Millstone and Lawrence gone?

Chit-chat, current events
LostHorizons

Millstone and Lawrence gone?

Post by LostHorizons »

Have both of these famous / (infamous?) posters left for good never to return? I see Millstone hasn’t posted in a few months. He was that supposedly drunk guy who would pick fights with people over trivial stuff. I actually sort of miss him because I got along with him at least. Any other MIA posters?
Dargo

Re: Millstone and Lawrence gone?

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:09 am Have both of these famous / (infamous?) posters left for good never to return? I see Millstone hasn’t posted in a few months. He was that supposedly drunk guy who would pick fights with people over trivial stuff. I actually sort of miss him because I got along with him at least. Any other MIA posters?
Funny you mentioning this, LH. Just the other day I was also thinking this same thing and began wondering about the absence of both of them.

I've also been wondering what became of our friend TomJH, a long-time contributor on the old TCM boards. I think he only posted a few times here at SSO a short time after "the great migration", but hasn't posted since.

(...sure hope they're all doin' well, wherever they are, anyway)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:33 am
LostHorizons wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:09 am Have both of these famous / (infamous?) posters left for good never to return? I see Millstone hasn’t posted in a few months. He was that supposedly drunk guy who would pick fights with people over trivial stuff. I actually sort of miss him because I got along with him at least. Any other MIA posters?
Funny you mentioning this, LH. Just the other day I was also thinking this same thing and began wondering about the absence of both of them.

I've also been wondering what became of our friend TomJH, a long-time contributor on the old TCM boards. I think he only posted a few times here at SSO a short time after "the great migration", but hasn't posted since.

(...sure hope they're all doin' well, wherever they are, anyway)
Yeah, I back up your sentiments about all three of them. Tom is another good poster who is missing though he was never a “post every single day” kind of contributor like the former two were. Iirc on the old forum, he went months without posting sometimes which is why I would be less skeptical of him returning. All the same, I hope he is well.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Millstone left the internet forever. The other ones I'm not sure about, but they have not, as far as I know, left the internet forever.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 6:57 am Millstone left the internet forever. The other ones I'm not sure about, but they have not, as far as I know, left the internet forever.
"Left the internet forever" sounds kind of apocalyptic! Is there a story there, that can be related?

I think Lawrence (whom I miss) just made the decision not to post anymore. Not sure what happened to Tom, he was a valued contributor.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

When I say that I mean he was banned. :) EP was instigating too many complaints from too many people, and it got to be more than the management wanted to deal with, shall we say.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:44 am When I say that I mean he was banned. :) EP was instigating too many complaints from too many people, and it got to be more than the management wanted to deal with, shall we say.
Well ... You originally made it possible for me to think EP went to the big ISP in the sky.
Glad to hear you are able to ban as necessary.
Guess what I mean by that is I've only noticed you locking threads.
I try to mind my pints and quarts but some people are button pushers.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Well if someone is banned I wouldn't typically make a public post about it unless there was some huge controversy and it seemed worth addressing. I normally consider it "behind the scenes" stuff that isn't worth talking about because it can only cause drama. But since the question was asked, I answered. :)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 10:48 am Well if someone is banned I wouldn't typically make a public post about it unless there was some huge controversy and it seemed worth addressing. I normally consider it "behind the scenes" stuff that isn't worth talking about because it can only cause drama. But since the question was asked, I answered. :)
Would you ever consider shadow-banning someone? I will never be able to explain it but I find the concept quite delicious.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:44 am When I say that I mean he was banned. :) EP was instigating too many complaints from too many people, and it got to be more than the management wanted to deal with, shall we say.
Making numerous personal attacks on other members should get one "banned". That was the reason for so many complaints against EP.

Political opinion, however, should not be restricted. And, really, it isn't - it just has to be supportive of whatever politic is supported by administration. For example, I've seen here that if one posts something negative about the second amendment of the Constitution (gun ownership), that post - even if a complaint is registered against it - will be permitted to stand. Conversely, if one posts something about the folly of hiring less competent workers and professionals over much more competent ones for the sake of "diversity", that will be locked or deleted and administration will post that it's wondering about an "agenda".

Saying politics isn't permitted is not truthful. It just has to be "approved" politics.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Oh, spare us, please.

I say lock the thread. We are entering the war zone.
Mona
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I noticed several of Lawrence's last few posts were kind of impatiently irritated. Taking personal umbrage at those who dared to contradict his POV on any issue. I was one of his targets at one time due to my having my own opinion on something. I can't speak for why the others have been absent, but I think Lawrence left because he was the only one patting him on the back.

Sepiatone
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

laffite wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 11:39 am Oh, spare us, please.
Us?

You're referring to the intolerant, right?
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Masha wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 11:14 am
Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 10:48 am Well if someone is banned I wouldn't typically make a public post about it unless there was some huge controversy and it seemed worth addressing. I normally consider it "behind the scenes" stuff that isn't worth talking about because it can only cause drama. But since the question was asked, I answered. :)
Would you ever consider shadow-banning someone? I will never be able to explain it but I find the concept quite delicious.
This board doesn't support that, but no, I would not. To me that's just making a mockery of someone (ha ha, look he's posting and nobody can see it, and he doesn't know!). I don't like that idea.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 11:25 am
Making numerous personal attacks on other members should get one "banned". That was the reason for so many complaints against EP.

Political opinion, however, should not be restricted. And, really, it isn't - it just has to be supportive of whatever politic is supported by administration. For example, I've seen here that if one posts something negative about the second amendment of the Constitution (gun ownership), that post - even if a complaint is registered against it - will be permitted to stand. Conversely, if one posts something about the folly of hiring less competent workers and professionals over much more competent ones for the sake of "diversity", that will be locked or deleted and administration will post that it's wondering about an "agenda".

Saying politics isn't permitted is not truthful. It just has to be "approved" politics.
I vaguely remember the gun post you reference, and I don't think it was particularly inflammatory. It also didn't derail discussion into a gun rights thread. If it had, action would have been taken there as well.

Since you brought it up, your post with the video used inflammatory rhetoric right in the big bold text in the screen frame, and there was nowhere that was going to go but straight to political arguments. There's no winning in a politics thread, just a bunch of back and forth self righteousness from everyone...probably including me, if I let it continue. :lol: You were coming from a starting point of causing confrontation, not a side note in a different discussion that didn't end up causing any controversies anyway.