BACK STREET

Hibi

Re: BACK STREET

Post by Hibi »

Irene's hair sure turned grey quickly. The shock of him dying?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

$200/mo. -- how much would that be in today's money?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: September 13th, 2023, 8:56 am Irene's hair sure turned grey quickly. The shock of him dying?

Nah, she was grey before that, Boles too as they show a scene with the two of them (already together 25 years) canoodling on her couch. Still discreetly and tastefully of course, even for a pre-code.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

If only Rae had met his mother at the park all those years ago....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 15th, 2023, 8:52 pm If only Rae had met his mother at the park all those years ago....
LOL. That damn sister of hers! I would've dared her to off herself.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 15th, 2023, 8:52 pm
Hibi wrote: September 13th, 2023, 8:56 am Irene's hair sure turned grey quickly. The shock of him dying?

Nah, she was grey before that, Boles too as they show a scene with the two of them (already together 25 years) canoodling on her couch. Still discreetly and tastefully of course, even for a pre-code.
Yeah, there were some grey streaks, but I don't think she was totally white like in the last scene.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 15th, 2023, 8:48 pm $200/mo. -- how much would that be in today's money?
Any economists on the board???
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Hibi wrote: September 18th, 2023, 9:56 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 15th, 2023, 8:48 pm $200/mo. -- how much would that be in today's money?
According to the U.S. Inflation Calculator (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/), $200 in 1932 would be $4,482.13 today. One could live on that today, but probably not in Manhattan. Also, Walter didn't always remember to pay this allowance.

One of my biggest pet peeves is films about intelligent women who fall in love with men who aren't worth the sacrifices they make. But it depends on how viewers look at this film--are they focusing on the great star-crossed romance, or the shabbiness of Ray's life while waiting for Walter to make time for her? And I wonder what contemporary readers and viewers thought of Ray rejecting a financially good marriage to Kurt.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

j.lunatic wrote: September 18th, 2023, 11:26 am
According to the U.S. Inflation Calculator (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/), $200 in 1932 would be $4,482.13 today. One could live on that today, but probably not in Manhattan. Also, Walter didn't always remember to pay this allowance.

One of my biggest pet peeves is films about intelligent women who fall in love with men who aren't worth the sacrifices they make. But it depends on how viewers look at this film--are they focusing on the great star-crossed romance, or the shabbiness of Ray's life while waiting for Walter to make time for her? And I wonder what contemporary readers and viewers thought of Ray rejecting a financially good marriage to Kurt.
I wouldn't mind living on that. I take home way less than that! Pretty comfy. Thanks for the calculation! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

But it's all for love! Ray didn't love Kurt. Not sure what I would've done, but I would've refused to live on the BACK STREET! I would've taken lovers on the side when Walter couldn't make time. And I wouldn't have given up my career either. I might have moved, but still kept my income. What's good for the gander....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: September 18th, 2023, 9:55 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 15th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Yeah, there were some grey streaks, but I don't think she was totally white like in the last scene.

You're probably right although I wouldn't want to watch this film again to find out, lol. Poor Rae, of course it was traumatic losing her beloved but I thought only severe trauma (like Marie Antoinette in the Bastille awaiting the axe) could make one's hair turn completely white in so short a time.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

j.lunatic wrote: September 18th, 2023, 11:26 am

Thanks! Wow, that's quite a sum. And the son initially asked if it was weekly!
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 20th, 2023, 12:41 am
Thanks! Wow, that's quite a sum. And the son initially asked if it was weekly!
Yes, that's nice money if you can get it. Earlier this week I watched Alimony Madness (1933), a Poverty Row potboiler about the wrongs of alimony. An architect, intending to do right by his first wife, agreed to give her $1,000 per month ($23,617.38 today). Then the scandal of the divorce drives away most of the architect's clients. He is repeatedly hauled into court, and thrown in jail at least twice for failing to pay.
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

And tax free too!! (from Ray's standpoint).
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

What I want to know is how Rae occupied herself all those years in between visits from lover boy. Since she voluntarily gave up a lucrative career, what filled her life apart from "romance" (i.e. sex with Walter) -- visits with family, friends, going to the movies, theatre, museums, shopping? Volunteer work for The Salvation Army down in the Bowery?