Lady Bird Johnson - 1912 - 2007

Chit-chat, current events
Vecchiolarry

Lady Bird Johnson - 1912 - 2007

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Everyone,

It has just been announced on the news that Lady Bird Johnson has died in Texas. She was 94. :(

She was indeed a lady and an exemplary one. I met her in 1968 at the San Antonio Hemisphair. I was there as a guest of Pola Negri, who was a dear friend of Mrs. Johnson.

Mrs. Johnson took up the cause of beautifying America and was very, very interested in the world environment long before it became a buzz word and an issue as it is today.

I thought she was a very beautiful woman and certainly exhibited that full Texas charm.

R.I.P. dearest Lady Bird

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mrs. Johnson took up the cause of beautifying America and was very, very interested in the world environment long before it became a buzz word and an issue as it is today. I thought she was a very beautiful woman and certainly exhibited that full Texas charm. R.I.P. dearest Lady Bird

Larry,
I echo your sentiments. Anyone who ever travels along a highway in Texas or anywhere else in which the median or the side of the road is covered in flowers such as bluebonnets or trees holding up the sky without the plethora of billboards that littered most state & interstate thruways assaulting the eye owes her a bit of thanks.

Additionally, I suspect that LBJ would've been lucky to have lived and died in obscurity as a teacher in the Central Texas Hill Country without the intelligent guiding hand (and family dough) of his wife. His ferocious spirit and excessive personality traits might easily have destroyed him without her steadying influence. One of the better tributes that I caught in the last few days included a clip of Lady Bird saying about her sometimes painful alliance with her often difficult husband: "He hurt me and brought out what was best in me and I him. That's how we knew it was love."

A beautiful, insightful lady bird, indeed.