supporting parts which are American roles. It was probably out of necessity that the main roles all went to French actors. Bill Kearns is the only actual American in a major role and it is immediately apparent he is phonetically speaking all of his lines. Even with my subpar French skills I could hear a mile away he was struggling to pronounce everything. An entire movie of Americans speaking like that would be grating to native French speakers.
The first time I saw PLEIN SOLEIL I didn't know the actor playing Freddie Miles was American. I thought he was a French actor speaking French in an American accent to emphasize that the character was American.

The movie was definitely made with Europeans as the intended audience. As an American, I suspend disbelief to accept that Philippe Greenleaf (Dickie in the source novel) and Tom Ripley (as well as Freddie and Tom) don't speak English when they are alone. I also suspend disbelief when Tom writes Philippe's "suicide" note sent to Mr. Greenleaf in San Francisco in French.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

kingrat wrote: December 24th, 2022, 12:40 pm Any Alain Delon films would be welcome. I haven't seen Borsalino or The Sicilian Clan since they first came out. TCM did show Alain Cavalier's L'Insoumis, with Lea Massari, which I would like to see again. La veuve Couderc is another good one. With all the Melville films he has made, TCM probably has access to enough films that he could be Star of the Month, especially since the two Visconti films are so long.
It would be nice if they could schedule the original dub of “Big Guns.” Delon did his own voice in the English dub but still the whole thing is Shaw Brothers tier.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:01 pm

The first time I saw PLEIN SOLEIL I didn't know the actor playing Freddie Miles was American. I thought he was a French actor speaking French in an American accent to emphasize that the character was American.
Bill Kearns/ Freddy Miles is very typically American in his weight and appearance. Delon is much too handsome and not pudgy enough. ;)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:01 pm

The movie was definitely made with Europeans as the intended audience. As an American, I suspend disbelief to accept that Philippe Greenleaf (Dickie in the source novel) and Tom Ripley (as well as Freddie and Tom) don't speak English when they are alone. I also suspend disbelief when Tom writes Philippe's "suicide" note sent to Mr. Greenleaf in San Francisco in French.
It would have been more impressive if the director had the French actors including Delon all speaking English with believable accents like Adolfo Celi did as the Scottish general in King of Hearts.

After first watching it was impressive to me that not only was this character played by a non-Scot but by an ESL since all his dialogue is in English with a heavy Scottish accent.