Oppenheimer (2023)

Dargo

Re: Oppenheimer (2023)

Post by Dargo »

kingrat wrote: July 26th, 2023, 9:36 pm
It's interesting that Matt Damon is playing Leslie Groves, the role played by Paul Newman in Fat Man and Little Boy, a decent film about the Manhattan Project hampered by a title that wasn't too appealing (it refers to the A-bombs).
I remember watching 'Fat Man and Little Boy' years ago as well KR, but felt it only a so-so telling of what I had already known of the Manhattan Project's particulars.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I know there has been some controversy about Christopher Nolan's artistic decision not have his actors re-record dialogue in post production.
Apparently, it's something he's never liked to do, preferring to keep the sound that was recorded at the time the performances were given, even if some of the dialogue is not easy to discern.

Did any who saw OPPENHEIMER have trouble hearing any portion of the movie's dialogue clearly?
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

HoldenIsHere wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:06 pm I know there has been some controversy about Christopher Nolan's artistic decision not have his actors re-record dialogue in post production.
Apparently, it's something he's never liked to do, preferring to keep the sound that was recorded at the time the performances were given, even if some of the dialogue is not easy to discern.
Valentina Cortese hardest hit.

(Unfortunately, I couldn't find the important part later in the scene where Cortese informs the director that Fellini looped all the dialogue in post-production and let the actors just say numbers during the scene.)
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

My opinion of Oppenheimer: a masterpiece. Portions of the dialogue were a little hard to make out, and the score at times was too loud. Nonetheless, the film is a tremendous achievement.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I don't know if the site hosting the photo will let me hotlink it, but this is relevant.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fedya wrote: August 5th, 2023, 11:12 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:06 pm I know there has been some controversy about Christopher Nolan's artistic decision not have his actors re-record dialogue in post production.
Valentina Cortese hardest hit.

(Unfortunately, I couldn't find the important part later in the scene where Cortese informs the director that Fellini looped all the dialogue in post-production and let the actors just say numbers during the scene.)
DAY FOR NIGHT is probably my favorite movie about the making of a movie. I love the part where Valentina Cortese's character mentions that Fellini lets his actors say numbers during scenes!

Valentina Cortese also has a role in another fun movie about the making of a movie --- THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE. Valentina Cortese's character in that movie is named Bozo! (specifically Countess Bozo Bedoni)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

kingrat wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:51 pm Thanks for raising this point, Holden. This sort of thing drives me nuts. I actually prefer hearing the dialogue. But then, of course, the film can't be all about the director's genius, and Christopher Nolan is all about the director's (purported) genius.
Yes, I find that the older I get, the more I prefer to hear the dialogue in a movie rather than having to use Closed Captioning for an English language movie.

I'm not referring to scenes where the dialogue is intended to be indistinct.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Have to say I didn't once have to turn to my wife and whisper that "What did they say?" question to her when we watched this film a week and a half ago.

(...and it seems I have to do this at least once now days whenever we go to the movies)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

kingrat wrote: July 26th, 2023, 9:36 pm You're welcome, Swithin.

Yes, I suppose there might be a bit of whitewashing going on in the film, but considering the scene in which...

***POSSIBLE SPOIL ALERT HERE***

...Gen. Leslie Groves first meets Oppenheimer and during which Groves bluntly informs him of what unflattering things he had read about him in his government dossier, I thought this helped lessened the idea of this film being a total exercise in haliography.

And in fact and speaking of Groves and how Matt Damon played him, by the time the film ended, I actually felt if any character in this film might've been the receipient any sort of haliographic effect in it, it was Groves, and because of how he was portrayed by Damon as being an extremely fair/clear-minded, insightful and loyal man almost to a fault.

(...not that I'm implying that Leslie Groves might not have been such a man in real life here you understand, but I still got the impression that Nolan wanted to press this particular point in his film)
It's interesting that Matt Damon is playing Leslie Groves, the role played by Paul Newman in Fat Man and Little Boy, a decent film about the Manhattan Project hampered by a title that wasn't too appealing (it refers to the A-bombs).
[/quote]

I think this is the only place on the internet where I've seen multiple people mentioning Fat Man and Little Boy, a film I always meant to get around to but never did (but now, maybe very soon). Its as though it was forgotten by all the critics who rushed to praise Oppenheimer. Meanwhile, I've remembered about the title for years.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: August 6th, 2023, 4:44 pm
Dargo wrote: August 5th, 2023, 4:17 pm Have to say I didn't once have to turn to my wife and whisper that "What did they say?" question to her when we watched this film a week and a half ago.

(...and it seems I have to do this at least once now days whenever we go to the movies)

Was this because you fell asleep? ;)
LOL ;)

No, actually Nellie, the film held my interest, start to finish.

And even though as I said earlier in this thing here, I did think a few minutes could've perhaps had been trimmed (primarily the scenes involving the scienfic theory discussions during the bomb's early development phase) and which in my opinion wouldn't have lessened the overall quality nor the continuity of the film.