Preston Sturges

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Preston Sturges

Post by Swithin »

From January 20 through February 2, 2023, the FIlm Forum in New York City will be presenting a series celebrating the work of Preston Sturges. The series is presented with support of The Robert Jolin Osborne Fund for American Classic Cinemas of the 1930s, '40s, and '50s.

The Sturges classics that we've all seen are part of the series, but there are rarities, as well as films that inspired Sturges, like The Freshman. and Beggars of Life.

https://filmforum.org/do-not-enter-or-m ... yer_v6.pdf

Sullivan's Travels
TikiSoo

Re: Preston Sturges

Post by TikiSoo »

I have always been puzzled by most Sturges movies-they are likable but always leave me feeling like I missed something. I can be pretty dense, so have given most of his movies second viewings.

Our Film group screened THE GREAT MCGINTY '40 and I loved it, I think most of his films benefit from seen with others, it's fun hearing audience reactions. Made me a Brian Donlevy fan.

We just screened MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK and while I still didn't like it much, spastic Betty Hutton kept my attention and the audience reacted to the name Trudy Kockenlocker every time it was said.

I reckon few would react that way viewing at home and think one of the keys to enjoying a Sturges movie is just enjoying it as silly entertainment, not a dramatic or realistic plot.

If I could attend, I sure would.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

TikiSoo wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:04 am I have always been puzzled by most Sturges movies-they are likable but always leave me feeling like I missed something. I can be pretty dense, so have given most of his movies second viewings.

Our Film group screened THE GREAT MCGINTY '40 and I loved it, I think most of his films benefit from seen with others, it's fun hearing audience reactions. Made me a Brian Donlevy fan.

We just screened MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK and while I still didn't like it much, spastic Betty Hutton kept my attention and the audience reacted to the name Trudy Kockenlocker every time it was said.

I reckon few would react that way viewing at home and think one of the keys to enjoying a Sturges movie is just enjoying it as silly entertainment, not a dramatic or realistic plot.

If I could attend, I sure would.
I agree with you, though it's certainly not about denseness on either of our parts. Apart from The Lady Eve, I haven't really connected with his best-known films. I may pop down to the Film Forum to see a few on the big screen, with an audience. Also, I like to support the Film Forum. Last time I was there was in 2019, to see The Maze and Kings Row, a double bill which was part of a series programmed by Martin Scorsese and Jay Cocks.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:44 am . . . Also, I like to support the Film Forum. Last time I was there was in 2019, to see The Maze and Kings Row, a double bill which was part of a series programmed by Martin Scorsese and Jay Cocks.
What a wild double bill! Did the FF programmers explain what the connection between the two movies was?
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:26 pm
Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:44 am . . . Also, I like to support the Film Forum. Last time I was there was in 2019, to see The Maze and Kings Row, a double bill which was part of a series programmed by Martin Scorsese and Jay Cocks.
What a wild double bill! Did the FF programmers explain what the connection between the two movies was?
The series consisted of favorites of the two gentlemen I mentioned. That particular double bill focused on William Cameron Menzies, who designed Kings Row (1942) and directed The Maze (1953). The latter film was shown as it was meant to be shown: in glorious 3D. I've had few evenings in the theater which thrilled me as much as the climax of The Maze. Nothing beats a frog jumping out into the audience! (The gif doesn't do it justice, the thing came flying out over the seats, in 3D!)

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:34 pm . . . Nothing beats a frog jumping out into the audience! . . .
Ummmm. Ever seen Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (AKA Flesh for Frankenstein) in 3D?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:36 pm
Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 6:34 pm . . . Nothing beats a frog jumping out into the audience! . . .
Ummmm. Ever seen Andy Warhol's Frankenstein (AKA Flesh for Frankenstein) in 3D?
No, but they sound promising, I'll look for them.

The thing about The Maze -- which is an absolutely mad film -- is that you're set up for a horrible monster to appear. You hear it slithering around the castle at night, but never see it -- until the end. And then the poor dear is so mortified, because he scared the ladies, that he jumps out of the window in embarrassment! So it's not just that he's a frog jumping out at us (at the Film Forum), it's that we're prepared for something terrible! And the explanation which follows, is a hoot, and relates to the film's references to "teratology" and "phylogeny repeats ontology," or something like that. Evidently the lord of the manor was born 200 years ago, but took an odd turn at the tadpole stage, developing into a frog. There are so many bizarre twists in this film, and the crazy ending has been written about extensively.
Last edited by Swithin on January 12th, 2023, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

So back to Preston Sturges.

This is one of my favorite scenes from The Lady Eve (1941). Eric Blore, Henry Fonda:

"Shhh! Do you want to bring the walls tumbling down about our ears? Silence to the grave, and even beyond!"

Another favorite scene: Eugene Pallette wants his breakfast:

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:13 pm No, but they sound promising, I'll look for them.
Andy Warhol's Frankenstein and Flesh for Frankenstein (the alternate title) are the same movie. If you don't like gore and sick humor, it might not be for you.
Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:13 pm
The thing about The Maze -- which is an absolutely mad film -- is that you're set up for a horrible monster to appear.
The Maze is in my movie library. It get razzed because of its outlandish plot, but I dig it. Indeed, I find the story of ill-fated "Sir Roger MacTeam" immensely tragic and quite moving. The eerie tone of the story and gloomy and minacious cinematography, for me, make The Maze a laudable example of atmospheric horror.

"The film is based on the 1945 book of the same name by Maurice Sandoz, which was illustrated by the surrealist Salvador Dali." -- the Internet Movie Database.

I'd love to see and read that book!

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:59 am
Andy Warhol's Frankenstein and Flesh for Frankenstein (the alternate title) are the same movie. If you don't like gore and sick humor, it might not be for you.
Who doesn't like gore and sick humour?

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

skimpole wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:53 am Does Silver Screen Oasis have a completely different way of posting images than the old TCM forums?
Yes. When you're ready to post a photo, first click on the photo symbol above. It's the 9th symbol from the left. Just click on it, Then your cursor will appear between two of these: [/img]. Then click on your photo link.(EP will be better at describing this than I am.)

The symbol looks something like this:

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Cuthbert wrote: January 12th, 2023, 11:21 pm Another favorite scene: Eugene Pallette wants his breakfast:
LOL!

As for books-I have tried several times to read MADCAP the LIFE OF PRESTON STURGES in attempt to understand his POV as a filmmaker.

But author Spoto just meanders over so much back story, it's just a bore to slog through.
I realize he's trying to set the stage explaining Sturges early life, how he was brought up, etc. But it ends up as far too much padding and loses a linear narrative. Hopefully, I can pick it up and find some kind of flow & finish it.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Spoto is quite a character. He was a professor of mine. Two fascinating courses: one on Hitchcock, one on horror films. I forgot which one I took, I think the horror film one, in which he also referred to Hitchcock.