Shadow Banning

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Shadow Banning

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 6:01 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 11:33 am I like beer but it is too expensive.
I enjoy Scotch but can get cheaper Canadian Whiskey.
You are right about that jimimac, beer is expensive. All those old saws about a beer budget are long gone. I moved to vodka after I swore to myself I would never move to vodka. But I am a fool for a cold sixteen. All that carbonation, that 5 % kicking in. Nothing like it.
I drink A&W Root Beer. It has carbonation too! And no hangover. Who could ask for more.
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 5:34 pm
Lomm wrote: June 29th, 2023, 7:09 am Bud Light gave a SINGLE commemorative can to a Trans person
Mulvaney is not a "Trans person". He's a guy who dresses up as, and pretends to be, a little girl. His following is overwhelmingly children - underage kids, generally around 12 -15.

It was not a "single commemorative can". It was the beginning of an entire promotion - with commercials and various advertising campaign items.

Mulvaney's little girl schtick is sickening to most adults and this promotion is definitely insulting to the "frat boy" consumers cited by the promotion's director.

But, by all means, see it your way.

They've lost about 30 billion of value so far - gonna go higher than that.

And, in many places, the embarrassment of consuming bud in public will continue to be felt.
You sure know a lot about Mulvaney. That is telling.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I believe that all this GLBT, or however it goes, is on par with Dave Chappelle’s caustic and terrific sense of social workings that he uses for humor. If we can make fun of ourselves, quit taking everything so serious, take a step back, laugh a little bit, life is a carnival, believe it or not.
jamesjazzguitar

txfilmfan wrote: June 29th, 2023, 3:33 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 29th, 2023, 1:38 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 11:33 am I like beer but it is too expensive.
I enjoy Scotch but can get cheaper Canadian Whiskey.
I don't believe it is right or left wing.
I can hear the lock from Lomm clicking soon.
You're correct that the vast majority of products are not 'right or left wing', but marketing can be viewed as being such.

E.g., having gay or mix-raced couples in ads. The CarShield ads on INSP and Grit that tend to show conservative leaning shows (e.g. 50s \ 60s westerns). These ads clearly are designed to appeal to Trumpers.

Therefore, companies need to be careful; If they decide to market to a specific demographic, they may get push back by another specific demographic, and thus these companies may not see an increase in sales. In the case of Bud Light, it was a decrease. Sadly, this is the result of the tit-for-tat culture wars going on.
It also see-saws. Look at what's happened with the recent online moaning about Cracker Barrel and Chik-fil-A, both of which were targets a few years back of LGBT advocates. Now it's the "anti-woke" crowd going after them.

One of my friends was going to "boycott" a certain local Tex-Mex chain because its founder, no longer associated with the company, didn't align with his politics. I told him that if you look hard enough at anyone or any company, you're going to find something that you're not aligned with, and if you keep going down this path, you'll soon be standing alone.
Yes, there is the see-saw effect as well as what I'm calling the Kevin Bacon effect: this is where a chain starts to develop from the initial company people are angry at to a company that sells said products from that initial company, to networks that show ads from that initial company etc... to six degrees of insanity! Now it is these same misguided (at best) people caring what other people wish to spend their money on. OK, I can see why Latinos may wish to boycott Goya, or "anti-them" folks Bud Light. But to get upset at other people that wish to spend their money on these products because they don't toe-the-line with one politically, is just insane.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 29th, 2023, 6:22 pm You sure know a lot about Mulvaney. That is telling.
Tells that I know what I'm talking about.

Your remark is just yet one more example of how, when you and your kind have nothing valid to use apart from emotional prejudice, you and they always go to the personal attack. Pathetic.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 29th, 2023, 7:37 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 29th, 2023, 6:22 pm You sure know a lot about Mulvaney. That is telling.

Your remark is just yet one more example of how, when you and your kind have nothing valid to use apart from emotional prejudice, you and they always go to the personal attack. Pathetic.
Intrepid —. I am having a hard time getting underneath where you are coming from. Enlighten me. This Budweiser business is obviously a bug up your butt, an attack on your sense of self, some kind of injustice and moral wrong. I just don’t see that, I don’t get it going that far. Then it’s like don’t step on Intrepid’s toes because he will take it way past where it is was going in the first place.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

But hey Man, I am for Freedom Of Speech. You say what you want to say. Give it all you got. That is all you can do, give it all you got, or at least part of what you got. Might save a little bit for later.😜
Last edited by Thompson on June 29th, 2023, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

You shouldn’t drink beer either ways as it is a really bad habit. Sometimes I feel actually supportive of reinstating Prohibition. The world would be better without beer in it.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

LostHorizons wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:05 pm You shouldn’t drink beer either ways as it is a really bad habit. Sometimes I feel actually supportive of reinstating Prohibition. The world would be better without beer in it.
Now that is completely insane. What, you want all us alcoholics to slug vodka as soon as we wake up and have to drink hard liquor or God Forbid wine all day? Beer is healthy as hell. The problem is sticking with it.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:15 pm
LostHorizons wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:05 pm You shouldn’t drink beer either ways as it is a really bad habit. Sometimes I feel actually supportive of reinstating Prohibition. The world would be better without beer in it.
Now that is completely insane. What, you want all us alcoholics to slug vodka as soon as we wake up and have to drink hard liquor or God Forbid wine all day? Beer is healthy as hell. The problem is sticking with it.
It is not worth going into with you nor is it your concern but my aversion to alcohol is because I have alcoholics in my own family and it saddens me they are afflicted with it. The actual “Gosta Berling” kind like in that Greta Garbo movie, not the jokester kind like you (I assume). I don’t find the topic funny as it is too serious to me. The less alcohol people drink the better. I unintentionally like Bud Light for making people drink less beer.
jamesjazzguitar

Thanks for the laugh. You made my day with the "your kind" crack. I'm an atheist but I'm thanking God I'm not one of your kind.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm a heavy drinker and have been for decades.
My Granddad was a miserable alcoholic.
For the most part, I'm harmless.
Other drugs are more dangerous.
Me and my my hootch understand each other.
jamesjazzguitar

Thompson wrote: June 29th, 2023, 7:58 pm

Intrepid —. I am having a hard time getting underneath where you are coming from. Enlighten me. This Budweiser business is obviously a bug up your butt, an attack on your sense of self, some kind of injustice and moral wrong. I just don’t see that, I don’t get it going that far. Then it’s like don’t step on Intrepid’s toes because he will take it way past where it is was going in the first place.
Yea, I don't get why my comment was viewed as a personal attack. I guess someone is overly sensitive. But as all can clearly see one is putting in a lot of energy into this Bud Light situation and especially Mulvaney. A lot. The topic must be very important or they have too much time on their hands. I'm like you; Lighten up, have to tote, drink a beer (wine for me), get over it!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

To any who wonder about what I say about personal attacks where it involves the guitar guy - he and I have co-existed in the TCM forum community for many, many years. We both know what he's attempting to accomplish when he makes remarks like "You sure know a lot about Mulvaney. That is telling."

He thinks that couching it in a vague, cryptic manner disguises himself - gives him plausible deniability if anyone realizes what he's really falsely insinuating. It's quite a cowardly practice but it seems to suit him as he has employed it many times over the years.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

:roll:
was "mr6666" @ TCM