Harold and Maude

Discussion of programming on TCM.
traceyk

Harold and Maude

Post by traceyk »

I had heard about this movie for years and had never seen it. Watched it the other day and loved it. Maude is my hero! I'm npot sure about her checking out at 80--I really did not understand that part--she was having such a good time. Guess she wanted to die while she was still healthy and all? That kid was a little creepy though...
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I am not a fan of this film, but have seen it several times, so I will attempt to answer your question.

Maude is a person that lives life to the fullest. In one scene we see a Nazi prison camp tattoo on her arm and we realize she has been through one of the most difficult times in our worlds history where millions were exterminated like rats and had no control or dignity over the way they died.

Maude teaches Harold that life is precious, but it's in comparison with death that we have full realization of what life is and it's true value. Maude choosing to die at 80 is the embrace of the unknown. Harold's embrace of the unknown is the life he has yet to live.

Hopefully, that might explain a bit of it. There are others here who are big fans that I'm sure could help you out.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

OK. I missed the scene with the concentration camp tattoo. That helps explain it , I guess.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde