Comedy Central

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Comedy Central

Post by mrsl »

Do any of you watch 'Lil Bush' on Comedy Central? As much as I detest that man, I had to tune in once or twice. It can be really rank at times, and other times you have to listen between the lines. Sometimes they get a little too hard on old Dad and Mom. I wasn't crazy about them, but at least Dad knew a little about government. Someone should give bushy-baby a crash course in the three arms of the government - judicial, executive, and congress. At this point in time, he seems to be getting his different responsibilities confused. I pray nightly that the United States makes it through his last months as president - he could get us blown up at any time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We made it through two world wars, a civil war, several political assassinations, a full blown depression, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter and Sept. 11 among other things. I think we can make it until Jan 2009.

That's the great thing about this country, we thrive inspite of our government. Even at that is still pretty much beats all the others.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ Well, that certainly used to be the case...but when we are having serious debates about whether or not it is okay to torture people, I think our standards and expectations of our government have reached a new low.

Ditto a government who has actively tried to squelch any and all descent by making it clear on numerous occasions that their position is that if you are not 'with em' you are 'again' 'em'...and at the very least unpatriotic. And possibly a terrorist sympathizer.

Further, a population that would seriously entertain the notion of such preposterous behavior as has occurred in the past 6 years is hardly in a position to make sound moral judgments any longer. ;)

Therefore, I really question whether we are in the position any longer of being able to judge whether or not our government 'pretty much beats all the others'. Unless we are talking strictly about military might. In which case, yeah...we beat all the others.

But when it comes to the integrity of our leaders; the suggestion that our governmental leaders really represent the PEOPLE (as opposed to being the whores of sundry big business contributors); the suggestion that we should expect the same level of justice (and mercy) for the poor as for the wealthy; the responsibility of our government to be world LEADERS, not by military might but by good example in the areas of human rights and civil liberties; the willingness of our leaders to work in coordination with other world leaders on global issues - not as a 'me first' bully figure, but as a standard-bearer concerned about the greater good of all mankind; or even the soundness and integrity of the electoral process itself (hint: putting Florida State Trooper roadbocks up around African-American precincts in North Florida? - NOT an honest way of conducting an election...and yet it was allowed to pass BY THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY)...well, I'm not at all certain anymore.

That said, I do not watch Lil Bush.

I give sole credit for getting me through the last 6 years to one person and one person alone: Jon Stewart.

If it wasn't for him, I would be weeping for our country almost daily. At least Jon makes me laugh.

In short, Jon Stewart is my hero. To me, Jon is not just some funny guy on TV. He is quite frankly my lifeline - one of the few people I come across on a daily basis (given that I live in the South, where they STILL support this monster we have in office...and they opening persecute anyone who does not support him) who makes me feel like I am not alone - that SOMEONE out there sees how utterly WRONG all of this is.

Not only has Jon Stewart KEPT me sane for 6 years. He has made me feel like I WAS sane - that it wasn't just me, all alone down here in Georgia, out of step with the rest of the world...and any sort of moral compass.

Lil Bush might be good for a laugh...but laughing is only part of the reason I tune in to The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. And I don't think any other show can deliver the full package - deliver what I get from them.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm with you all the way pktrekgirl, in everything you said. It's because of Stewart and Colbert that I first noticed Lil Bush. I'm not saying I like the show, I hope nobody got that impression. I was just looking for comments on it and whether or not I was being too critical or prim and proper.

What got me started again was this latest bit about the President singly having the authority to decide what is appropriate for the American public to know or read. This from the man who approved illegal taps on telephones, A CIA leak as to the true name of an agents wife, and so many other things. Yes, it's a great country, but it would be a lot better if it followed some neighbors and had a federally funded medical program, protected its' seniors, fed its' poorer children, and made sure each child had an equal education, and on, and on, and on. 'Leave no child behind' - what a crock that was. When the national guard troops return and start helping out in Louisiana, and Mississippi, California and Texas, then maybe I'll be able to change my tune a little.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

What did the President do that you think gives him the authority to know what the public can know or read? If you are referring to his invoking Executive Privilege he is hardly the first president ot pull that one out. Every opinion I've read says he'll win that fight too.

Valerie Plame was no covert agent. No one was charged with releasing her name and when the press found out Karl Rove didn't do it they really didn't care anymore. Libby was found guilty for other things.

Federally funded medical programs means bigger government. That doesn't seem like a good idea. Kids already get free breakfasts and lunches in school and aid is available. It's not like nothing is getting done.

If your National Guard comment refers to schools and their access they hardly fit the bill. When that child in KY can't go to a school that is close to his home, and is shipped ten miles down the road because he's white, I don't think we'll need the Guard to get him to his new school. It did, however, take the Supreme Court to let him go where he wanted.

Right now Bush sucks, Congress sucks. They all do. The best thing would be if they both took an 18 month vacation.

Pktrekgirl:

Where is Bush a terrorist sympathizer? I thought this whole war was about fighting it.

As far as the greater good of all mankind, I think we are still the biggest giver of foreign aid in the world. We still, for some stupid reason, are part of and pay dues to the United Nations.

I know we are not perfect, not by a long shot. Stupid things go on every day. Political correctness drives common sense out of many things. There are plenty of things to fix. Some of this took 200 years to mess up. It'll take a while to fix some. But talk to the Chinese and the people of Africa and the Albanians and Southeast Asia and Saudia Arabia and and Iran and see how they like their civil liberties. Oh, I forgot they hardly have any.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

In defense of pktrekgirl, Bush has intimated a softness on terror when objections have been made regarding his continual requests for more and more 'war' defense. Instead of admitting he was wrong, and getting out of the middle East, he keeps piling fault upon fault. Just as telling a lie causes more and more lies to cover up each previous one.

As for executive privilege, yes other presidents have invoked it, but: This is a serious question to which I have no answer and would like one - has a past president invoked exec. priv. to prevent a private citizen from testifying on behalf of his/her ex-co-workers (so to speak)?

Regarding aid, yes it is available however, it is still based on the rules and regulations formatted in the 1930's and has never been updated. A simple example is the fact that paper products cannot be purchased with food stamps - I agree as to plates, cups, etc. but it also includes toilet paper. In the 30's people did not regularly purchase T.P. They used what we laughingly refer to as the Sears catalog, but it was true. TP is a staple of all homes now, and when suddenly you cannot buy it, it is a great loss - do you realize that 4 regular sized rolls costs over $2.00? Oh I realize you can get it cheaper at some dollar stores, but if you're on food stamps, you can't go traveling all over to different stores to find the best bargains, especially if you don't have a car, let alone the cost of gas to get back and forth.

About the national guard - I have stated before, it is the National Guard, not the Inter-national guard. No I don't expect them to guard kids going to school, I meant the national guard should have been here all along to help with the Katrina mess, the California mud slides, the tornadoes in Texas, instead they're halfway across the world helping to rebuild foreign cities rather than their own, if they're not actually helping to rebuild, they are guarding the people who are doing the building.

Finally, the CIA is supposed to be totally secretive, including its' secretaries, wives, and file clerks. You said it yourself - nobody was charged with releasing her name -- Why? Besides that, it is my choice to say where I work or my husband, not anyone elses. Names should not be bandied about with no permission

Movieman: my main point is really to get people interested in what is going on in their world. We need more informed voters. There is a lot wrong with our present government, and we need to know what is important more than whether a man is religious, faithful, or dyes his hair.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

mrsl wrote: Movieman: my main point is really to get people interested in what is going on in their world. We need more informed voters. There is a lot wrong with our present government, and we need to know what is important more than whether a man is religious, faithful, or dyes his hair.

Anne
Anne:

On this point I whole heartedly agree. The biggest threat to our future is an uninformed voting public.

Respectfully yours (as always)
Chris