September 2023 Schedule Posted, Dirk Bogarde is SOTM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

September 2023 Schedule Posted, Dirk Bogarde is SOTM

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for September, 2023.
Dirk Bogarde is Star of the Month (his first time).

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
Swithin

Re: September 2023 Schedule Posted, Dirk Bogarde is SOTM

Post by Swithin »

My cursory look reveals some good stuff, particularly The Damned (1969) in the Dirk Bogarde series. I hope it's the fullest version. Is that a TCM premiere?

I'm always pleased to see Frisco Jenny (1932) screened. Wonderful pre-code, with the most heartbreaking ending: Helen Jerome Eddy burning the clippings. Possibly the first talkie featuring the San Francisco earthquake, which seems to be caused by Jenny's father slapping her.

Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) is always a treat. And I haven't seen The Lost Honour of Katarina Blum (1975) since my college film class. Look forward to seeing it again.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Heads up for the TCM premiere of Back Street (1932)--Criterion put out Imitation of Life (1934) and may be interested in more early John M. Stahl films (c'mom Seed and Only Yesterday).
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Swithin wrote: July 15th, 2023, 8:11 am My cursory look reveals some good stuff, particularly The Damned (1969) in the Dirk Bogarde series. I hope it's the fullest version. Is that a TCM premiere?
A bit of ambiguity for this title.

MovieCollectorOH does not list The Damned (1969) as being shown in his TCM history database.

However, the archived TCM web site lists The Damned (1969) as being shown on TCM Imports late on the evening of June 17, 2012, so I did not list it as a premiere in the schedule for September, 2023.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Waa!

Darling doesn't seem to be airing as part of the Dirke Bogarde Star Of The Month tribute ----unless it's one of the TBA titles.
Understandably Julie Christie is the focus in most discussion about Darling ---- she is fantastic in the movie --- but Dirke Bogarde's performance is also amazing.

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

cmovieviewer wrote: July 15th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Swithin wrote: July 15th, 2023, 8:11 am My cursory look reveals some good stuff, particularly The Damned (1969) in the Dirk Bogarde series. I hope it's the fullest version. Is that a TCM premiere?

MovieCollectorOH does not list The Damned (1969) as being shown in his TCM history database.

However, the archived TCM web site lists The Damned (1969) as being shown on TCM Imports late on the evening of June 17, 2012, so I did not list it as a premiere in the schedule for September, 2023.
That was actually a misprint on the part of the TCM website. The movie called the Damned which was shown was actually a 1947 French movie about Nazis escaping from Germany in a submarine called “Les Maudits.” I specificallly remember this because any time it was on I recorded it and was sorely disappointed. The Visconti film as far as I am aware, has never appeared on TCM before.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

LostHorizons wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:04 pm That was actually a misprint on the part of the TCM website. The movie called the Damned which was shown was actually a 1947 French movie about Nazis escaping from Germany in a submarine called “Les Maudits.” I specificallly remember this because any time it was on I recorded it and was sorely disappointed. The Visconti film as far as I am aware, has never appeared on TCM before.
Thanks very much for the confirmation. I will correct my records and mark it as a premiere.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

skimpole wrote: July 15th, 2023, 6:22 pm Will they be showing Providence as part of the Bogarde tribute (I note several TBA as of now)?
We will have to wait to find out the remaining Dirk Bogarde titles. Unfortunately it will likely be several weeks before TCM completes the September schedule.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LostHorizons wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:04 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: July 15th, 2023, 1:38 pm

That was actually a misprint on the part of the TCM website. The movie called the Damned which was shown was actually a 1947 French movie about Nazis escaping from Germany in a submarine called “Les Maudits.” I specificallly remember this because any time it was on I recorded it and was sorely disappointed. The Visconti film as far as I am aware, has never appeared on TCM before.
Well let's hope they show a good print of The Damned. I haven't seen it since shortly after it was released, on a double bill with Death in Venice. That was a very popular double bill in the 1970s. And it looks like TCM will be showing both on September 20.

The Damned
can also serve as a memorial tribute to Helmut Berger, who died in May.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

cmovieviewer wrote: July 15th, 2023, 5:20 am TCM has posted a partial schedule for September, 2023.
Dirk Bogarde is SOTM...
Terrific, DIRK BOGARDE is a favorite! DEATH IN VENICE (1971) THE NIGHT PORTER and THE DAMNED (1969) are all scheduled.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

kingrat wrote: July 15th, 2023, 10:39 pm
Swithin wrote: July 15th, 2023, 10:06 pm
LostHorizons wrote: July 15th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Well let's hope they show a good print of The Damned. I haven't seen it since shortly after it was released, on a double bill with Death in Venice. That was a very popular double bill in the 1970s. And it looks like TCM will be showing both on September 20.
Lordy, Swithin, that's like having the Bruckner Fifth and the Bruckner Eighth on the same symphony program. René Clément's Les Maudits is a much better film (and shorter!) than Visconti's The Damned, whose original pretentious title was Götterdämmerung. Both have Nazis and homosexuality, though only the Visconti seems to feel there's some causal connection between the two.
That was actually a popular idea back in the 60s. It was popularized in the book Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Nazis_myth
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bogarde is an unexpected, but welcome pick, since I'm not the most familiar with his filmography. It will be interesting to see if they decide to air his final film, 1990's Daddy Nostalgia, since his on-screen daughter in that film, Jane Birkin, just passed away.