February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CinemaInternational

Re: February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by CinemaInternational »

Power of Film is dull, very dull, and for a series that airs on TCM, there are scabt few classic-era titles even discussed. It is all very surface level
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

umop apisdn wrote: January 5th, 2024, 8:14 pm Notorious will air on February 5th at 8:00 pm as part of an evening of Hitchcock films. Looks like the suspected rights issue of the last few years was cleared up.
But no Rebecca?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 25th, 2024, 3:16 pm Power of Film is dull, very dull, and for a series that airs on TCM, there are scabt few classic-era titles even discussed. It is all very surface level
I barely made it through the first episode. Passed on the rest. I don't like to feel like I'm being lectured in some class at my age........

"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: January 24th, 2024, 2:49 pm
TikiSoo wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 6:42 am Wasn't there a special Scorsese special segment where he talks about the movie Harold & Maude? Or is it just a 2 minute intro?
Sorry but I’m not aware of an extra or intro where Scorsese comments on Harold and Maude. Perhaps someone else can think of it.

The scheduled showing of Harold and Maude coming up on February 8 goes along with the Power of Film documentary series that evening, so Professor Howard Suber must comment on the film at some point in episode 6.
WTH???????? Noir Alley is preempted and this boring series is allowed to continue during Oscar month?????????????????
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:33 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: January 25th, 2024, 3:16 pm Power of Film is dull, very dull, and for a series that airs on TCM, there are scabt few classic-era titles even discussed. It is all very surface level
I barely made it through the first episode. Passed on the rest. I don't like to feel like I'm being lectured in some class at my age........

"
I understand fully. It feels as though it was designed mostly for teenagers who never really delved into the history of film before. What its doing taking up valuable airtime on a network whose fans all have seen a lot and know a lot about film is anyone's guess.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:30 pm
umop apisdn wrote: January 5th, 2024, 8:14 pm Notorious will air on February 5th at 8:00 pm as part of an evening of Hitchcock films. Looks like the suspected rights issue of the last few years was cleared up.
But no Rebecca?
Rebecca (1940) is scheduled on the afternoon of Feb. 14 in a 31 Days of Oscar section for screenplays. First time on TCM since 2017.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:30 pm
But no Rebecca?
Rebecca (1940) is scheduled on the afternoon of Feb. 14 in a 31 Days of Oscar section for screenplays. First time on TCM since 2017.
WOW. Thanks. I know it's been a long time.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:42 pm
Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:33 pm

"
I understand fully. It feels as though it was designed mostly for teenagers who never really delved into the history of film before. What its doing taking up valuable airtime on a network whose fans all have seen a lot and know a lot about film is anyone's guess.
The whole presentation feels very dry. I think the issue is that Howard Suber, the UCLA film professor who is narrating and speaking about these films, is presenting the information in a lecture format. The way he is speaking is very much how a college professor would speak--which makes sense since he's a professor, but it perhaps isn't the most interesting format for a television documentary. Even for me, someone who obviously likes film and likes documentaries, I find the way that the information is presented to be very dull. While I understand the points being presented, it is delivered in such an abstract way that it feels like a bunch of random statements and nothing cohesive. I tried to watch last night's episode about Heroes and Villains, after watching "Shane," and I came away feeling the same way I did after watching the first episode. His information is good and I get it, but none of the concepts are anything that I think about (or care about) when watching a film. I agreed with some of his points, like the hero is often kind of dull because his or her actions are predictable because they are the hero. The villain is more interesting because they can do whatever they want. But this documentary is not interesting whatsoever. After the episode ended, I watched the 4th episode of TCM's "Moguls and Movie Stars" documentary, which talked about the beginning of talkies and movies during the great depression, and it was a lot more interesting.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
CinemaInternational

Since Power of Film is on demand, I checked out the closing credits of the fourth part. 100 clips of film, and only 25 (a quarter!) were before 1970.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 28th, 2024, 5:04 pm Since Power of Film is on demand, I checked out the closing credits of the fourth part. 100 clips of film, and only 25 (a quarter!) were before 1970.
Wow. You'd think if anything, including more films from the Golden Age era would better prove their point about why films endure. I saw clips from Wonder Woman. That came out, what, 5 years ago? I don't think enough time has passed for it to be considered anything yet. I also saw clips from Avatar. Who is still talking about Avatar? This reminds me of those click bait articles that say things like "The top 50 greatest comedy films of all time" (e.g.) and every film is from within the last 15 years, with something like "Dumb and Dumber" thrown in for good measure.

I've seen this documentary receive rave reviews on things like Twitter (or X, whatever). But I kind of wonder if that's because TCM has a presence there; probably not as much in a forum like this one, so people don't want to post negative comments. But also, people don't want to be critical of TCM, especially when considering all of the drama of last summer. I'm not saying that people can't enjoy that documentary, they most certainly can and I'd love to know what they find so compelling about it, but it's interesting to see such a difference in audience reception.
CinemaInternational

speedracer5 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 2:49 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: January 28th, 2024, 5:04 pm Since Power of Film is on demand, I checked out the closing credits of the fourth part. 100 clips of film, and only 25 (a quarter!) were before 1970.
Wow. You'd think if anything, including more films from the Golden Age era would better prove their point about why films endure. I saw clips from Wonder Woman. That came out, what, 5 years ago? I don't think enough time has passed for it to be considered anything yet. I also saw clips from Avatar. Who is still talking about Avatar? This reminds me of those click bait articles that say things like "The top 50 greatest comedy films of all time" (e.g.) and every film is from within the last 15 years, with something like "Dumb and Dumber" thrown in for good measure.

I've seen this documentary receive rave reviews on things like Twitter (or X, whatever). But I kind of wonder if that's because TCM has a presence there; probably not as much in a forum like this one, so people don't want to post negative comments. But also, people don't want to be critical of TCM, especially when considering all of the drama of last summer. I'm not saying that people can't enjoy that documentary, they most certainly can and I'd love to know what they find so compelling about it, but it's interesting to see such a difference in audience reception.
Wonder Woman came out nearly 7 years ago now, but that is still far too soon to tell, especially since most of these comic book films have a short shelf life. Avatar was a big hit, but even with much higher ticket prices, its sequel didn't sell as many tickets.... I've never seen it.

The problem is that the series uses the new films like a crutch to get young people interested. But in the grand scheme of things so many of them simply aren't as interesting.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 29th, 2024, 3:08 pm
speedracer5 wrote: January 29th, 2024, 2:49 pm

Wonder Woman came out nearly 7 years ago now, but that is still far too soon to tell, especially since most of these comic book films have a short shelf life. Avatar was a big hit, but even with much higher ticket prices, its sequel didn't sell as many tickets.... I've never seen it.

The problem is that the series uses the new films like a crutch to get young people interested. But in the grand scheme of things so many of them simply aren't as interesting.
7 years. I don't think you can judge whether something has endured after only 7 years. Not to mention I never hear anyone talk about it. I don't even hear people talk about any of the comic book movies anymore. Ever since Marvel finished the original story with "Avengers Endgame," I don't think anyone cares about the films as much anymore. I think Marvel got too crazy with all the prequels, sequels, origin stories, side stories, TV shows, etc. etc. etc. they over saturated the story, and made it way too convoluted and overwhelming, the shows and tv shows are bombing now. I'm not sure that DC was ever "in," they keep trying to make their own Universe, but I think the public has more or less moved on.

I saw Avatar when it was new, back in 2009 because the 3D was touted as the next thing. While visually it was cool, the story was just a rehash of Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest and Pocahontas and not nearly as entertaining. I also didn't find the animation appealing. I've never felt the desire to see it again. Why sequels are just now being made is beyond me. Maybe it has to do with Disney building Avatar lands in their theme parks.

I think we're just now learning what 80s-00s films have endured, but I really wish that studios would stop remaking their popular properties for modern audiences. Don't even get me started on the remake of Road House. That is a movie that could only exist in the 80s and Jake Gyllenhaal is no Patrick Swayze. I saw a preview and I don't even think it takes place in a Road House! The road house in the film was a character by itself.

I've noticed that a lot of the "message" movies or the ones that address a current (at the time) issue, even if they were acclaimed and award winning, have all but disappeared. I hate the assumption that some people make that younger audiences, even audiences my age (and I'm turning 40 this year! :'( ) can't possibly know about or care about movies made from before they were born. Maybe if these types of documentaries gave people a chance to see if they care about older films, they could expand the audience. I am almost instantly turned off if a supposed film history documentary only shows films that I was old enough to see in the theater. I don't care about these movies, I was there, I want to know about things that came out decades before myself or even my parents were born. That is far more interesting.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:35 pm
TikiSoo wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 6:42 am Wasn't there a special Scorsese special segment where he talks about the movie Harold & Maude? Or is it just a 2 minute intro?
Sorry but I’m not aware of an extra or intro where Scorsese comments on Harold and Maude. Perhaps someone else can think of it.

The scheduled showing of Harold and Maude coming up on February 8 goes along with the Power of Film documentary series that evening, so Professor Howard Suber must comment on the film at some point in episode 6.
WTH???????? Noir Alley is preempted and this boring series is allowed to continue during Oscar month?????????????????
31 Days of Oscar begins Feb. 9, so that the last day is the day the statuettes are handed out for real. The last episode of The Power of Film is the night before.

Noir Alley is being preempted for another Demographic Checkbox Weekend.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Fedya wrote: January 29th, 2024, 7:19 pm
Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2024, 5:35 pm

31 Days of Oscar begins Feb. 9, so that the last day is the day the statuettes are handed out for real. The last episode of The Power of Film is the night before.

Noir Alley is being preempted for another Demographic Checkbox Weekend.

Strange, but thanks for explaining.