What movies should be on TCM?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
txfilmfan

Re: What movies should be on TCM?

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: June 30th, 2023, 5:18 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 30th, 2023, 5:06 pm They did air a few Rohmers -- I remember CLAIRE'S KNEE.
Yes, only the famous ones. They've shown Mae West films, too, but only I'm No Angel and She Done Him Wrong.
That was the article's point. Well known movies will always be available. It's the more obscure titles that will likely not see the light of day.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

dianedebuda wrote: June 30th, 2023, 11:37 am Nip would say, you know ... Hot Spell. 🤭
I would LOVE to see that one!

Also, Beyond the Forest.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Tonight EATING RAOUL is on at like 12:45...
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

how bout in an Arkin tribute?
(they used to play this all the time)
:smiley_clap:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: June 30th, 2023, 5:06 pm They did air a few Rohmers -- I remember CLAIRE'S KNEE.
They’ve actually aired many of the ones he has in the Criterion collection. I remember they aired the entire “series” where each title is from a different season of the year or something to that effect? Like spring and winter? Idk I am not a huge Rohmer fan but I remember seeing that on.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And maybe MY LITTLE CHICKADEE but not KLONDIKE ANNIE or the one with Randolph Scott but I could be wrong.

I will add more to the list:

GUEST IN THE HOUSE
CLAUDIA
CLAUDIA AND DAVID
THREE PENNY OPERA (German 1931 w/Lotte Lenya)
THE INVISIBLE RAY
INTERNATIONAL HOUSE
SUMMER STORM
SUMMERTIME
ROBOT MONSTER
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I think you're right about those Rohmers, LostHorizons.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

There are a wealth of Rohmers that have not been on TCM, although they have shown the famous ones, plus a few of the early ones e.g. The Bakery Girl of Monceau. . My favorite Rohmers inlclude Tales of the Four Seasons (Contes des quatre saisons), A Summer's Tale being my favorite and one of my favorite films. I would also like TCM to show The Marquise of O (which is incredibly timely in a way) and The Lady and the Duke, which is about Grace Elliott's time in France. Grace Elliott's portrait is one of Gainsborough's most famous paintings and hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

txfilmfan wrote: June 30th, 2023, 3:33 pm
Swithin wrote: June 30th, 2023, 3:07 pm I'd like to see the early Paramounts, particularly all the Marlene Dietrich and Mae West films they don't show. And of course I'd like them to show Peter Ibbetson. And a series of Eric Rohmer films.

Occasionally they get the rights to show one or two of the above, but they're always the best known ones.
LA Times had an article on the TCM drama, and it stated, as an example, that the early Paramount properties are largely MIA. The article explained that it's expensive to restore/convert a film for today's digital platforms, and today's rights holders (NBC/Comcast/Universal, in this case) are reluctant to spend the money if they don't feel the properties have commercial value.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... e-at-risk

Films of the 1930s will soon enter public domain, which will probably mean there will be even less commercial value to these properties, if free copies are running around somewhere...
Let me vouch for something personally, almost every Paramount & Universal title of the 30s and 40s are popping up somewhere on the internet already.....Studios might not be happy about it, but they have done nothing to take them down.....
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

jimimac71 wrote: June 30th, 2023, 4:22 pm EP used to post a site in Russia.
That would spook me.
I know the site. I'm not proud of what I've done, but you can circumvent that website and the Russians and grab the video you went by just typing in the film's name and release yer with the name of the Russian site into an American web browser (like Google, bing, or Yahoo) and then use an American downloading site to save it to your computer or tablet without ever giving foot traffic or information to the Russians. I feel guilty doing it, and want to stop doing it, but I confess I have seen a lot of very rare titles that way.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 3rd, 2023, 12:20 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 30th, 2023, 4:22 pm EP used to post a site in Russia.
That would spook me.
I know the site. I'm not proud of what I've done, but you can circumvent that website and the Russians and grab the video you went by just typing in the film's name and release yer with the name of the Russian site into an American web browser (like Google, bing, or Yahoo) and then use an American downloading site to save it to your computer or tablet without ever giving foot traffic or information to the Russians. I feel guilty doing it, and want to stop doing it, but I confess I have seen a lot of very rare titles that way.
I don't see the harm in what you've done.
I've downloaded songs from YouTube videos and converted them to MP3s.
In other words, songs I knew but were not for sale anywhere.
My avatar is from a screenshot, from a video of WKRP in Cincinnati.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

SHERMAN'S MARCH
ROAD TO RIO
LOS OLVIDADOS
MURDER BY TELEVISION
CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA
MR. WONG, DETECTIVE
THINK FAST, MR. MOTO
MAKE WAY FOR LILA
BRIDE OF THE MONSTER