August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Post by HoldenIsHere »

speedracer5 wrote: August 24th, 2023, 11:29 am I'm so excited about Loretta Young day today. I'm finally back from my business trip and have a couple days off before the weekend, before needing to return to work Monday. Loretta is someone I just discovered last year (previously I'd only known her from "The Bishop's Wife," the Clark Gable scandal, and the story about her swear jar). I love her precodes. It's refreshing to see her in roles outside of her "Saint Loretta" production code image. I especially love "Midnight Mary," "Taxi!" and "Employees Entrance." I wish they were showing my personal favorite Loretta precode, "She Had to Say Yes."

I love Loretta Young in all the phases of her career.

My favorite of her pre-codes is EMPLOYEES ENTRANCE.

MY favorites of her movies from the "Saint Loretta" period are THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER and COME TO THE STABLE.

One of the streaming platforms (I can't remember which one) is (or was) offering episodes of her TV series free with ads.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Ernest Borgnine day, here are my top ten favorites.

He is the only actor to appear twice in my personal top ten of all time.(the first two on the list below)

1. "Marty"-well deserved Oscar as the lonely Bronx butcher.

2. "From Here To Eternity"-one of the meanest, most sadistic villains ever on screen.

3. "The Poseidon Adventure"-the greatest disaster movie ever made. Borgnine is one of the standouts in a great cast.

4. "Bad Day At Black Rock"-another great grinning bad guy, takes a karate chop from one armed Spencer Tracy

5. "Jubal"-excellent performance as a cuckholded husband in a great western.

6. "Pay Or Die" a starring role as a heroic Italian cop battling the Black Hand, one of his more underrated films.

7. "The Catered Affair" he is great as another nice everyman ,good chemistry with Bette Davis.

8. "Hannie Caulder" he is the leader of a trio of slimy western villains, ravishing Raquel Welch seeks revenge.

9. "Violent Saturday" a small role, but a memorable one, as an Amish farmer who wields a mean pitchfork.

10. "Willard" I had to get this guilty pleasure in there, as the boss from hell who gets his just desserts from an army of rats.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Humphrey Bogart tomorrow!

THE RETURN OF DR. X! Do not miss!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

skimpole wrote: August 24th, 2023, 1:54 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 17th, 2023, 7:18 pm Who else thinks Katy Jurado is the best thing about HIGH NOON?
Not me. I prefer Cooper.

Also, was anyone else annoyed that TCM couldn't or wouldn't get Nashville for Geraldine Chaplin day?

Coop is certainly iconic in HIGH NOON.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: August 25th, 2023, 8:26 am Ernest Borgnine day, here are my top ten favorites.

He is the only actor to appear twice in my personal top ten of all time.(the first two on the list below)

1. "Marty"-well deserved Oscar as the lonely Bronx butcher.

2. "From Here To Eternity"-one of the meanest, most sadistic villains ever on screen.

3. "The Poseidon Adventure"-the greatest disaster movie ever made. Borgnine is one of the standouts in a great cast.

4. "Bad Day At Black Rock"-another great grinning bad guy, takes a karate chop from one armed Spencer Tracy

5. "Jubal"-excellent performance as a cuckholded husband in a great western.

6. "Pay Or Die" a starring role as a heroic Italian cop battling the Black Hand, one of his more underrated films.

7. "The Catered Affair" he is great as another nice everyman ,good chemistry with Bette Davis.

8. "Hannie Caulder" he is the leader of a trio of slimy western villains, ravishing Raquel Welch seeks revenge.

9. "Violent Saturday" a small role, but a memorable one, as an Amish farmer who wields a mean pitchfork.

10. "Willard" I had to get this guilty pleasure in there, as the boss from hell who gets his just desserts from an army of rats.
When you say 'top ten of all time' do you mean top 10 films, or top 10 performances by an actor?

Either way, I'm with you as it relates to Borgnine. Good to see Jubal get a mention. Fine western. It is interesting to see how Rod Steiger and Glenn Ford approach their roles since they have such different screen personas.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 7:09 pm Humphrey Bogart tomorrow!

THE RETURN OF DR. X! Do not miss!
Hard to believe they're showing Bogart films without screening Casablanca!
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm Hard to believe they're showing Bogart films without screening Casablanca!
If you know anything about Studio rental packages, you'd know Casablanca is the very highest "tier" when leasing for broadcast and is packaged along with unrelated movie stinkers that must be broadcast as part of the package.(this is why TCM has Underground & Saturday serials, for the misfits)

Whomever holds the rights to Casablanca thinks it's gold and keeps a tight, exploitative grip on it.
Personally, I find Casablanca a yawn.
Detective Jim McLeod

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 26th, 2023, 7:59 pm

When you say 'top ten of all time' do you mean top 10 films, or top 10 performances by an actor?

Either way, I'm with you as it relates to Borgnine. Good to see Jubal get a mention. Fine western. It is interesting to see how Rod Steiger and Glenn Ford approach their roles since they have such different screen personas.
I would say top ten performances since some of these are small roles for him but very memorable.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 5:57 am
txfilmfan wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm Hard to believe they're showing Bogart films without screening Casablanca!
If you know anything about Studio rental packages, you'd know Casablanca is the very highest "tier" when leasing for broadcast and is packaged along with unrelated movie stinkers that must be broadcast as part of the package.(this is why TCM has Underground & Saturday serials, for the misfits)

Whomever holds the rights to Casablanca thinks it's gold and keeps a tight, exploitative grip on it.
I'm familiar. I have a very good friend who buys properties for TV, and have even helped him pick film packages a couple of times.

WB owns the rights to Casablanca.

Just surprised me because TCM seems to show it every other month. MovieCollectorOH's site says they've showed it 176 times thus far.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I saw "The Winning Team" for the first time yesterday.
It had a similar feel to "The Stratton Story."
Early in the film, Doris Day almost had a June Allyson look.
While I'm not a David Niven fan, I watched "Please Don't Eat the Daisies."
Noticed for the first time, one of the boys ate the daisies.
Love "Any Way The Wind Blows."
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

txfilmfan wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:08 am Just surprised me because TCM seems to show it every other month. MovieCollectorOH's site says they've showed it 176 times thus far.
Whoa really? (or facetious?)
I haven't had TCM for maybe a decade and I had thought they NEVER played it! Maybe I just thought that since I never watched it, since I don't really like it.
I do like Humphrey Bogart better in other roles, though I would Amit it's his most beloved.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

TikiSoo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 2:49 pm
txfilmfan wrote: August 27th, 2023, 8:08 am Just surprised me because TCM seems to show it every other month. MovieCollectorOH's site says they've showed it 176 times thus far.
Whoa really? (or facetious?)
I haven't had TCM for maybe a decade and I had thought they NEVER played it! Maybe I just thought that since I never watched it, since I don't really like it.
I do like Humphrey Bogart better in other roles, though I would Amit it's his most beloved.
That's what his site says. Last time was this past spring.
Detective Jim McLeod

TikiSoo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 5:57 am
Not a big fan either, these are my favorite Bogart films

1. Dead End (1937)
2. The Roaring Twenties (1939)
3. The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)
4. The Caine Mutiny (1954)
5. The Desperate Hours (1955)
Last edited by Detective Jim McLeod on August 29th, 2023, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: August 27th, 2023, 10:47 am Love "Any Way The Wind Blows."
It's a catchy song. Was originally intended for Pillow Talk. It has a similar arrangement. The supporting cast in that movie is fun.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

From this classic record, which includes Roly Poly: