MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wasn't David Janssen rumored to be the love child of Clark Gable?

Speaking of Troy Donahue (who many of you might remember I've always called Fishface), check him out in MY BLOOD RUNS COLD. Troy, however, is eclipsed (that was a bore too) by the great Jeanette Nolan who for once onscreen is allowed to look glamorous in chi-chi fashions, including outrageous hats.

Everyone, I know I'm a broken record, but please do not miss THE FRESHMAN this evening.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 2:34 pm Wasn't David Janssen rumored to be the love child of Clark Gable?

Speaking of Troy Donahue (who many of you might remember I've always called Fishface), check him out in MY BLOOD RUNS COLD. Troy, however, is eclipsed (that was a bore too) by the great Jeanette Nolan who for once onscreen is allowed to look glamorous in chi-chi fashions, including outrageous hats.

Everyone, I know I'm a broken record, but please do not miss THE FRESHMAN this evening.

I hadn't heard that! But I seem to remember Janssen had big ears. Thanks for the heads up on The Freshman. It's on too late for me, but I'll record it. Very funny movie.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Judy Lewis also had big ears. Supposedly Loretta Young put hats on the poor kid during impromtu photo shoots to hide them and, according to some, had her undergo surgery to reduce their size. Wonder why Young even bothered, since Gable apparently never acknowledged Judy was his daughter.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 2:58 pm Judy Lewis also had big ears. Supposedly Loretta Young put hats on the poor kid during impromtu photo shoots to hide them and, according to some, had her undergo surgery to reduce their size. Wonder why Young even bothered, since Gable apparently never acknowledged Judy was his daughter.
Yes, she did have ear surgery when she was young (Judy). Why bother? She looked so much like Gable, nothing could disguise that.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 2:34 pm
Speaking of Troy Donahue (who many of you might remember I've always called Fishface)
Oh, Bronxgirl, you're wrong for that.

I didn't want to laugh, but I did . . .
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 2:58 pm Judy Lewis also had big ears. Supposedly Loretta Young put hats on the poor kid during impromtu photo shoots to hide them and, according to some, had her undergo surgery to reduce their size. Wonder why Young even bothered, since Gable apparently never acknowledged Judy was his daughter.
As Hibi just mentioned, I'm pretty sure those rumors about Janssen possibily being Gable's illigitimate son pretty much stemmed from the whole ears thing. I doubt there was any truth to it, though. I remember back in the '70s and when there was talk of doing a movie about Gable and Lombard (James Brolin would eventually be cast as Gable in it) and many people thought Janssen would've been a better choice. It was not a very good film, but I do remember Brolin wasn't all that bad in it.

And re Judy Lewis, although I didn't read her book, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that while Gable never publicly acknowledged her being his daughter (and most likely because Loretta Young wouldn't have liked it) he did visit her occasionally and so acknowledged it privately, anyway.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

One more note about David Janssen here...

He could, unfortunately, be tallied into the same column as actors like Errol Flynn and William Holden.

(...in that "Their alcohol problem would contribute to their quick ageing and their premature deaths" column, that is)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:05 pm
Speaking of Troy Donahue (who many of you might remember I've always called Fishface)

Interestingly I've always thought The Creature from the Black Lagoon was sexier than Troy Donahue, even though there is a piscine resemblance.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am nauseous right now.

Not sure if it's Professor Suber's The Power of Film that's making me feel this way or watching Andrew Zimmern gobble down fried crickets on The Food Channel.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:43 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:56 pm
Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:26 am

Sorry to say, I missed both! Keep hoping TCM will show SCORCHY someday!! an AIP exploitation flick Connie did in the 70s playing a no holds barred (and bared!) policewoman!

Wow, I never even heard of that one, much less starring Connie Stevens.

Connie Stevens was one of the teachers in GREASE 2.

She was on hand for the infamous "Reproduction" number featuring Tab Hunter as the sex education teacher.

How could anyone not love this?
Just sayin' . . .

My favorite song in the movie, followed by Cool Rider.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:35 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:56 pm
Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:26 am

Sorry to say, I missed both! Keep hoping TCM will show SCORCHY someday!! an AIP exploitation flick Connie did in the 70s playing a no holds barred (and bared!) policewoman!

Wow, I never even heard of that one, much less starring Connie Stevens.
Yeah, it played out quickly. Mostly drive in bookings. Go to imdb and read some of the reviews. Bound to get you chuckling!

lol, I see it got a 4.7 rating there.

A film after my own heart! You know how I love the stinkers.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:16 pm
As Hibi just mentioned, I'm pretty sure those rumors about Janssen possibily being Gable's illigitimate son pretty much stemmed from the whole ears thing. I doubt there was any truth to it, though. I remember back in the '70s and when there was talk of doing a movie about Gable and Lombard (James Brolin would eventually be cast as Gable in it) and many people thought Janssen would've been a better choice. It was not a very good film, but I do remember Brolin wasn't all that bad in it.

And re Judy Lewis, although I didn't read her book, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that while Gable never publicly acknowledged her being his daughter (and most likely because Loretta Young wouldn't have liked it) he did visit her occasionally and so acknowledged it privately, anyway.
He did meet Judy once at her home during the filming of Key to the City (Judy at the time didn't know he was her father and wouldn't find out until after his death). I'm sure he probably would've liked to have been able to know her better, but Loretta wouldn't have allowed that. I think Judy would've been better off adopted by someone else rather than her real mother (who pretended not to be).

I did read her book. It wasn't that much of a shocker as most people in Hollywood knew the secret already. Loretta denied it all, of course. It didn't portray Loretta in a good light, but it wasn't anything near Mommy Dearest territory. Loretta's hubby came off a lot worse.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dargo wrote: April 8th, 2024, 3:43 pm Ya know, I never thought Connie Stevens was all that hot.

(...but I gotta admit she was lookin' pretty darn good in that clip up there, anyway)
Connie Stevens was very attractive in the 80s, based on her appearances on Murder, She Wrote at the time and her supporting role in the goofy yet charming 1987 film Back to the Beach in which Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello cheerfully spoofed their own 60s films.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Connie was cute as Cricket in HAWAIIAN EYE. That was before her nose job.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:34 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:05 pm

Interestingly I've always thought The Creature from the Black Lagoon was sexier than Troy Donahue, even though there is a piscine resemblance.
Ya know Bronxie, because I thought you were more into the blond guys, I find this take of yours on Donahue's looks a bit perplexing.

(...I mean, sure, the guy was a stiff and couldn't act very well and thus perhaps adding to a sense of "un-sexiness" I suppose, but still I'd think he would've been considered by many back in his younger days as being a good looking guy in a "Pretty Boy" sort'a way)