The end of the Homosexual murderer?

Allhallowsday

Re: The end of the Homosexual murderer?

Post by Allhallowsday »

Swithin wrote: January 27th, 2024, 10:05 am The title of this thread "The end of the homosexual murderer?," reminds me of lines from Joe Orton's play Loot.
A policeman enters and says, "You remember me, Truscott of the Yard. I solved the case of the limbless girl killer."
A character responds: "Who would kill a limbless girl?"
Truscott: "She was the killer."

Reminds me of PRICK UP YOUR EARS (1987) A Gay killer, and yet just coincidentally...

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) Is Bruno Anthony gay? If not, he's ...queer.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo, I thought of a more recent one where a poisoning fails... and succeeds.

THE FAVORITE (2011) Gay for Pay Killer wannabe?

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 27th, 2024, 4:43 pm STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951) Is Bruno Anthony gay? If not, he's ...queer.

Definitely coded that way, as best could be done under the Production Code, from the outset, kicked off by the shot of his dandy shoes as he's approaching the train station. And it's too bad it's not in color. I wonder what colors are on that jacket and lobster tie? Incidentally, the satin & silk dressing gown Bruno wears while at home is the same gown Monty Woolley wears in The Man Who Came To Dinner.

The film also presages what has become more common in recent times: the celebrity stalker, especially one who will do something outrageous or illegal in an attempt to impress.

The novel is a bit different from the movie, for Guy Haines actually goes through with his end of the bargain. Patricia Highsmith was not one to look on the bright side of things...