Jason Isaacs plays Cary Grant in "Archie"

Dargo

Re: Jason Isaacs plays Cary Grant in "Archie"

Post by Dargo »

Okay, and NOW that I've had to once again PROVE my POINT here...LOL...

On this past weekend's presentation of 'CBS Sunday Morning" they featured a segment about this BritBox series and in which the CBS correspondant interviewed Jason Issacs on the set and while he was in full Cary Grant makeup and hairstyle mode. AND, I have to say Issacs DID give me a strong Cary vibe during this interview. He even seemed to have Cary's voice and distinctive accent down pretty well.

(...uh-huh, and even WITHOUT that prosthetic larger lower lip!) ;)

LOL
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: December 6th, 2023, 12:09 am n this thing here, he MIGHT have if only they would've put a prosthetic larger lower lip on the guy!!!

AND of which, btw, I STILL can't believe I got NO ONE to agree with me on this here! (un-huh, and kind'a like how no one but ME ever seems to hear Ben Mankiewicz's nasally voice EITHER!!!)
OK OK Dargo, calm down.

First let me say I only slightly hear Mankiewicz's nasal sound because I'm a NYer & everyone talks that way from Barbra Streisand to the Nanny. As someone who studies linguistics, I can accentuate/imitate my own accent for outsiders, "ham sandwich" & "flat tire" are two standout phrases.

Cary Grant does not have a particularly large lower lip-it's just that he has a very flat upper lip!
Even as a young man he held his upper lip tightly when talking, most likely in attempt to present his upper teeth, which is not natural for him.
Actors/actresses do all sorts of body/facial compensations hoping they translate more information than the words they are speaking.
What IS notable about Grant's face though, is the deep dimple in his chin.

I did like the gal who is playing Dyan Cannon, she seems to have captured Cannon's particular smokey look that age & surgery has since erased.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

The actress playing Dyan Cannon definitely had the look, and her acting seemed to get better as the show went along. I will say that none of the other cameo appearances by actors playing famous other actors (or directors) were at all evocative of their counterparts though. :lol: Hitchy was overweight, but not THAT massive, for instance.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks Nellie for your impressions-I had completely forgotten how impressed I was with RDJ as Chaplin.

I just abandoned fantasy movie with Theresa Russell (talented actress, a fave) depicting Marylin Monroe. The story takes place in Marylin's personal life, but Russell spoke using MM's breathy baby girl voice used for "dumb blondes" in movies.
Bad choice for your audience to suspend disbelief.

OTOH, the two that played L&H in Stan & Ollie used the actor's "movie" voices to perfection and simply toned it down for "personal, every day" spoken scenes. That added MUCH to the believabily & enjoyment of the portrayals.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 9th, 2023, 6:20 pm Are you talking about Insignificance?
Yes. I wanted to like it so much, Theresa Russell is such a fun actress.
But the choice of the charactor speaking in a fake voice was just too annoying for me.

Wonder if it was the director or actress' choice?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: December 10th, 2023, 6:10 am
Nellie LaRoy wrote: December 9th, 2023, 6:20 pm Are you talking about Insignificance?
Yes. I wanted to like it so much, Theresa Russell is such a fun actress.
But the choice of the charactor speaking in a fake voice was just too annoying for me.

Wonder if it was the director or actress' choice?
Might have been leftover from the stage play it was based on.... After all, although it's very clear who the characters in Insignificance are based on, they are referred to in the credits as "the actress", "the professor", etc. My guess is that the play is a what if saga, where everything is thought of through the lens of bigger-than-life personas, of public life as it might play out in private. So in that regard, the playwright would not know, or even much care, of what Marilyn sounded like offscreen.

Incidentally, Russell was married for a time to the director of Insignificance, Nicolas Roeg. He also directed her in Bad Timing, Eureka, a segment in Aria, Track 29, and Cold Heaven.