Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
HoldenIsHere

Re: Why were so many game show hosts such lowlifes?

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:45 pm I can't hold anything against Bob Barker; Anyhow that kicks the A out of Adam Sandler is A-OK by me.
I think you're referring to the hilarious scripted fight scene in HAPPY GILMORE.
It is one of the funniest movies of the 1990s.
Before Bob Barker agreed to take the role in the movie, he insisted that he win the fight.
You probably know that in real life Bob Barker and Adam Sandler get along.

They later reunited for a "re-match" in a comedy sketch that was part of a NIGHT OF TOO MANY STARS special to raise money for autism programs and public awareness of the disorder.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

dianedebuda wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:03 pm ...For some nutty reason, I tried Weakest Link last year and liked it. 😲
Question for ya here, diane:

Do you think it would be accepted by the viewing public if instead of the acid-tongued Anne Robinson and/or Jane Lynch, the host acting in this same manner would be male?

(...my opinion?...nope, it would not)
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:19 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:45 pm I can't hold anything against Bob Barker; Anyhow that kicks the A out of Adam Sandler is A-OK by me.
I think you're referring to the hilarious scripted fight scene in HAPPY GILMORE.
Before Bob Barker agreed to take the role in the movie, he insisted that he win the fight.

They later reunited for a "re-match" in a comedy sketch that was part of a NIGHT OF TOO MANY STARS special to raise money for autism programs and public awareness of the disorder.
Yea, that is the one. As for Adam Sandler; While I can't say I really enjoy him as an actor\comedian (other than 50 First Date and that is became I'm into the Barrymore family including Drew), around 20 years ago, a close friend and his teenage boys meet Sandler. Sandler didn't have time for them but promised to get back to them. A few weeks after they meet, my friend told me Sandler called them and chatted with the teens.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:24 pm
dianedebuda wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:03 pm ...For some nutty reason, I tried Weakest Link last year and liked it. 😲

Do you think it would be accepted by the viewing public if instead of the acid-tongued Anne Robinson and/or Jane Lynch, the host acting in this same manner would be male?

May I answer that?

Hell, no!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:34 pm
Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:24 pm

May I answer that?

Hell, no!
Looks like we're in agreement here then, Intrepid.

(...and inlike of course that whole thing about...wait for it...Salome Jens!!!!) ;)

LOL
laffite

Post by laffite »

It's the environment. Game shows are low life. Hosts are guttersnipe celebrity seekers who will stop at nothing to steal any kiss from unsuspecting women who are distracted by wanton greed and who are inherently and erotically excited by the prospect of a grand prize and who become prey for the wolves.
Mona
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

laffite wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:43 pm It's the environment. Game shows are low life. Hosts are guttersnipe celebrity seekers who will stop at nothing to steal any kiss from unsuspecting women who are distracted by wanton greed and who are inherently and erotically excited by the prospect of a grand prize and who become prey for the wolves.
Bob Crane really missed his calling. Instead of being an actor, he should have become a game show host. Imagine the bliss of a life that would've been for him.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:49 pm
laffite wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:43 pm It's the environment. Game shows are low life. Hosts are guttersnipe celebrity seekers who will stop at nothing to steal any kiss from unsuspecting women who are distracted by wanton greed and who are inherently and erotically excited by the prospect of a grand prize and who become prey for the wolves.
Bob Crane really missed his calling. Instead of being an actor, he should have become a game show host. Imagine the bliss of a life that would've been for him.
Ach so! I had to do a little research. Yes, you're right, he would have been in good company, or at least another bird of the feather.
Mona
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:24 pmDo you think it would be accepted by the viewing public if instead of the acid-tongued Anne Robinson and/or Jane Lynch, the host acting in this same manner would be male?

Seems like there's underlying humor with Lynch and nothing's to be taken seriously; never saw the Anne Robinson Brit version, so don't know how I'd feel about her. In general, I think you're right about a male host. Trying to imagine Don Rickles in the role ... nope. 😆
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

dianedebuda wrote: June 11th, 2023, 2:08 pm
Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:24 pmDo you think it would be accepted by the viewing public if instead of the acid-tongued Anne Robinson and/or Jane Lynch, the host acting in this same manner would be male?

Seems like there's underlying humor with Lynch and nothing's to be taken seriously; never saw the Anne Robinson Brit version, so don't know how I'd feel about her. In general, I think you're right about a male host. Trying to imagine Don Rickles in the role ... nope. 😆
LOL

Yep, I just keep thinking of the phrase "You hockey puck" here now!

And in regard to Anne Robinson hosting the show...

You may already know this, but being the original host over there in the land of the superfluous 'u', she continued hosting the show the first few years after it was brought over here to the States. I would think they hired Jane Lynch for the recent reprise of this show because of their similar acerbic and sarcastic style, as Lynch (who btw, I've always liked...although as they say, "a little bit of her, goes a long way") has made a career of playing this sort of character.
Masha

Post by Masha »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:19 pm

I believe that Bob Barker would have won in any case. He took karate lessons from Chuck Norris for years before that movie. He was also red belt in Tang Soo Do. That is the second-highest ranking.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:07 pm
[...] Allen Ludden and John Charles Daly?

(...as I'd say these two urbane gentlemen always came across as anything but that type, and so I believe their names should also be mentioned in this thread and considering that there has been others names of hosts with more positive images mentioned previously in this as well)
I found Allen Ludden to be pleasant but dull. He would have needed much more personality if he were ever to be obnoxious.

John Charles Daly was a treasure! He was mercilessly fair. He had such unbridled glee in convoluted explanations ostensibly given to clear up confusions.

I would dearly love to have a DVD of the repartee between him and Steve Allen during the various programs. They were intellectual equals, they were both proper gentlemen and they both had a twisted, devious sense of humour which I love.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:55 pm
Dargo wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:07 pm
[...] Allen Ludden and John Charles Daly?

(...as I'd say these two urbane gentlemen always came across as anything but that type, and so I believe their names should also be mentioned in this thread and considering that there has been others names of hosts with more positive images mentioned previously in this as well)
I found Allen Ludden to be pleasant but dull. He would have needed much more personality if he were ever to be obnoxious.

John Charles Daly was a treasure! He was mercilessly fair. He had such unbridled glee in convoluted explanations ostensibly given to clear up confusions.

I would dearly love to have a DVD of the repartee between him and Steve Allen during the various programs. They were intellectual equals, they were both proper gentlemen and they both had a twisted, devious sense of humour which I love.
Yes, indeed. It would be great to have just a collection of the exchanges between Daly and Steve Allen that took place on that show.

However and upon further reflection, I'd say pretty much every one of the original panelists and the exchanges between them and Mr. Daly seldom lacked in the qualities you just mentioned. Especially so again with the repartee that took place between Mr. Daly and Arlene Francis.

(...and of whom about 20 years ago or so and after getting hooked on watching old reruns of this show in the Gameshow Network at the time, I would find myself falling madly in love with...what a woman...besides being very intelligent, witty and whatever the female equivalent of "urbane" might be, she also somehow seemed to become more and more physically attractive as the years rolled on as well)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I had to search John Charles Daley. I didn’t grow up watching Steve Allen either.
I did grow up with Hollywood Squares and Peter Marshall.
Not all that crazy about Tom Bergeron and his group of squares, but watched anyway.
Maybe someone has already mentioned “Split Second” has returned on GSN.
I spent the summer of 1974 working for Storer Cable TV in Banning, CA.
I’d ride my bike to my little hotel room for lunch and watch Split Second.
I had a B&W TV with a coat hanger, bend to look like a baseball diamond, as the antenna.
I could get the channels from 24 miles east in Palm Springs.
“Those Were The Days!”
Eight Is Enough was a current show.
What I remember about Split Second was the game winner was given five cars to choose from and see if the one they selected would start. I loved that.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 5:50 pm
...I spent the summer of 1974 working for Storer Cable TV in Banning, CA.
I’d ride my bike to my little hotel room for lunch and watch Split Second.

What I remember about Split Second was the game winner was given five cars to choose from and see if the one they selected would start. I loved that.
I was a contestant on 'Split Second' just a couple of years earlier than this in 1972, jimimac. All of 20 y/o at the time. Tom Kennedy (Jack Narz's brother and himself a game show host of some repute during that time) was the host during its original run at the time, as I know there was a short-lived revival of this quiz show during the 1980s which was then hosted by its producer Monty Hall.

I did in fact win on one episode and so was one of those contestants who got a chance to pick from the five cars, and if as I'm sure you remember it started up, it would be mine to own.

The cars on stage were Pontiacs that week. And so being the young gearhead at the time that I was, I of course naturally opened the door and hopped into the Firebird and gave the key a twist. It didn't start. The car that WAS set up to start that day was the Safari Station Wagon, and of course the very LAST car I would've chosen.

(...I was beaten on the next episode and so didn't get another chance at those Pontiacs...as I recall, my total winnings were $550 and not a bad chunk o' change back then...oh, AND of course a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni..🎵"The San Francisco Treat!"🎵 ) LOL
Last edited by Dargo on June 11th, 2023, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.