Bug Night

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: Bug Night

Post by Hibi »

That's true. She does get some revenge in before her bad end. I like this film a little bit more than Wasp Woman mostly for the old lady and the voodoo aspect. But I love Susan Cabot in Wasp Woman despite the cheesy headgear.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I was impatient for The Bugs, thinking "Okay we've celebrated Garbo, now bring on MOTHRA!!"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Considering that the "Bug Night" theme was about or at least started out being about giant creatures, instead of showing 'The Wasp Woman' I think they should have shown 'The Monster that Challenged the World'. You know, that really not all that bad sci-fi flick about giant slugs infesting California's Salton Sea.

And in addition because THEN I would've been able to graze upon that actress who I've always thought was, ahem, "as cute as a bug's ear"...

Audrey Dalton
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think that's one bug movie I haven't seen! Giant Slugs?????
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: September 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm Considering that the "Bug Night" theme was about or at least started out being about giant creatures, instead of showing 'The Wasp Woman' I think they should have shown 'The Monster that Challenged the World'. You know, that really not all that bad sci-fi flick about giant slugs infesting California's Salton Sea.

And in addition because THEN I would've been able to graze upon that actress who I've always thought was, ahem, "as cute as a bug's ear"...

Audrey Dalton
Check out Bat Masterson on GRITT starting Gene Barry. Audrey was featured in 3 episodes. She was in 6 episodes of Gunsmoke often playing a character related to her Irish heritage.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: September 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm [...] I would've been able to graze upon that actress who I've always thought was, ahem, "as cute as a bug's ear"...
I must wonder if you are using this as a clever way to acclimate us to the fact that you are a closet cannibal. Do you often dream of beautiful actresses being reduced to hors d'oeuvres, nibbles and finger sandwiches on a sideboard so that you might 'graze' on her tidbits while not committing to a full meal?
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well, in November, Dargo could fest his eyes on a 50 foot smorgasbord.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allison Hayes???? I love that movie! :D
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

laffite wrote: September 18th, 2023, 10:39 pm I had spilled the means to mother that I hated insects and she would not let me see Tarantula when it was first in the theaters. So I couldn't see it then and I have never seen it since. I could take it for sure now but I feel jinxed. I have seen Them! with no ill effects (back then). And it has not been my pleasure to see The Black Scorpion nor The Wasp Woman. Nor will I, ever.
Spiders are actually arachnids... perhaps you meant "bugs". :D
TARANTULA is amusing when one is under 10, but I recoil these days because of JOHN AGAR.

The boys are right WASP WOMAN is a "guilty pleasure" (a bad movie to enjoy for exactly what it is). It is trash. :smiley_yeah:

I saw the end of MOTHRA, fond folks-fodder memories.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I meant tarantula, loosely bug ... .
Mona
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: September 21st, 2023, 8:35 am I think that's one bug movie I haven't seen! Giant Slugs?????
TCM has shown this film starring Tim Holt (in one of this final film roles) and of course the previously mentioned (and as I said, the "cute as a bug's ear") Audrey Dalton a few times in the past, Hibi. I think I ran across their previous showing of it within the past two years or so.

It's actually not badly made at all, and in my view deserves a higher rating than the 5.7 that the IMDb website here has given it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050722/
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Masha wrote: September 21st, 2023, 1:56 pm
Dargo wrote: September 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm [...] I would've been able to graze upon that actress who I've always thought was, ahem, "as cute as a bug's ear"...
I must wonder if you are using this as a clever way to acclimate us to the fact that you are a closet cannibal. Do you often dream of beautiful actresses being reduced to hors d'oeuvres, nibbles and finger sandwiches on a sideboard so that you might 'graze' on her tidbits while not committing to a full meal?
Sorry Masha, but I'm not getting the connection between that old idiom I used earlier "as cute as a bug's ear" and with the idea of something being edible???

Although admittedly, my use of it here was probably misplaced, as it was/is usually said about a beautiful or very cute small child.

(...this was just a matter of me being unable to resist using it here in order to play off the theme of these films, that's all)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 21st, 2023, 1:20 pm
Dargo wrote: September 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm Considering that the "Bug Night" theme was about or at least started out being about giant creatures, instead of showing 'The Wasp Woman' I think they should have shown 'The Monster that Challenged the World'. You know, that really not all that bad sci-fi flick about giant slugs infesting California's Salton Sea.

Audrey Dalton
Check out Bat Masterson on GRITT starting Gene Barry. Audrey was featured in 3 episodes. She was in 6 episodes of Gunsmoke often playing a character related to her Irish heritage.
Thanks for the heads-up here, James.

Looking at Audrey's IMDb filmography right now, it seems the majority of her work was indeed in television and after she starred in this monster flick. I counted 41 TV roles compared to only 6 feature film roles after it.

(...and with perhaps her most memorable film made during this time being 1958's 'Separate Tables')
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Dargo wrote: September 21st, 2023, 6:59 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 21st, 2023, 1:20 pm

Audrey Dalton
Thanks for the heads-up here, James.

Looking at Audrey's IMDb filmography right now, it seems the majority of her work was indeed in television and after she starred in this monster flick. I counted 41 TV roles compared to only 6 feature film roles after it.

(...and with perhaps her most memorable film made during this time being 1958's 'Separate Tables')
Just like you, I looked up her films and T.V. appearances before posting. I was going to make the point that maybe The Monster that Challenged the World being such a stinker, this may have set back her film career, but since her first T.V. appearance was right after this film, I assume it was more about the growth of T.V. creating opportunities for actors in the early\mid 50s.

I agree her most memorable film is Separate Tables. She started out strong in the Olivia DeHavilland \ Richard Burton film, My Cousin Rachel.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Audrey Dalton
Audrey made the big time last weekend, when she appeared in Mr. Sardonicus on Svengoolie. She was basically Mrs. Sardonicus.

Btw, do leeches count as bugs?