Netflix, Adverts, and Technical Problems

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Swithin

Netflix, Adverts, and Technical Problems

Post by Swithin »

When I switched my mobile phone provider to T-Mobile, it came with the unexpected gift of free Netflix. Apart from a one-month Netflix subscription gift about 15 years ago, I never really bothered about Netflix, but the free streaming was a nice surprise. Recently, my free Netflix service (Basic) switched to one with ads (Standard with ads). The ads are annoying, but since the service is still free, I wasn't too bothered about it.

But here's the problem. Since they've changed the service, I can no longer view Netflix on my television. It works on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop, but not on the TV. I've been on the phone with T-Mobile, trying various things, but no one can figure it out. They even brought Netflix and Sony on the calls, to no avail. The way I access Netflix on my television was to go to TiVo Central, and click on the Netflix App. Netflix seems to load, but when I click on a film, I get this message:

"Your plan does not support streaming on this device."

We've tried everything, so I think I just may switch my phone service to a slightly cheaper plan. I've enjoyed a few shows on Netflix, but most of them are finished, and I'm mad at them for not giving us Season 4 of Babylon Berlin anyway.

I can of course hook up one of my other devices to my TV, but it's not that important. I'm just curious as to the technical nature of the problem. I went into my local T-Mobile store, and they don't understand why it's happening either. I also had a troubleshooting session with my cable company.
jimimac71

Re: Netflix, Adverts, and Technical Problems

Post by jimimac71 »

Nothing is really free.
I used Netflix on DVD years ago.
I only have cable, which costs a bloody fortune.
Everyone is going with ad supported streaming as if it makes more money than subscription.
Some believe streaming has more annoying ads than cable.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

One issue with using TiVo might be that the application it uses to connect to Netflix would be older/less likely to have been updated. As opposed to other streaming devices that have apps that are more frequently updated and tested against the current Netflix interface.

There is a Netflix help page for this error, but it does not mention TiVo specifically:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/127864

As Netflix changes their plans (such as adding ad-supported options, etc.), streaming apps may need to be updated to work properly. The help page suggestions for many of the devices listed say that older versions of the various devices will not work with the Netflix ad-supported plans.

Therefore I would guess that the issue is related to TiVo connecting to an ad-supported plan, and is not really related to your T-Mobile plan. Anyone trying to use TiVo to connect to this type of Netflix plan will have the same problem.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

cmovieviewer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:49 pm One issue with using TiVo might be that the application it uses to connect to Netflix would be older/less likely to have been updated. As opposed to other streaming devices that have apps that are more frequently updated and tested against the current Netflix interface.

There is a Netflix help page for this error, but it does not mention TiVo specifically:

As Netflix changes their plans (such as adding ad-supported options, etc.), streaming apps may need to be updated to work properly. The help page suggestions for many of the devices listed say that older versions of the various devices will not work with the Netflix ad-supported plans.

Therefore I would guess that the issue is related to TiVo connecting to an ad-supported plan, and is not really related to your T-Mobile plan. Anyone trying to use TiVo to connect to this type of Netflix plan will have the same problem.
Thanks, I guess that's the problem. I did go to Netflix.com as the page suggests, but my account there does have the correct, updated information. It automatically logs me on, since I can watch on my laptop, phone, or iPad.

The guy in the T-Mobile store suggested I phone T-Mobile during the day and during the week, when I will get "someone in the States." But I think it's an insurmountable problem, due to the nature of my television, according to the Sony guy. It's just made me realize that I don't think I really need Netflix. I'll make up my mind before the next billing cycle begins.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 10:02 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 9:49 pm One issue with using TiVo might be that the application it uses to connect to Netflix would be older/less likely to have been updated. As opposed to other streaming devices that have apps that are more frequently updated and tested against the current Netflix interface.

Thanks, I guess that's the problem. I did go to Netflix.com as the page suggests, but my account there does have the correct, updated information. It automatically logs me on, since I can watch on my laptop, phone, or iPad.

The guy in the T-Mobile store suggested I phone T-Mobile during the day and during the week, when I will get "someone in the States." But I think it's an insurmountable problem, due to the nature of my television, according to the Sony guy. It's just made me realize that I don't think I really need Netflix. I'll make up my mind before the next billing cycle begins.
I agree with cmoviereviewer as to the source of the problem. If your device is that old (15 years), it could be that its operating system is too old to support the latest Netflix app.

I use Roku, and there is an option to check when the app was last updated and manually update an app using the remote. Is there such an option for Tivo? You might try that before giving up completely. Sometimes automatic updates don't happen, for whatever reason. Or, it might have attempted to update and failed at some point. Either way, it could confirm the source of the problem
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: February 4th, 2024, 6:48 am
Swithin wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 10:02 pm

I agree with cmoviereviewer as to the source of the problem. If your device is that old (15 years), it could be that its operating system is too old to support the latest Netflix app.

I use Roku, and there is an option to check when the app was last updated and manually update an app using the remote. Is there such an option for Tivo? You might try that before giving up completely. Sometimes automatic updates don't happen, for whatever reason. Or, it might have attempted to update and failed at some point. Either way, it could confirm the source of the problem
Evidently my TV is not as smart as I thought it was. It's a Sony Bravia XBR from 2010, so there's nothing Sony can do to upgrade the operating system. I just have to decide how important watching Netflix on my television is to me. The Amazon Prime addition of ads presents no problem to that service.

If I opt for a cheaper T-Mobile plan without Netflix, I would also lose Apple TV, which means losing Slow Horses! The T-Mobile plan I would switch to would only give me Apple TV for six months. But I will probably buy a new Apple product by then, which would add an additional three months.

More important are the other implications of regressing my phone/data plan, which I have to explore more fully.

If I just keep what I have now, I could still watch Netflix on my other devices. Much of Netflix-watching has been done on my iPad, whilst on the treadmill, anyway.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Just for fun, I went to Netflix using my iPad and Goggle Chrome.
Got a message:

“Please make some updates

To access all features, please update your browser, operating system, or device. You can learn more about updates here, or sign in below.”

Using Safari on my iPad is fine. I’m not a subscriber.
Only Chrome doesn’t work. Firefox and all the others are fine.
I have 5 browsers to choose from beyond Safari.
Still looking for the best fit for iPad and Android.
Even though my iPad is older, iPad OS is current Everything is current.
I’m surprised at a problem with Google Chrome. For many, the most popular browser.
It isn’t a level of service issue. I can’t get beyond the error screen since I don’t have a login.