I'm Very Thankful That It's a Week and a Half Into the WB100 Month...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
monsieur_sniffles

I'm Very Thankful That It's a Week and a Half Into the WB100 Month...

Post by monsieur_sniffles »

And thus far, I haven't seen the thing with Eddie VON Muller (I think that was his name, the waxed mustache man) explaining the career of Humphrey Bogart with inserts of paper dolls, and extended explications of the plot machinations of "All Through the Night"--as if this milestone of post-modern cinema needed to be deconstructed so that us unwaxed rabble could appositely 'get it'--not even once.

That thing is a perpetual douche-chill generator, and I was convinced that during "WB Month" we would be tortured with it between each and every movie. Thankfully, someone came to their senses. And while the month is far from over, it's seemingly complete absence during these first eight days serves as a very, very good sign.

Keep up the good work,
-ms
monsieur_sniffles

Re: I'm Very Thankful That It's a Week and a Half Into the WB100 Month...

The dream just ended...
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I do get tired of seeing that filler. And I think somebody needs to tell that guy to SNAP the brim of that Fedora already. :roll:

Sepiatone
monsieur_sniffles

Twice today already...
AND it's like 20 minutes long!

I'm convinced Eddie Regular Muller's contract was up and was playing a little hardball with the renewal. TCM said "Oh yeah? We don't need you. We got Eddie VON Muller, and he's MUCH cheaper"

EDIT: Okay, they must have started running it because they're playing "All Through the Night"...

next tuesday...

I don't know if I'll make it
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Sepiatone wrote: April 12th, 2023, 12:29 pm I do get tired of seeing that filler. And I think somebody needs to tell that guy to SNAP the brim of that Fedora already. :roll:

Sepiatone
Do you get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of Ben-Hur panned and scanned?
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I really don't see how thinking a Fedora's brim being straight and flat looks dorky has any relation to Ben-Hur being panned and scanned. Or how that even relates to the Eddie Von Meuller(sic) filler.

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Sepiatone wrote: April 13th, 2023, 10:48 am I really don't see how thinking a Fedora's brim being straight and flat looks dorky has any relation to Ben-Hur being panned and scanned. Or how that even relates to the Eddie Von Meuller(sic) filler.

Sepiatone
My guess on what Fedya's joke was about relates to this line in the top-post: That thing is a perpetual douche-chill generator,,,,etc.,.

If that Mueller take really invokes such a reaction, what type of reaction would pan and scan, (or many other type of examples), invoke?

Of course, I assume the OP is being over-the-top on purpose and thus the reply. Common chat-room banter.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Well, to address Fedya's query;

As the first and next few times I saw BEN-HUR was on pre cable and the yet not introduced "letterbox" method, and so thus "panned and scanned", it wouldn't bother me much at all.

I can remember when all movies shot in cinemascope shown on TV were panned and scanned but when the end credits came on the aspect was so compressed any people in the closing footage resembled an El Greco painting.

Sepiatone
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Longtime viewers of TCM know that many years ago TCM would show a short explaining why they were using letterbox for widescreen movies (back in the days when most people were using a TV screen with a 4x3 aspect ratio to watch TCM.) If you are sick of the Eddy Von Mueller short you might also have been annoyed with the repetition of the letterbox short.

The infamous quote is at 1:37
monsieur_sniffles

It's not Ben Hur... It's a home movie...

At least the letterbox thing actually explains something, even though they continued to play it LONG after the concept of letterboxing needed to be explained to anyone. One the other hand, Eddie Von Muller explains the plots of All Through the Night, Black Legion, and Across the Pacific. None of which EVER needed to be explained to ANYBODY.