Spam

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Lomm
Administrator

Re: Spam

Post by Lomm »

The board should now be fully encrypted with SSL. This will do little to affect spammers, but does add a layer of security. I had turned it off a while back due to some issues with the site (which ended up having nothing to do with that) and never bothered to re-enable it. I figured this was as good a place as any to mention it.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I just renewed my CA ID and needed to receive a code by text or telephone call.
My rewards account with Microsoft is the same thing, either text or telephone message.
Whatever you choose will require the technology to handle it.
I feel a code with a time limit, regardless of how it is received, is a good idea.
Not trying to be bossy, just helpful.
laffite

Post by laffite »

What is captcha?

I don't see any spam. Or am I not recognizing it?

Puzzlement!
Mona
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

This morning there was a ton of spam and it's been going on for days. It took up almost all of the page. You should be happy you didnt see it, so horribly annoying. Never click on it.
Thank you Lomm for getting rid of it.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

laffite wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:48 pm What is captcha?

Puzzlement!
Captcha is what they call the code you have to enter when you register on many websites. It's usually images that form words or letters, or sometimes it tells you to pick the squares with a specific item in the picture (like bridges, or traffic lights). It's supposed to "prove" you are a human.

The spam, as noted, was all deleted! :)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Lomm wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:09 pm
laffite wrote: April 17th, 2023, 7:48 pm What is captcha?

Puzzlement!
Captcha is what they call the code you have to enter when you register on many websites. It's usually images that form words or letters, or sometimes it tells you to pick the squares with a specific item in the picture (like bridges, or traffic lights). It's supposed to "prove" you are a human.

The spam, as noted, was all deleted! :)
I have been of late off-board and I don't click on everything, so I guess I was spared. Thanks Lomm for your continued thoughtful and excellent work here.
Mona
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

It's supposed to "prove" you are a human.
Does that mean we are all human? Everyone who posts here?
Masha

Post by Masha »

jimimac71 wrote: April 17th, 2023, 1:49 pm
If a person can't use a phone, they may not have an ability to navigate this forum. I could be wrong there too.
I know this is totally against the rules, but I'm hijacking Masha's account for this. Will explain at the bottom.

It's not about the tech. For a lot of people with PTSD (particularly combat veterans, but it can happen to anyone), having a conversation with a disembodied voice isn't a good thing. Also, there's the compulsion to be understood but not being able to tell, by body language, whether the other person is getting what they're saying. Also, also, for some, the compulsion to not be misunderstood is so great, they can carry on a conversation only if the other person is patient enough to wait a long time because framing a reply is akin to plotting out the next twelve moves in a chess game.

At this point, some people say: "why don't they get a phone only for text?" Simple answer: it never ends well. Besides the expense for something they'll rarely use, once they enter a number online, it goes into a database and is forever associated with their name. These databases get shared, and soon everyone from government agencies to Etsy shops think they can call. Some get very irate if their voicemail messages aren't returned. "You didn't return my call, so I'm not going to read your e-mail" is (for reasons I'll never understand) a quite common attitude.

Microsoft, Google, and most states know they have to provide an alternative which accommodates the disabled who can't use telephones. They don't like it, and they'll hide it if they can, but the ADA and Federal and state anti-discrimination laws say they have to.

Sorry to carry on about something most people don't give a rodent's derrière about, but the majority of those I served with have issues of one kind or another relating to their experiences, so I know too well how the disabled are misunderstood.

Now: about the hijacking. I'm the love of Masha's life, her hubby/snugglebunny/accomplice/guinea pig/target/victim. I used to post on TCM as Capuchin.

I know she wanted to reply, but she's a two-finger typist at the moment -- a collusion of a medical procedure on her wrist which may take months to heal and breaking her thumb and two fingers on her other hand in an incident which she refuses to reveal anything about (and believe me, I've tried to pry it out of her!). Rather than leaving the matter unexplained, I decided to jump in as locum tenens.

Apologies for breaking the rule about sharing an account. I don't foresee it happening again any time soon. And if you get really, really technical, there's the whole "two become one" thing about marriage . . .

Cheers!
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:30 pm
It's supposed to "prove" you are a human.
Does that mean we are all human? Everyone who posts here?
Well, not YOU. :lol: Yes, I hope we are all in fact human.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Capuchin … You did hear me when I said, “I could be wrong there too?”
I sometimes use my computer and type slowly with all of my fingers. Dyslexia slows me down to a crawl. I mostly use a tablet. Hurts my left arm as it is heavy. Got to let it hover under my nose because my eyesight is sloppy. I type with one finger and it is faster than with my computer.
Got to love predictive text.
I’ve always been fond of Masha going back to TCM’s forum. Just now I can’t remember her former ID. Getting old, don’t you know. I remember her avatar and never figured it out.
This is not a commercial for Apple, but they have been disability friendly for years.
I have not enabled dictation, but know people who have.
Some blind people abandon their Windows machines because VoiceOver for Mac is easier.
Android products have dictation abilities, I don’t have the patience to get started.
Lomm will not enable text verification. That should be enough as the final word.
I’ve been typing this for over 30 minutes as M*A*S*H has started and ended.
Not complaining. It’s just the way it is.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:37 pm
jimimac71 wrote: April 17th, 2023, 1:49 pm
If a person can't use a phone, they may not have an ability to navigate this forum. I could be wrong there too.
I know this is totally against the rules, but I'm hijacking Masha's account for this. Will explain at the bottom.

It's not about the tech. For a lot of people with PTSD (particularly combat veterans, but it can happen to anyone), having a conversation with a disembodied voice isn't a good thing. Also, there's the compulsion to be understood but not being able to tell, by body language, whether the other person is getting what they're saying. Also, also, for some, the compulsion to not be misunderstood is so great, they can carry on a conversation only if the other person is patient enough to wait a long time because framing a reply is akin to plotting out the next twelve moves in a chess game.

At this point, some people say: "why don't they get a phone only for text?" Simple answer: it never ends well. Besides the expense for something they'll rarely use, once they enter a number online, it goes into a database and is forever associated with their name. These databases get shared, and soon everyone from government agencies to Etsy shops think they can call. Some get very irate if their voicemail messages aren't returned. "You didn't return my call, so I'm not going to read your e-mail" is (for reasons I'll never understand) a quite common attitude.

Microsoft, Google, and most states know they have to provide an alternative which accommodates the disabled who can't use telephones. They don't like it, and they'll hide it if they can, but the ADA and Federal and state anti-discrimination laws say they have to.

Sorry to carry on about something most people don't give a rodent's derrière about, but the majority of those I served with have issues of one kind or another relating to their experiences, so I know too well how the disabled are misunderstood.

Now: about the hijacking. I'm the love of Masha's life, her hubby/snugglebunny/accomplice/guinea pig/target/victim. I used to post on TCM as Capuchin.

I know she wanted to reply, but she's a two-finger typist at the moment -- a collusion of a medical procedure on her wrist which may take months to heal and breaking her thumb and two fingers on her other hand in an incident which she refuses to reveal anything about (and believe me, I've tried to pry it out of her!). Rather than leaving the matter unexplained, I decided to jump in as locum tenens.

Apologies for breaking the rule about sharing an account. I don't foresee it happening again any time soon. And if you get really, really technical, there's the whole "two become one" thing about marriage . . .

Cheers!

I don't have PTSD or the like but I have tendency to over explain from time to time. Usually when I have something juicy to relate and I want to dramatize. Maybe I'm not all that bad since I can only think three moves ahead in chess, if that. I see your remark as a cautionary imperative (lest one becomes insufferably boring).

If "not anytime soon" then a pity. Admin here may not be as liberal as ole TCM with with account sharing but your appearances as "locum tenens" at TCM land were always keen and enjoyable.

And certainly wishing a complete recovery for Masha.

Thanks.
Last edited by laffite on April 18th, 2023, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mona
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Dog Gone, I thought this was a thread with Spam recipes. Or mustard suggestions. I do believe Wonder bread is the best option if you are going to make a fried Spam sandwich. But don’t toast it. Wonder bread is not meant to be toasted unless eggs are involved and the yolks are runny.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Spam is for those who live Low on the Hog and therefore not qualified for recipes. Thank you for the tips on Wonder Bread. I especially enjoyed the runny part. And only toasted for a special purpose. Who knew? We have a local bakery who makes the best bread in the world. It's called Charlie's Bread and it has "Best Bread" on the label. They are not just whistling Dixie during Mardi Gras. It's without doubt the most delicious bread I have ever tasted. When you pick it off the shelf, it is heavy as all get out. When you squeeze it is firm as all get out. The bread is so substantial with goodness that it takes two cycles on high position to get it toasted. It is not sold everywhere is a local product only, as far as I know. I get the Sour Dough but it doesn't kill you with a sometime extravagant sour dough taste as some breads do. Like regular instead, and not particularly sour. This bread is so good that to make a spam sandwich out of it would be one of Seven Outrages of the World. Any person who does this should be sanctioned. Toasting it does well pretty with eggs but I'm not sure about the runny part. I think you need a bowl for that.
Mona
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jimimac71 wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:36 pm Capuchin … You did hear me when I said, “I could be wrong there too?”
I sometimes use my computer and type slowly with all of my fingers. Dyslexia slows me down to a crawl. I mostly use a tablet. Hurts my left arm as it is heavy. Got to let it hover under my nose because my eyesight is sloppy. I type with one finger and it is faster than with my computer.
Got to love predictive text.
I’ve always been fond of Masha going back to TCM’s forum. Just now I can’t remember her former ID. Getting old, don’t you know. I remember her avatar and never figured it out.
This is not a commercial for Apple, but they have been disability friendly for years.
I have not enabled dictation, but know people who have.
Some blind people abandon their Windows machines because VoiceOver for Mac is easier.
Android products have dictation abilities, I don’t have the patience to get started.
Lomm will not enable text verification. That should be enough as the final word.
I’ve been typing this for over 30 minutes as M*A*S*H has started and ended.
Not complaining. It’s just the way it is.
Wait!! Is Masha that really cool woman I used to know as SansFin ?
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Hi Capuchin! I miss your posts! I hope Masha's hands heal soon!
KayFrancis wrote: April 17th, 2023, 8:00 pm You should be happy you didnt see it, so horribly annoying. Never click on it.
Yes! And please, don't respond to any of it-even if you think you're posting a funny retort.

It forces moderators to delete your response to get rid of the thread in it's entirety.
And I for one, have felt guilty deleting perfectly fine posts by real SSO members just to get rid of the spam thread.