Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
BagelOnAPlate

Re: Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Intrepid37 wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 2:57 pm
LostHorizons wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 1:45 pm I disagree with the position but do not consider it “archaic.” I consider it purely biologically driven. The male of each species is biologically driven to impregnate as many women as possible to spread his genetics. This is simple fact and not a moral statement. Now, where I disagree is the idea that we have to follow whatever our natural genetics say and we should be enslaved to them. I have spoken against the idea of marriage in general on the old forum so I don’t need to get into it again but I will say for those that choose the option of marriage they should stay faithful lest they become hypocrites.
And yet we now know that more women cheat on their partners than do men cheat on theirs. This in spite of your "biologically driven" thesis regarding the "male species".

When it comes to certain facts of life, men tend to be very slow learners. Mostly it's because they don't want to know.
I'm not sure who's the "we" you're referring to, but the statistics from the 2018 Institute of Family Studies study show that 20% of men and 13% of women had sex with someone other than their spouse while they were married.

Also, for all age groups men had a higher rate of infidelity than women with the exception of the 18-29 group where the rate for women was slightly higher than for men (11% vs 10%).

Personal experience or anecdotal information is not generalizable if that's the basis of your claim.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 6:24 pm the statistics from the 2018 Institute of Family Studies study show that 20% of men and 13% of women had sex with someone other than their spouse while they were married.
I saw that bullshit online as well. Women lied a lot more about it back in the mid 2010's than they shamelessly do now.

But most still lie about it. Except to their female friends.

Do a little more research and you'll know better.

Women are definitely cheating more than men - it's so much easier for them.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I'm not going to clean this thread up because it's too many pages. Intrepid has left the internet forever due to excessive complaints and endless bickering (this is becoming my least favorite word). Let's please get back to movie talk.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 6:24 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 2:57 pm
LostHorizons wrote: August 2nd, 2023, 1:45 pm I disagree with the position but do not consider it “archaic.” I consider it purely biologically driven. The male of each species is biologically driven to impregnate as many women as possible to spread his genetics. This is simple fact and not a moral statement. Now, where I disagree is the idea that we have to follow whatever our natural genetics say and we should be enslaved to them. I have spoken against the idea of marriage in general on the old forum so I don’t need to get into it again but I will say for those that choose the option of marriage they should stay faithful lest they become hypocrites.
And yet we now know that more women cheat on their partners than do men cheat on theirs. This in spite of your "biologically driven" thesis regarding the "male species".

When it comes to certain facts of life, men tend to be very slow learners. Mostly it's because they don't want to know.
I'm not sure who's the "we" you're referring to, but the statistics from the 2018 Institute of Family Studies study show that 20% of men and 13% of women had sex with someone other than their spouse while they were married.

Also, for all age groups men had a higher rate of infidelity than women with the exception of the 18-29 group where the rate for women was slightly higher than for men (11% vs 10%).

Personal experience or anecdotal information is not generalizable if that's the basis of your claim.
I'm reminded of an old gag from Jay Leno when he hosted the "Tonight Show". And from the mid '90's...

"A recent study showed that 65% of married men claim that if they had it all to do over again they'd marry the same woman. And that woman is Salma Hayek." :lol:

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Lomm wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 7:18 am I'm not going to clean this thread up because it's too many pages. Intrepid has left the internet forever due to excessive complaints and endless bickering (this is becoming my least favorite word). Let's please get back to movie talk.
You're a very nice person but I find you to be very naive: He didn't leave the internet forever: He is posting right now at the Classic Film forum.

Anyhow, at least at this forum, the focus can be on movie talk.

As for BCTA: I have never liked this film. The only reason I even watched it was because Natilie Wood was so darn beautiful!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Lomm wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 7:18 am I'm not going to clean this thread up because it's too many pages. Intrepid has left the internet forever due to excessive complaints and endless bickering (this is becoming my least favorite word). Let's please get back to movie talk.
Wait...WHAT???!!!

So then tell us here, Lomm! Where are we now going to get our daily dose of "the unvarished truth dispensed by the only man honest enough around here to tell us the things we ought to know but always resist knowing"???

LOOK dude, I'll tell ya RIGHT now! Do NOT look for ME to now take up the slack that this opening created!

(...you don't pay me NEARLY enough to do this sort'a double duty around here, ya know...HEY, come to THINK of it, you don't pay me ANYTHING for what I'm doing NOW around here, whatever THAT is, you cheap son-of-a-gun)

LOL
Last edited by Dargo on August 3rd, 2023, 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 5:54 pm
You're a very nice person but I find you to be very naive: He didn't leave the internet forever: He is posting right now at the Classic Film forum.

As for BCTA: I have never liked this film. The only reason I even watched it was because Natilie Wood was so darn beautiful!
I find it hypocritical he went there when he was b1tching about Topbilled nonstop when he got here and also said he would never sign up to his forum.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 8:13 pm

I find it hypocritical he went there when he was b1tching about Topbilled nonstop when he got here and also said he would never sign up to his forum.
I'm sure you've heard that old sayin', "Any port in a storm" now haven't ya, LH?) ;)
Last edited by Dargo on August 4th, 2023, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

:lol: It's just an expression, James. Trust me, I know how the internet works.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

But Intrepid didn't "leave". He was banned. And blames Tiki.

But I believe in Evelyn Beatrice Hall's words too much to approve of what happened.

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

I don't believe he ever said that he would never join TB's forum. He has been there for a long time. One reason is that TB does little to no moderating and one can post about politics as much as they want.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Sepiatone wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:32 am But Intrepid didn't "leave". He was banned. And blames Tiki.

But I believe in Evelyn Beatrice Hall's words too much to approve of what happened.

Sepiatone
He can blame me. I banned him. There were too many instances of being rude or condescending at best to other posters here, and too many complaints about him. You may disagree with the decision or otherwise disapprove of what happened, but it wasn't Tiki's "fault". It was Intrepid's. Again, "left the internet forever" was a joke...because I banned him. The phrase is just whimsical, despite the situation.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 4th, 2023, 12:25 pm

I don't believe he ever said that he would never join TB's forum. He has been there for a long time. One reason is that TB does little to no moderating and one can post about politics as much as they want.
I’m not the Darkblue expert but I distinctly remember LawrenceA telling me that Darkblue was his arch nemesis (“head of the anti Topbilled cabal” was his words almost exactly) so it surprises me he would even visit that site let alone post.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Sepiatone wrote: August 4th, 2023, 11:32 am But Intrepid didn't "leave". He was banned. And blames Tiki.
Of course he does, his M.O. is to blame others -especially women- rather than admitting his downfall is due to his own behaviour.

His posts were reported offensive by several different SSO members. It was my job to warn him, but he chose to continue.