What's It Like Facing the World As a Man?

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: What's It Like Facing the World As a Man?

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:28 pm Yeah. It's called being real. I speak online exactly as I'd speak in person. Well, maybe not quite as well - in person doesn't afford the same second-thought process that writing does.
Yeah, this here backspace key and the editing function sure come in handy sometimes, don't they?! ;)

(...I know what ya mean here, dude)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:47 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:28 pm Yeah. It's called being real. I speak online exactly as I'd speak in person. Well, maybe not quite as well - in person doesn't afford the same second-thought process that writing does.
Yeah, this here backspace key and the editing function sure come in handy sometimes, don't they?! ;)

Right. In real life, you hear a lot more profanity outta me than in here.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:50 pm
Dargo wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:47 pm

Right. In real life, you hear a lot more profanity outta me than in here.
Yep! My wife could tell ya the same about me here.

But after 32 years of marriage, she's seemed to have learned to live with it.

(...although I DO still get that "look" from her when I get on a, ahem, real roll in these regards)
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I have to laugh. I just visited a board called the Modern Drunkard . You can post any kind of cuss word you can think of, any kind of nasty thought that comes into your head. No censorship. I like that, it’s refreshing.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Dargo wrote: June 19th, 2023, 6:03 pm
Lomm wrote: June 19th, 2023, 4:41 pm
...I don't think either of you would speak to the other like that in person, or get so worked up so quickly. Play nice. Thanks.
No offense here Lomm, but I've always thought using this example for and as some sort of "guideline" to elicit proper and courteous online behavior as being a rather weak one.

Ya see, at no time do I ever recall replying to anyone who will begin throwing rude comments MY way with a reply that I would NOT otherwise have said directly TO them and even IF the two of us were or had been standing face-to-face at the time.

(...but then again of course, THIS could be the very reason why I would've made a very poor applicant for a job in our country's Diplomatic Corps) ;)

LOL
But by the same token it seems very likely that in real life such a conversation wouldn't devolve so rapidly into rude comments. To repeat, I don't believe intrepid is a troll; that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's easier to take offense (or to cause offense) in text without the nuance of spoken word. Snide comments can seem much harsher without hearing the tone behind them. My only ask is that we try getting along. This isn't the only thread where I've seen someone leap unexpectedly to bickering very quickly (and it's not either of you I'm singling out...this is just the latest so the place I'm mentioning it). Most smaller forums like this I've been a part of don't have this problem, frankly. Perhaps it's a remnant of coming over from a big community and the kinks are still working out.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Thompson wrote: June 20th, 2023, 5:24 am I have to laugh. I just visited a board called the Modern Drunkard . You can post any kind of cuss word you can think of, any kind of nasty thought that comes into your head. No censorship. I like that, it’s refreshing.
To be fair there's no censorship here either and you can say any word you want (within reason; you won't be seeing homophobic or racist language here!) The only ask is to avoid the old standbys, politics and religion, unless it's in the context of a film being discussed.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I can say f*** This s*** Motherfucker?
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No I can’t
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But the Motherfucker went through , go figure.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I’ll bet ya, now I’m going to type that disgusting cuss word with a small “m” and see — motherfucker.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

s*** and f*** won’t post but motherfucker will.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

This could be fun. Let’s try cock sucker, or pussy licker, or Bud Light drinker.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Okay, surprised that profanity went through .
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Ha, I didn't even know that was turned on! Maybe I should make a poll whether to turn it off or not. :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I have changed it so that (if a member chooses in their user control panel) one can disable/enable the word censoring. It seems to turn it OFF by default though, at least for me.