Solar Eclipse?

Chit-chat, current events
Masha

Solar Eclipse?

Post by Masha »

I wonder how many people here are in a place where they will experience the solar eclipse.

We were within driving distance of the path of totality of the eclipse of 2017. I found it to be a unique experience which is difficult to describe. What was easy was understanding why people long thought they were evil omens.

We are technically within driving distance of the path of totality for this eclipse but will not do it for several reasons.

What are your plans?
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Re: Solar Eclipse?

Post by Dargo »

Well, my only plan so far is to find a certain Manfred Mann cover of a Springsteen song on YouTube tomorrow morning, listen to it, and then heed his mama's advice.

(...so, ever wonder if Optometrists do bigger business after one of these things happen?...I'll bet they DO!)
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Both of my sisters are in Texas, in the path of totality. If I didn't have an elderly father to look after, I would have thought very seriously about flying down to visit them.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

I will sit on my patio for the eclipse. I'm within the path of totality.

Edited update: The forecast today was for cloudy skies. At sunrise, it was partly cloudy. It's now completely overcast. My experience will likely be just seeing how dark it gets. The peak will be around our local solar noon (solar noon at 1:28pm; totality between 1:41 and 1:44)

12:30 (and last) update: Eclipse is starting here and we've lucked out a bit. The high clouds from earlier have mostly moved off and left behind puffy cumulus clouds, so the sun is actually casting shadows.
Last edited by txfilmfan on April 8th, 2024, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Too bad TCM couldn't show Barabbas today.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

The eclipse scene from the Our Gang short Little Sinner (1935)

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:48 am What was easy was understanding why people long thought they were evil omens.
Some still think so, and they have access to Twitter/X, and use it a lot.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

I'm like txfilmfan, I'll just go outside and watch the clouds darken during the 100% totality here. Supposed to start raining a couple of hours afterwards with possibly severe t-storms tomorrow when the movers are supposed to bring some stuff from my son's house (that he's getting ready to sell.) Feel sorry for those who drove/flew here for the event.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

txfilmfan wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:06 am
Masha wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:48 am What was easy was understanding why people long thought they were evil omens.
Some still think so, and they have access to Twitter/X, and use it a lot.
Has anyone tried to blame the eclipse on climate change yet? I don't pay enough attention to that corner of Twitter to know, but I know last Friday local news called up a college professor to try to tie the earthquake to climate change. :lol:
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

I live in Oregon, so unfortunately, we are only supposed to get a partial eclipse. I did see the total eclipse in 2017 which was pretty cool. The partial eclipse is supposed to start in about an hour or so at 10:30am (PST). I'll look out the window and see if I can see anything. Unfortunately, it is pretty cloudy today, so I am not sure if I'll see anything.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
Masha

Post by Masha »

Fedya wrote: April 8th, 2024, 11:14 am
Has anyone tried to blame the eclipse on climate change yet?
I have not seen that.

I have seen people say that it should have been on a weekend when more people could see and enjoy it. They have not blamed any specific person or agency which they hold responsible for this poor scheduling but they are sure that someone somewhere is to blame.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

We're not in the path of totality here in South Florida but I did see a few iguanas and alligators wearing those special eclipse glasses.

We've learned to be prepared for anything in the Sunshine State.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:03 pm We're not in the path of totality here in South Florida but I did see a few iguanas and alligators wearing those special eclipse glasses.

We've learned to be prepared for anything in the Sunshine State.
Yeah, that made the national news, Bronxie!

;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It got pretty dark here in Ohio, but it didnt last that long. This was the darkest eclipse I've seen so far. (I don't trust those glasses and never use those or look up. Just went out to look around). The past ones were Bleh. That said, I'm glad its over. So sick of the hype for this for weeks now. On to the next overexposed news story.....