Hope and Glory (1987)

wmcclain

Hope and Glory (1987)

Post by wmcclain »

Hope and Glory (1987), written, produced and directed by John Boorman.

Fine, semi-comic yet moving presentation of the first year of WW2 as seen by a ten year old boy, based on the director's life. Young actor Sebastian Rice-Edwards is just superb, but never made another movie. [Later: until the sequel Queen & Country (2014)]. Five Oscar nominations, many other awards.

The background is the serious march of world history: from the declaration of war and start of the Phoney War, to the beginning of the Blitz and through the end of the Battle of Britain. We have great period detail of suburban life and the Home Front, and a scene of the mass evacuation of children.

But for young Billy it's a pretty good time. School is often interrupted and he can run wild with the other kids in the bombed out buildings, committing new mass destruction of their own. He has the start of a good shrapnel collection. Dad builds an air-raid shelter in the backyard and puts the car up on blocks. The neighborhood gets its own barrage balloon. (Ever wonder that that was about? It was bad luck for low-flying bombers to run into the cables and sometimes they held explosives. Keeping the bombers higher made them easier to track with anti-aircraft fire).

He starts learning about sex in the old fashioned way, and his big sister, fifteen and growing up fast, is doing some advanced dating with a Canadian soldier. From overheard conversations he realizes his mother and father have some sad history from years long before he was born.

In some ways his mother doesn't mind the coming of the war either. When everyone is poor and shabby together there is no need to keep up appearances. The men have somber reflections on the cost of the war, the injustice of who pays for it, and the promises made to them and broken after the first war.

The final half hour is almost a different story. After their house burns down the family moves in with the grandparents in an idyllic country place on the river. Grandad is a grumpy eccentric who keeps a shotgun near the dinner table: "Never let a rat sneak up on you, Bill!" The kids are wild and free.

Great cast all around, with Sarah Miles as mom and Ian Bannen as the grandfather (I love that guy). Well photographed by Philippe Rousselot.

The DVD is 4:3 letterboxed. I've seen worse and better. Notice a 1980s pattern here: films that were new when DVD was young get the worst treatment. The PAL disc is more recent but I can't tell from the online sources whether it is anamorphic.

Later: the Olive Films Blu-ray is very good.

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Hibi

Re: Hope and Glory (1987)

Post by Hibi »

Love this film. Never saw the sequel. Did anyone see it? It flopped.
markfp

Post by markfp »

Here's one I remember well and always felt a personal connection to. During World War 2 my dad served in the American 8th Air Force and for much or the war was based in England.

He's long gone now, but I will always remember the time I went back home for a visit and it just happened to be the week that the movie was released.
Naturally I invited him to see it with me. He loved it and said it was really very accurate and the characters reminded him so much of the real people who he met and became friends with over there. Every time I see Hope and Glory, I can't help thinking of him.

Even putting aside the fact that he was father it was a great experience to see it with someone who lived through and experienced similar situations shown in the film.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

markfp wrote: April 30th, 2023, 11:21 pm Here's one I remember well and always felt a personal connection to. During World War 2 my dad served in the American 8th Air Force and for much or the war was based in England.

He's long gone now, but I will always remember the time I went back home for a visit and it just happened to be the week that the movie was released.
Naturally I invited him to see it with me. He loved it and said it was really very accurate and the characters reminded him so much of the real people who he met and became friends with over there. Every time I see Hope and Glory, I can't help thinking of him.

Even putting aside the fact that he was father it was a great experience to see it with someone who lived through and experienced similar situations shown in the film.
Great story here, Mark. Reminds me of the time I went with my WWII veteran father to see the then newly released 'Patton', and whose military service consisted of 3-plus years in Patton's 3rd Armored Division.

Can't believe the thought that when we watched it together, he would've been 50 y/o and 21 years younger than I am now. Man, time sure flies, doesn't it!

(...sorry for the sidetracking here)

And re 'Hope and Glory'...It's been quite a few years since I've watched this one, but I still remember loving everything about it. It's an excellent film.
markfp

Post by markfp »

Glad you liked it Dargo. What a small world. My father's brother served in the 3rd Armored Division as part of a tank crew during the war.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

My father had basic training in Fort Dix, New Jersey, after which he was sent down south. His first posting abroad was in Cardiff, Wales, a city he loved. From Cardiff, he went to fight in France and Germany. When I asked him the age-old question, "What did you do in the war, Daddy," the most he would say was: "I drove a tank." When he died in the 1990s, I got his uniform, his papers, his dog tags, and a lot of photographs from his time in the military, all of which I cherish.

My most vivid memory of a war story broke my heart as a lad of about eight years old. I was walking down East Tremont Avenue in the Bronx with my grandmother and her friend. It would have been the late 1950s. Suddenly, my grandmother's elderly friend turned to me and said: "When the war ended, your father came back. My son didn't come back." That old lady's sadness will stay with me always. It represents the tragedy of war to me.
markfp

Post by markfp »

What you say about how your dad didn't say much about being in the war was very common. My own father was a gunner on a B-24 Liberator bomber and while he would gladly tell stories about his adventures in England and the places he went and folks he met he'd never talk about his combat experiences.

It wasn't until many years later I went to England and had a chance to visit the 8th Air Force Museum that I discovered how his unit was involved in all of the major bombing missions over Germany. It must have been such a horrible ordeal that he just couldn't talk about it.

Today, of course, vets still go through that kind of thing only there's a name for it now.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

markfp wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 10:39 pm What you say about how your dad didn't say much about being in the war was very common. My own father was a gunner on a B-24 Liberator bomber and while he would gladly tell stories about his adventures in England and the places he went and folks he met he'd never talk about his combat experiences.

It wasn't until many years later I went to England and had a chance to visit the 8th Air Force Museum that I discovered how his unit was involved in all of the major bombing missions over Germany. It must have been such a horrible ordeal that he just couldn't talk about it.

Today, of course, vets still go through that kind of thing only there's a name for it now.
Yep, and even though as you said here, there wasn't a name for it at the time (at least one that began with the now familar word "Post-Traumatic") the very reason I always give for the movie 'The Best Years of Our Lives' being so timeless in how it presents this sort of behavior. And of course, particularly so in regard to the character of Fred Derry, played so wonderfully by actor Dana Andrews.

And btw, my father was the very same way in regard to his reticence in relaying to me the horrors he witnessed during his WWII military service.

(...in fact, perhaps the most vivid childhood memory I have in this regard is of him answering my question as to why we always see all those German soldiers standing up from an entrenched position during a firefight in order to get a better shot at one of the American squad in the 1960s TV series 'Combat!' and yet only to be shot down themselves, was of Pop saying, "Trust me son, the Germans were never that stupid. Remember, this is just a TV show.")